Black Sabbath "Paranoid" CD+DVD/DTS Release October 7th 2008

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank goodness for QQ and the hard working members doing what these idiot labels completely miss the boat on AGAIN.

I marvel at the discs and artwork that I get to enjoy and find myself more and more grateful for what we have going... !

From the booklet with Paranoid, the original tape to digital transfer was done by Tim Hunt. There is a dedication to him at the end, so he may no longer be with us.

Malcolm

From the booklet with Paranoid, the original tape to digital transfer was done by Tim Hunt. There is a dedication to him at the end, so he may no longer be with us.

Malcolm

Tim Hunt died February '07 according to this..

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=23932771&blogID=229678385

It's unclear as to whether Tim Hunt unearthed/supervised the transfer of the quad mix tapes from Sanctuary's vaults or the original master tapes themselves for the stereo cd remaster.. but either way I'm sorry to say the producer of the project should have made a decision not to release a 5.1 mix based on the wretched quality of the source material used. It would have been disappointing not to have had it included, of course, but for me less so than the finished product, sadly.

Also in the liner note credits it says "This project is indebted to the expertise and highly tuned ears of Monte Conner & Hugh Gilmour". Now I don't want to be rude but if the "highly tuned ears" of these guys approved the 5.1 mix on this set of Paranoid, I strongly urge the two of them to get their hearing checked out!!

where it actually sounds like an LP transfer, pops ticks and other odd noises are very apparent (Iron Man particularly).
Malcolm

My copy arrived yesterday. To me, it does sound like a badly setup CD-4 demodulator was used for the LP transfer. There is bad distortions just in the places where the sound should be coming from one speaker, then the next.
It does not sound to me like a "bad tape" distortion. The separation is not crisp like a tape would sound like. So I'm voting that this came from a CD-4 LP transfer, using a poorly adjusted/malfunctioning demodulator.

Vinylguy4

My copy arrived yesterday. To me, it does sound like a badly setup CD-4 demodulator was used for the LP transfer. There is bad distortions just in the places where the sound should be coming from one speaker, then the next.
It does not sound to me like a "bad tape" distortion. The separation is not crisp like a tape would sound like. So I'm voting that this came from a CD-4 LP transfer, using a poorly adjusted/malfunctioning demodulator.

Vinylguy4

Wow! :eek: I'll bet your right. I trust the ears of the QQ members. I'm looking forward to more reviews IF I might buy this...

I canceled my Amazon.UK order for this title. I might buy it next month, but I'm still working on my Diana Krall collection! :D At least she's on SACD and I got 2 different titles for about the same price as this B. S. set.

I find myself in a dilemma with this title. When an “official” Quadraphonic re-release is offered do you buy even though the quality is not there? Does buying this title help support perhaps more Quadraphonic re-releases or not? I mean they did release a multi-channel mix here, they did have the mindset to do so. On the other hand, did they actually think anyone would buy just another repackaged CD when we already own the title? No wonder the music industry is so fucked up! The industry's mindset has gotten smaller along with their profits and the sound quality of music.

it's just dawned on me that if this Tim Hunt fellow did indeed pass away in Feb '07... then has this quadraphonic mix been sitting gathering dust for over two years!?

and if so, perhaps the logic for eschewing sacd (or hi-resolution dvd audio) so late in the day wasn't based on the mix being substandard (which it patently must have been considered to be all along!) but sheer economies of scale or just plain ignorance of the different formats and their capabilities!? sad.

also, i do wonder how much experience any of the people on this project had of multi-channel audio or indeed quadraphonic?

perhaps Tim Hunt, or whoever else is mentioned in this reissue's liner notes that has any substantial credits in their cv, or is respected in the recording industry, had nothing to do with the quad transfer!?

maybe some young upstart, with no idea what they were doing, just did 10 minutes research, got hold of a CD4 of the album (god knows how? or on any kind of real world budget!) and assembled a bunch of old decoding kit they'd just bought off ebay, heard this dreadful quad mix playback and naturally assumed that all was well - assuming that as it all came from the 1970's, before they were born, this "quadraphonic music" must have been bad quality back then too!! if this was the case.. how did this happen!? infuriating is too mild.. the more i think about it, the more enraged i get!

I would stay away from this copy and find an alternative (Romanotrax LP transfer I recommend), you WILL be disappointed, a wasted opportunity !

Malcolm

Well after all the "GREAT":rolleyes: reviews I guess i will just stick with my CD4 conversion on DVDA.

I have been lurking/watching this discussion thread for some time, very excited to hear about the release of "Paranoid" on SACD. It was one of my favorite albums back in HS (early 70's).

Then to read about the actual quality of the release has been a big disappointment. I REALLY wanted to hear this in quality surround.

So now, I'm forced to come out of lurking and reveal my ignorance. What is the Romanotrax conversion which has been mentioned several times above in this thread? Is it the same as the CD4 conversion on DVDA? And how does one acquire a copy of it?

I have been imagining War Pigs, Iron Man, etc., in surround for so long, I need to figure out how to get it. I hope the question (and my ignorance) does not offend QQ protocol. Thank you.

And now comes this from Universal/Sanctuary UK:

Following the release of the expanded Paranoid set, Universal to issue two more classic Black Sabbath albums in the Deluxe format with an
additional CD of outtakes etc. Nothing about hi-rez of surround mixes. I doubt it, but who knows, so . . KEEP THE EMAIL'S GOING! email: [email protected]

Black Sabbath

CD 1
1. Black Sabbath
2. The Wizard
3. Behind The Wall Of Sleep
4. N.I.B.
5. Evil Woman, Don't Play Your Games With Me
6. Sleeping Village
7. Warning

CD 2
1. Wicked World
2. Black Sabbath Minus Rain and with Alternative Lyrics
3. Black Sabbath Instrumental
4. The Wizard With Jocular Banter
5. Behind The Wall Of Sleep With "Dry" Vocal
6. N.I.B. Alternative Mix
7. Evil Woman, Don't Play Your Games With Me With Horns & Flute
8. Sleeping Village Alternative Mix
9. Warning Part 1

Master Of Reality

CD 1
1. Sweet Leaf
2. After Forever
3. Embryo
4. Children Of The Grave
5. Orchid
6. Lord Of This World
7. Solitude
8. Into The Void

CD 2
1. Weevil Woman
2. Sweet Leaf Demo
3. After Forever Instrumental
4. Children Of The Grave Alternative Lyrics
5. Children Of The Grave Instrumental
6. Orchid With Tony Iommi's Cough and Count In
7. Lord Of This World With Piano and Slide Guitar
8. Solitude Alternative Version With No Flute
9. Spanish Sid Early Version of "Into the Void"

I'm in complete despair by reading your feedback... I was so hoping to get a decent quad mix transfer. I just can't believe the wasted opportunity. First they announced a SACD... then DTS... in the end it's not full bitrate and it's obviously a crap job. This whole deluxe series seems to be there ONLY for cashing in. Completely disgusted :(

It is full bit rate. The meter on my Pioneer blu-ray player shows it as 1.53Mbps, which is as high as dts goes. The stereo mix is Dolby Digital (ridiculous, I know) at a bit rate of 0.44 which is the highest bit rate I've seen for Dolby Digital, not that anyone is going to play this anyway. I checked the Erasure Hits DVD and the Dolby Digital on there is 0.19 Mbps, and on For Your Eyes Only it is 0.22 Mbps.

I did not listen to any of the disks in the poorly packaged set, nor do I plan to. I just bought it in case my quad reel goes bad sometime in the future and to check the technical specs.

So now, I'm forced to come out of lurking and reveal my ignorance. What is the Romanotrax conversion which has been mentioned several times above in this thread? Is it the same as the CD4 conversion on DVDA? And how does one acquire a copy of it?
QUOTE]

Google is your friend.:D

After all the bad reports, I cancelled my order from CD Universe. I have a mint CD-4 copy, and I can't see spending fifty bucks (CDN) on an inferior version. :mad: ... especially with Lou's hotrod demod on the way ...

So now, I'm forced to come out of lurking and reveal my ignorance. What is the Romanotrax conversion which has been mentioned several times above in this thread? Is it the same as the CD4 conversion on DVDA?

Yes, that's the one.

I suppose there is no chnce of getting a vote on this one ? I have never known how to set that up !!!

we can then score it agaist Stormbringer and Insurgentes.

My own opinion for what its worth is 'well at least they tried'

In my opinion, the bonus CD of the Regent Sound Studio outtakes is well worth the price of admission alone. But *why* would they shove that into the package and not house this CD in the case like the other two CD's.? Sanctuary did this with the ELP SACD as well. NO EXCUSE!

Also the 2.0 DTS stereo mix was in fact well done and sounds fine. I'll go out on a limb and say a little smoother than the Parinoid remastered CD from the Warner/Rhino 'Black Box set' that was a also well done.

Was thinking about purchasing this title and after the reviews here... no way. Already have two dvd-a of it that sounds ok.
However, this is the second time that a cd4 LP transfer made its way into "official" release - the other is Tomita - and for both a Quad Reel was done back in the days.
So... why the use of a LP? Heck, for sure QR aren't easy to find and cheap but if the "original quad master" is not found there is at least ONE better source than a LP.

I don't have any other quad version to compare it to, so I'll say that I'm happy to have this although it certainly sounds a bit rough around the edges.

Back