Anyone hear the multichannel "Kind of Blue"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

captainwrong

I thought I saw the SACD version of Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" featured a 5.1 mix. Kind of Interesting, thinks me, considering it was recorded on 3 track tape and hardly is the type of music that I'd think of for the 5.1 treatment.

Just wondering if I'm hallucinating, or if this really exists and what in the world does it sound like?

I bought it when it came out, it's in 3-channel (front speakers) just like the original recording sessions. Also in 3-channel are the Dave Brubeck and Billie Holiday SACDs. They all sound good, but are not in total surround.

Ok, that's a bit of a relief. I was really concerned about what exactly they were putting in the rears, but 3 in the front only makes perfect sence.

was what they used to demo SACD for me and I did not like the mix. But a year later I bought a SACD player and kind of blue was included. The strange thing was how good it sounded at home???
Yea sounded bad at the store but better at home, it's usually the other way around.
I also love the Time out dave Brubeck Quartet 3 channel mix

I did get a chance to hear So What on a demo over the weekend. Y'know, I have yet to hear a SACD demo kiosk where the speakers were set up correctly. This one had everything shifted to the left one speaker so Left Rear was actually Left Front, Left front was center, and center was right front. Sigh.

Seemed to be a bit less hissy than the latest CD issue, but I still don't know how I feel about the multichannel aspect of it.

(Sidenote, I can't wait for the Bitches Brew M/C! Whoo hoo!!! And why do Live Evil as a stereo only. That had a quad mix as well. Grr...)

KOB IS in full surround. Both it & Time Out have ambience in the rears---they are NOT silent.

Billie Holiday "Lady In Satin" is also full surround. It is a fabulous, rich-sounding disc, one of my very favorites. Be careful not to buy the old stereo one--it was mastered incorrectly.
4ears

I'm new to SACD and Jazz and this is the first SACD I bought based on a recommendation from a friend. It sounds very nice. The three front channels are from the original three tracks while the rear channels are for ambiance only and supposedly reproduce the sound as it would have been coming off the back walls of the original recording location.

Back