Ambisonic uhj-b format

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malcolm2010

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Hi,
I have an Ambisonic recording, Runrig - The Cutter & the Clan that I want to decode. I have searched the web and links posted in this forum section but cannot find anything suitable. There are references to Angelo Farina's web site but he no longer has the FIR impulse responses available to use under plogue bidule or audiomulch. Another reference led me to "Ambisonics.exe" an alledged command line decoder, but again nothing.
The state of Ambisonics on the web is poor, seems like a lot of information but no structure !

Any help appreciated.

Malcolm

Last edited:
I checked again, and deep in the depths of Daniel Courvilles site I found the impulses.

Hooray !! now I will decode this cd and see what it is like surround wise.

Malcolm

Found thi googling:

"MATRICES IN THE 70S

Ambisonics at the time of the mid-70s used a matrix known as 45J.

BBC Matrix H was developed from an earlier Ambisonic matrix (H), to which the BBC added their own tweaks for improved performance.

There followed Matrix HJ which unified Matrix H and 45J.

UHJ included Duane Cooper's work, which was an important contribution.

The "U" for "Universal" comes from the marrying of Matrix HJ with UD-4 technology to create the final matrixing scheme. BBC continued to use Matrix HJ after Ambisonics went to UHJ as a consumer format conveyed by two channels compatible with stereo equipment. The general move to UHJ dates from around 1980."

Does this mean UHJ is close to Matrix H?

Lucanu the term UHJ came from a Matrix H and Matrix 45J derivative. I have a Compcor decoder that does both 45J and Matrix H, I may just try that and see what comes out of it.

I have scoured the web for information, lots of dead links and technical discussion but UHJ decoding is elusive. The sad thing is that just over 1 year ago I sold my Minim AD-10 ambisonic decoder as I no longer had a use for it.

Malcolm

Thanks for the link, I have that already. It is a B-Format decoder that does not accept UHJ. I used it in the Audiomulch decoder.

Malcolm

Here's the easy way! :smokin

Kal

Attachments

• ambisonics.jpg
    ambisonics.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 228
In effect, it was as I got the 861 for entirely other reasons and was not aware of this function until after.

Kal

Hi Kal
Ambisonics is a fine surround system. How do you like it? I would expect your Meridian DSP implemented version to be far better than my analogue Minim AD-7.
Does you Meridian decode only UHJ, or does it handle B-format also? Have you also tried out the "Superstereo" and "Trifield" modes?

Regds
RK

Hi Kal
Ambisonics is a fine surround system. How do you like it? I would expect your Meridian DSP implemented version to be far better than my analogue Minim AD-7.
Does you Meridian decode only UHJ, or does it handle B-format also? Have you also tried out the "Superstereo" and "Trifield" modes?

Regds
RK
UHJ & B-Format.

I rarely use any of these modes. Occasionally, I use Ambisonics when I suspect that the recording was made for this purpose and TriField for "effect" to expand large ensembles on a stereo source. Generally, I use direct or stereo, as appropriate.

Note that I am a little different from most folks here in that I am dedicated to getting the most accurate reproduction I can and multichannel is one important component. I am not dedicated to quad or surround, per se.

Kal

Last edited:
Back