Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald In Quad??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who's Nick?

Anytime sex and/or relationship with wife/peace in the house becomes more important than music let me (or somebody) know.
Guys like me have been liberating collections and gear from guys both pre and post divorce for years now.
It's always the same, a gal starts feeling second place behind the music when she knew he was a musician/musicophile
when she married him, and now she wants to put her foot down.

Wives ask me what to do about their husbands and their music and stereo gear ``cluttering up their houses'', and I tell `em
`If you don't sit down and shut up, you better watch out, this ain't the 50's or 70's no more.
A guy WILL choose his stereo and records these days over you and leave you out in the cold if pressed too hard.
If you want to entertain your girlfriends with a luncheon or a soiree or other higher-class affair,
go rent a hall if you want to save your marriage.'

Those that rent the halls or find some other venue in which to play house are all still married.
Those that didn't, I have all their husband's records, tapes and gear.

This thread should be titled "The dark side of quad"!!

we need a wife/husband FAQ Advice thread: example:

Wife: Honey, the boxes under our bed seem to be piling up. Can they be moved to the garage?

Husband: No, that stuff requires a climate controlled environment.

Wife: Dont you already have a receiver like that?

Husband: pretend like you didnt hear that question

Wife: Do you always have to use the kitchen table to work on that stuff?

Husband: Awe c'mon I stopped cleaning carburetors here just like you asked.

Always, ALWAYS be there first after UPS or Fedex drops that package off on the front porch and use gentle reminders like: "I was like this when you married me" !!!!!!!:)

Steve

Or do like they do in Japan: men have their own residences, either by themselves or else with other similarly minded men,
and the women have their own houses, either by themselves or with other similarly minded women.
Plus, kids go to residential educational centers from when they are 4 til they are 21, five-and-a-half days a week.
So you wanna know why Japanese people live to be 120 and have 98 year marriages?

They both work.
They both have their own houses where they can do as they please uninterrupted.
They both contribute to taking care of kids equally.
They don't have to tolerate said kids behavior problems.
They spend their own discretionary money as they see fit without those complaining their space is being enroached upon and

They Pencil Each Other In When They Need To, Have Their Fun and then Go Home.

My grandmother used to whine and cry about ANY man's stuff. My records, my grandfather's cars, my father's rifles,
everything was `You're not using it, why doncha throw it out and clean this place up?!'.

One day we all ganged up on her and said (imitating Grandma's raspy whining voice) You don't sew with any of those china thimbles you have on the wall! Why doncha throw em out?! You don't eat off of any of this china in the cabinet! Why doncha throw it out?! You don't cook out of none of them cookbooks, why doncha throw em out?! You won't let the girls play with any of them dolls,
why doncha throw em out?!'

They all got divorced within the year. They sold the great big house on the hill, Granddad moved in with three other recently divorced granddads with pretty much the same hobbies and complaints, my grandmother moved in with four other similar senior citizen ladies, and everybody lived happily ever after, especially after I went to Radio Television and Film Academy to live and study in the 4th grade.

And of course Everybody Lived Happily Ever After.

And people STILL think co-ed housing, education, employment, interaction, socialization, etc etc etc is such a Good Thing.

Here's your Sign.

So, back on topic, been doing all kinds of transfers of all this leftover-from-production-house-for-quad-radio-only mixes
and as soon as I can find and learn a good way to author DVD-A SACD or DTS, then whoever wants my transfers can have em.

I would love to have any and all of your transfers, in either DVD-A SACD or DTS, whichever is most convenient for you. Please let me know what the cost will be so I can start to save my nickels and dimes.

Thanks again,

MTGC (Michael)

Always, ALWAYS be there first after UPS or Fedex drops that package off on the front porch and use gentle reminders like: "I was like this when you married me" !!!!!!!:)

That's funny because it's true!!! I've used both those techniques MANY times in the last 20+ years... sometimes they even work! ;)

Luckily my wife is usually out picking up our son from school when the USPS drops off my load of Lp mailers...

That's funny because it's true!!! I've used both those techniques MANY times in the last 20+ years... sometimes they even work! ;)

Luckily my wife is usually out picking up our son from school when the USPS drops off my load of Lp mailers...

Well, it worked like a champ today again and were still married after 25 years!! LOL:D

Steve

How in the hell did this discussion end up in my thread?:D
Although it is entertaining, I want to hear the rest of the story of the treasures to come from the basement!:sun

How in the hell did this discussion end up in my thread?:D

Which discussion is that?
A) How to Train a Wife to Go Along to Get Along,
B) How to Ingratiate Yourself into the Graces of Old Fat Smelly Sound Engineers
C) How to Spend Time Transferring Thousands of Tapes Therefrom.

Although it is entertaining, I want to hear the rest of the story of the treasures to come from the basement!:sun

Well, like I said, a lot of the first batch of 7-1/2 IPS radio-production house versions of Quad all sound as if kids in the production houses were just taking 2-track safety dubs from labels and piping em through a QSD-1000 to make the quad masters to send to duplication and eventual release to Quad FM stations, cuz they all sound the same.

So getting tired of that, I switched to the 3-track and 4-track production stems leftover from radio, TV and record production.

The last batch as you see above was Nino & April, some of which have 2 reels of stage tapes and others which have three.
The productions with two reels (or that we have two reels of) have mono basic tracks, stereo background vocals and mono lead
(or vice versa) and ones we have three or more reels of, have stereo basic tracks with stereo background vocals and mono lead.

The latest one is a track by Toni Harper, which should be an anthem for 3/4 of the guys here, myself included called Big Boy,
an outtake from her RCA sessions in the mid 60's recorded at Music Center of the World on Sunset
(now Los Angeles Film School) around the corner from what was once Allied Record Pressing.

So for that I had four stage tapes:
a) 3-track basic (i.e. rhythm)
b) That mixed to mono and 2 takes of an oboe overdub
(performances do not sync, so I spliced between them to make one)
c) All that mixed to mono and 2 takes of the background singers
(the performances didn't sync well enough together even after correction
so, again I cut and splice between the two to get the best overall phrasing and pronunciation)
d) Background singers mixed to mono, tracks mixed to mono and a mono lead.

So I start with the basics, sync the two oboe tracks to that with a thousand edits in the silence between phrases,
make one out of two, do the same with the background singers, and then sync the lead to that and do a layback.

From that new six-track master I now have, I mix a normal stereo of the basics and oboe, center the lead, and split the mono background singers left and right a-la Kenwood 9940 version of SQ applied to a non SQ track.

Then for the quad I take the 3 track basics and oboe, center the oboe and lead, since they are not playing at the same time they can share one, leave the background vocals off entirely from the front mix and then take the same 3-track basics I used for the front, leave the oboe off, add a little reverb, and center just the background vocals with no lead to have a rear mix.

And do that over and over and over and over for the thousands of music and TV production reels still in the trailer from Michigan.

Tom Diehl has the Nino & April in both 90-90 phaseout generic matrix as well as full discrete fronts and rears.
ArmyOfQuad has the Toni Harper and whatever else you want like Jerry Howard's Cold Little Girl, released on Imperial
which I have as of yet been unable to sync, can feel free to PM.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update ndiamone.
I enjoy the engineering aspects and also the treasure hunting stories.
One thing I wonder is with all this editing are you using a razor blade and analogue tape? :mad:@:
Or are you transferring to the computer and using something like sound forge or cubase? :phones

With all this editing are you using a razor blade and analogue tape or are you transferring to the computer and using something like sound forge or cubase?

Adobe Audition is the only PC tool worth buying unless you're restoring vinyl in which case it's Diamond Cut Pro.

But yes I affix leader to both ends with a razor blade and EdiTall block, and/or separate selections within a reel with leader tape the same way.

Of course with 4-track stereo with 2 or even 4 mono sides on it, that you can't do anything with but header and footer it.

Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald in Quad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8bta-7aw (well the performance anyway).

OK, told you I wasn't imagining things.
Somebody on YouTube found the same track I have yet to dig out of everything I dragged back from Michigan.
No there's no encoding, but it sounds exactly like the performance on the quad reel we had at the station eons ago.

It's a different take (minus the newscaster footage and radio transmissions of course).
Original single and album mix we all know: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zeezy#p/u/5/9vST6hVRj2A

And, yes, if somebody local to the South Bay/Silicon Valley wants to come help lift, carry and categorize studio tapes,
I've got a couple weeks free after three years that I can actually go to storage uninterrupted and see what's there, then
everybody can have transfers of obscure 4-track production stems of people they never heard of and practice remixing.

PM me for details.

Back