QQ Top 10 Surround Music Discs of all time! (?)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Sound & Vision has created their list of the top 10 surround music discs of all time (digital age, that is), and you can see that thread here.

However, how about a QQ list? If you feel so inclined, create a list of your 10 favorite surround music discs, ANY FORMAT, and list them in a reply to this thread.

In the past when I've tried threads like this, they usually peter out due to lack of participation, but how about it? If you love surround music, list your favorites - first time posters join in. You won't get belittled by your choices. Pop/Rock/Classical, just make them great SURROUND music!

PS - You don't even have to do 10 if you can only come up with a few. HINT: Use the HiRez Poll to jog your memory!

To start it all off, here is my list:

1-PINK FLOYD: DARK SIDE OF THE MOON (UK Q8)
2-PORCUPINE TREE: LIGHTBULB SUN (DVD-A)
3-JAMES TAYLOR: GORILLA (Q4)
4-DIRE STRAITS: BROTHERS IN ARMS (SACD/DVD-A)
5-BEATLES: LOVE (DVD-A)
6-CHICAGO: CHICAGO VII (Q8)
7-DONALD FAGEN: THE NIGHTFLY (DVD-A)
8-BILLY JOEL: TURNSTILES
9-JACKSON BROWNE: LATE FOR THE SKY (CD-4)
10-DAVID CROSBY: IF I COULD ONLY REMEMBER MY NAME (DVD-A)

I'm sure I'm forgetting others that should be up there, but these are the ones that popped into my head at this moment.

1-pink floyd: Dark side of the moon (uk q8)
2-beatles: Love (dvd-a)
3-carpenters: Now and then (q4, q8, cd4)
4-pink floyd: Wish you were here (q8)
5-america: Homecoming (dvd-a)
6-rick wakeman: King arthur (q8, cd4)
7-rem: The best (dvd-a)
8-eagles: On the border (q8, cd4)
9-elton john: Goodbye yellow brick road (dvd-a)
10-pink floyd: Atom heart mother (uk q8)

Bob Dylan Blood on the Tracks SACD Hybrid
Deep Purple Machine Head SACD Hybrid
Diana Krall The Girl in the Other Room DVD-A DualDisc
Elton John Honky Chateau SACD Hybrid
Beatles, The Love DVD-A/CD
Talking Heads Remain in Light DVD-A DualDisc
R.E.M. In Time: The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003 DVD-A
Queen A Night at the Opera DVD-A
Carole King Tapestry SACD
Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon SACD Hybrid

I copied 10 titles from my list I like trying to pick my favorites but I am surprised with what I ended up with.

Chris

It's hard to do a top list but here's what I'm listening most

1. Gorilla - James Taylor (CD-4)
2. Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet (DVD-A)
3. Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
4. The Guess Who - Greatest Hits II (Q8)
5. The Guess Who - Greatest Hits I (Q8)
6. Jethro Tull - War Child (Q8)
7. Carly Simon - No Secrets (Q8)
8. Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (DVD-A, SQ)
9. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Q8, SQ)
10.Doobie Brothers - What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits (CD-4)+AWB (CD-4)

my favorite list goes over only 10 but that's it ;)

In some order of like things move upo and down but these are pretty much the discs i never grow tired of listening to:

Beatles - Love
Richard Thompson - Rumor and Sigh
Bass Communion - Loss
John McEwan & Jimmiy Ibbotson - Nitty Gritty Sound
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (DVDA not SACD)
Talking Heads - Naked
Frank Zappa - Quadaudiophiliac
Pere Ubu - Modern Dance
Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
Eagles - Hotel California

Honorary mention to David Crosby if i could... , and i am likeing Graham Nashs Songs for Beginners

What fun!

1. Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson
2. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (AP mix)
3. Talking Heads - Remain In Light
4. Temptations - All Directions
5. The Who - Tommy
6. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
7. Metallica - Metallica
8. Deep Purple - Machine Head
9. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
10. David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name

In the past when I've tried threads like this, they usually peter out due to lack of participation, but how about it? If you love surround music, list your favorites - first time posters join in. You won't get belittled by your choices. Pop/Rock/Classical, just make them great SURROUND music!

Hate making lists as its so hard to narrow down as lists change from month to month but since you said threads usually peter out, heh thats me, I guess I better respond.

1. Queen-A Night at The Opera(DVDA & 30th Ann Dts)
2. Genesis - 1976-1982(Sacd,Dts)-maybe I cheated here listing a box but I love TOTT and WAW
3. Pink Floyd-Dark Side of The Moon(Sacd,DVDA)
4. Roxy Music-Avalon(Sacd)
5. Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun(DvdA)
6. Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet (DVDA)
7. Porcupine Tree-Stupid Dream (DVDA)
8. Talking Heads-Fear of Music(DVDA)
9. REM-Automatic For The People(DVDA)
10. Depeche Mode-Violator(Sacd,Dts)

Before checking out this site I wouldn't have had Porcupine Tree in any list as I had never heard of them,so thanks QQ club.
Left out some great sounding disk's by Eagles,Donald Fagen,Deep Purple,Fleetwood Mac,etc(maybe next time).
In another month Genesis 1970-1975 would definitely join list.

Peter

In no particular order (except for #1) -

1 Talking Heads - Remain in Light
2 Yellow Note - We Love Everybody... You're Next
3 Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
4 Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (AP DVD-A)
5 Macy Gray - Trouble With Being Myself
6 Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues
7 Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
8 Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
9 Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow
10 Seal - first s/t

This is a tough, tough call. (incidentally @ Lucanu - DSOTM DVD-A ain't from SQ, it's from the Master Tapes)
No particular order here - it's hard enough getting it down to 10, never mind a sequential list:
01 - Porcupine Tree - FOABP (DVD-A)
02 - Seal - Acoustic album from "Best Of" (DVD-A) - only 16/44.1 resolution, but a superb set of mixes.
03 - Depeche Mode - Ultra (DTS-DVD, *not* the SACD)
04 - Diana Krall - Love Scenes (DVD-A)
05 - Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard (SACD)
06 - David Bowie - Reality (SACD)
07 - David Bowie - Young Americans (DTS-DVD)
08 - Pink Floyd - DSOTM (DVD-A AP "Master Tape" mix)
09 - Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream (DVD-A)
10 - Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (DVD-A)

That was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I also suspect that if you asked me again in a month, it would have changes in it.

Luca, I think I'd pretty much ditto your list. Though I'd squeeze in One Man Dog with Gorilla. ;-)

Many joyous moments across many fine releases, but I always come back to this core set:

Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream (DVD-A)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (DVD-A)
The Beatles - Love (DVD-A)
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (AP ala DVD-A)
The Doors - Best Of (quad DTS)
Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out At Night Q8 (DTS)
Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow (SACD)
Deep Purple - Machine Head (SACD sometimes DVD-A)
Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed (SACD)
Toy Matinee - s/t (DVD-A)

Ouch, that made my head hurt; 100 titles would be alot easier...

Awful tough to narrow it down to just 10, but here's my list (in alphabetical order):

Beatles - Love
Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow
Donald Fagen - Nightfly
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Grateful Dead - American Beauty
O'Jays - Ship Ahoy
REM - Automatic for the People
Roxy Music - Avalon
Seal - Best: 1991 - 2004
Talking Heads - Remain In Light

Interesting. Not a single classical disc among the lot. Although if you want to purchase new multichannel releases there are almost no releases coming out except for classical. Check SACD-net if you want to challenge this.

.....Before checking out this site I wouldn't have had Porcupine Tree in any list as I had never heard of them,......

I AGREE. There is no way I, being an "Beatles Era" kid in the USA, would have ever heard of or paid attention to Porcupine Tree. Especially today in these days of virutally no new music being heard on the radio (or listening to radio at all) or anywhere else.

I'm glad they did DVD-A's because there are great tunes on them and rank up there among the best.

Interesting. Not a single classical disc among the lot. Although if you want to purchase new multichannel releases there are almost no releases coming out except for classical. Check SACD-net if you want to challenge this.

You're right, of course...but as most listeners consider classical (and to a lesser degree, jazz or country) titles ancillary aspects of their collections, it's understandable pop/rock dominates most lists (as it would mine, if I could concoct one I could live with).

It should also be pointed out that the S&V list is confined to recent SACD/DVD-A/DVD-D type releases, not conversions of '70s quad titles. The latter are the discs I enjoy most, probably because I bought so much of the quad vinyl and Q8's back in the day.

Even so, some of those 21st century titles were taken from quad, many from Sony, among others...so I'd disqualify those out of hand, since, in essence, they're no different than the fine DSOTM DVD-A floating around out there...:sun

In the spirit of S&V, allow me to list a few faves from the recent past;

1. DSOTM (SACD). A no-brainer, really, a different but just about as enjoyable a mix as the original quad was. Don't adore the album the way others seem to, but very impressive for what it is.

2. LOVE. This one's more about the potential of what could be done to the latter day Beatles catalog in 5.1 if anyone every got serious about it. Perhaps the ultimate modern multichannel ear teaser...:phones

3. BJORK, Vespertine (DVD-A). Atmospheric concoction made all the more evocative and mysterious in this format. Too bad Enya, among others, didn't take the bait.....

4. Peter Gabriel, PLAY The Videos. Like LOVE, there are aspects to quibble over, but for presentation, scores big, and if some of the mixes or cuts are a bit too radical, some of it is also brilliant, a showcase for the potential of video comps that has not been realized.

5. Diana Krall, Love Scenes (DTS). The trick was to put the lady all around you and yet make is sound natural. This was done, like being in a room with her (well, almost...:D, and you know you'd wanna do more than just listen).

That'll have to do for now...the other five, maybe later...:smokin

ED :)

My top 12 Surround discs based on the disc as a whole and in no specific order.

Geez I tried for 10, but I couldn't do it. :)

'Honky Chateau' - Elton John
'Trapeze' - Tom Cochrane & Red Rider
'Welcome To My Nightmare' - Alice Cooper
'Rumours' - Fleetwood Mac
'What's New' - Linda Ronstadt
'Gaucho' - Steely Dan
'Young Americans' - David Bowie
'Singles 1969 - 1981' - Carpenters
'Tapestry' - Carole King
'Just Like You' - Keb' Mo'
'Tommy' - The Who
'Hourglass' - James Taylor

Thanks to those joining in. Sometimes I wonder if there's really anyone around these parts! :D

Besides, it's a great way to remind ourselves of what's out there and things we may have missed or forgotten about.

Pocrupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
Pink Floyd - DSOTM (DVD-A)
Neil Young - Harvest
Beatles - Love
Steely Dan - Gaucho
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
The Who - Tommy
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Metallica - Metallica

Back