How Do I make a DVD-A?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A cool feature of DVDAExplorer is that you can even exctract the MLP files undecoded (resulting in .mlp files in the target folder) which could then be used for subsequent authoring as is.

I'm with Bill on this. The "store" save feature of DVDAExplorer saves the MLP file without decoding it. I never used that feature before. Learn something new every day. Thanks Bill.

Again, it's just me, but two discs I wrote with DVD Audio Solo only had one channel on them.

What did I do wrong ?

Would you lads mind posting a step-by-step how-to using DVDAExplorer and DVD Audio Solo to write a multichannel collection disc ?

Last edited:
I owe a grovelling apology for duff information.
I meant DVDAExplorer, not DVDAExtractor.
DVDAExtractor would, of course, be DVD Audio Extractor, which takes audio out of DVD-Video discs.
DVDAExplorer is the wonderful tool that allows us to back up our precious discs.

Thanks George, for putting me straight - and apologies again for bad info:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Hi George,

I tried that twice and what resulted (trying only one song) was six individual tracks that played one at a time...

I know it's just me. Am I missing something while authoring in DVD Audio Solo ?

You'd probably do well to proceed as described in post #58 then.

Hi George,

I tried that twice and what resulted (trying only one song) was six individual tracks that played one at a time...

I know it's just me. Am I missing something while authoring in DVD Audio Solo ?

I believe what you did was save with the box checked for "split groups." This will save the MLP file as separate .wav files for each channel.

For your case you need to save with the box checked for "merge groups." This will save the MLP file as a single multichannel .wav file.

I looked into DVD Audio Solo and noticed there are two restrictions you'll encounter that aren't present with other software that I use. One, which you've already discovered is the lack of MLP support. The other is lack of support for 96kHz sample rate. If the files you intend to use are 96kHz sample rate, you'll need to resample to 48kHz with something like FooBar2000 (freeware).

I looked into DVD Audio Solo and noticed there are two restrictions you'll encounter that aren't present with other software that I use. One, which you've already discovered is the lack of MLP support. The other is lack of support for 96kHz sample rate. If the files you intend to use are 96kHz sample rate, you'll need to resample to 48kHz with something like FooBar2000 (freeware).

That explains it. Cheers.

If the files you intend to use are 96kHz sample rate, you'll need to resample to 48kHz with something like FooBar2000 (freeware).

It looks like it will support 96kHz in stereo.

I made a stereo only disc from some of my DVD-A's Stereo track and the Audio folder is the same size...

I could be wrong though.

I'll start saving my nickels and dimes for Discwelder. :)

I'll start saving my nickels and dimes for Discwelder. :)
Well, afaik Minnetonka discontinued their DW Chrome II, which would fully support MLP files. I think you (and me too!) should be considering buying a BD player. Blu-ray supports LPCM audio up to 5.1 24/192 and 7.1 24/96. BD-audio discs containing mch LPCM tracks can be authored with free softwares (eg. MultiAVCHD) and can be burnt onto DVD media (as BD5 and BD9) as well. And BD writers and media are getting cheaper, too. Or it may be time to enter the HTPC world :)

.... LPCM tracks can be authored with free softwares (eg. MultiAVCHD) and can be burnt onto DVD media (as BD5 and BD9) as well.

It indicates support of MLP files as well on the homepage. I hope.

Edit; It converts MLP to AC3, albeit up to 1500 kbps I think. I still haven't writen a usable disc yet... How do I write the disc ? Nero ? imgburn ?

Last edited:
Just a couple of things.....
Firstly, please do not use FooBar for sample rate conversion - it's ugly in there!
You'll find a far better - and free - SRC at www.voxengo.com called R8Brain Free (Geddit? Rate Brain? Sheesh) and if you can spring the bucks, the Pro version is better still.
Check out this site - and prepare for some horrors...
http://src.infinitewave.ca/

Also, DiscWelder Chrome is no longer for sale - Minnetonka Audio have discontinued it.
I do have a copy I would sell, assuming Minnetonka Audio will transfer the license.
Might be worth asking them?

Back