Any insider news on "Heathen" SACD by Bowie?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bayards

This SACD (multichannel) seems to have gone quiet - Columbia had it on release schedule a while back but now I can't find it anywhere.

Howard

Just re-checked Amazon and release date is Dec 10th - excellent as I'll be popping over from UK to New York for some Christmas shopping!! Yay!

Howard

Good news - David Bowie's "Heathen" on Multichannel SACD was released last Tuesday.

It's now in stock at Tower Records and the Sam Goody and Media Play stores that carry SACDs as well as the web stores that carry SACD such as Elusive Disc, Music Direct and Red Trumpet.

Managed to get my copy at Twoer at the Lincoln Centre in NYC Friday and had a sneek listen yesterday once I had returned to the UK.

The sound itself is fabulous - even without the surround sound. It shows what a new recording sounds like on SACD - the bass is astounding and the clarity is crystal clear. I can only compare it to old DVD-A re-issues from the 70's which I own.

As for the surround - it shows a lot of thought has gone on by Tony Visconti. Not too many whizzy effects (though some are in evidence) but good separation and Bowie's voice is free of the clutter on the stereo edition (which I already had). Superb - I will add some more when the jetlag has gone!!

Howard

Great. I've heard from Bowie fans that the Heathen album is more accessible than his recent albums and that the Surround Mix is very immersive.

Got this last Tuesdayy (Dec 10) at Sam Goody (before they put it on the shelf) and have played it 3 times all the way through. The mix is so well done that after a while you don't even realize that you are listening to surround even though it comes from everywhere. The mix just seems to envelope you. Very natural sounding, nice bass and no gimmicky surround tricks. My favorite Bowie in a while!

Since I now have a universal player (Onkyo 800), I'm able to enjoy both DVD-A and SACD. Thank god I don't have to worry any longer about a title being released in one format or the other!

<em>Heathen</em> has become one of my favorite multi-channel discs, which is rather surprising because I very nearly didn't buy it. I had listened to those god-awful audio samples of tracks from the album at Amazon, which actually do a <strong>disservice</strong> since they sound just terrible. Boy, I'm really glad I took a chance.

I know that Bowie's music isn't for everyone, but this is a terrific album that should win awards for the production values alone (though it probably won't, since the disc never really sold all that well). The sound is just impeccable and just so totally appropriate for the mood of the music. I get the feeling that there was a deliberate attempt to invoke the feel of Bowie's music from the 70s and the 80s, with the greater weight given to Bowie's work with Eno (a real plus, IMHO). Favorite track (as of today): "I Took A Trip on a Gemini Spacecraft." Play it <strong>LOUD!!!</strong>

<em>Heathen</em> should <span style="text-decoration:underline">definitely</span> win some surround sound awards. From the very start, this is an <span style="text-decoration:underline">extremely</span> aggressive surround mix, but the best part is that the use of the 5.1 channels seems organic and planned from the outset. I got the new M/C Gloria Estefan SACD in the same order (I know, I have weird tastes in music) and <em>that</em> M/C mix sounds tacked on. <em>Heathen</em> simply sounds like it was always intended for M/C. I think this disc deserves a LOT of recognition.

<strong>Plus:</strong> The SACD has four -- count 'em -- four extra tracks from the regular CD: "When the Boys Come Marching Home," "Wood Jackson," "Conversation Piece," and "Safe."

Well, they just awarded the first set of Surround Awards. So the David Bowie SACD is probably eligible for next year's competition. Not sure how the nominating works.

While I haven't heard the Bowie SACD, so far all of the comments I've heard on that surround mix have been very positive.

As to the Gloria Estefan Multichannel SACD, I'd agree. Not a very impressive surround mix at all. On some tracks, the vocal level seems to low in Multichannel and the surround effects pop in and out vs. being coherent. Perhaps her next Multichannel SACD mix will be better.

>>Heathen should definitely win some surround sound awards. From the very start, this is an extremely aggressive surround mix, but the best part is that the use of the 5.1 channels seems organic and planned from the outset. I got the new M/C Gloria Estefan SACD in the same order (I know, I have weird tastes in music) and that M/C mix sounds tacked on. Heathen simply sounds like it was always intended for M/C. I think this disc deserves a LOT of recognition.

This disc really surprised me. It has one of the best surround mixes I have ever heard. The sonics are very good and the material is top-notch. Best Bowie in years!

I also agree on the Gloria Estefan disc. The mix just doesn't work. It is better in stereo.

And speaking of good Multichannel SACD mixes, Beck fans should watch for the new Multichannel SACD of his new "Sea Change" album.

That one as mixed for 5.1 by Elliot Scheiner and the surround mix on the title cut is a winner. I suspect the balance of the SACD will be good as well.

Back