How Do I make a DVD-A?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you're saying is you have a BluRay Disc player BDP-80. I've heard if you update the software in that, you'll no longer be able to play watermarked DVDA.

I haven't updated the software yet. So far I have no playback issues. If it ain't broke...

Thanks for the head's up.

Are you sure?

I'm sure I heard it but not sure if its true. Was just told about it in a private email by a user who experienced it. I believe it was posted in this forum somewhere too. Might have been about the BDP-83. Not sure if the 80 and the 83 use the same software but they might.

Safe to update...

I just tested my 83 with the latest firmware and it played a copy of a watermarked disc with no problem. I really think there would be some chatter about it in the AVSforums in the Oppo subforums if the latest firmware had made such a drastic change.

Thanks for looking that up. Yeah, that post over in that thread has incorrect information. I'll go ahead and post a reply over there so that no one will worry unnecessarily about updating their firmware (which is sometimes required by all players for newer releases).

I just noticed that one of the tracks on my mix disc created with DVD-Audio Solo messed up the synch between the two groups (Lf, Rf) and (C, LFE, Rr, Lr) causing an echo effect, but only on one track...

Last edited:
Are you totally sure the sync is right on the source material?
I ask as I have made similar errors myself......
A possible fix might be to use a different group arrangement.
I would put L,R,C in one and LFE, Ls,Rs in the other. Spreads the load a little better.
Even better still, L,R,Ls,Rs / C, LFE

Are you totally sure the sync is right on the source material?
I ask as I have made similar errors myself......
A possible fix might be to use a different group arrangement.
I would put L,R,C in one and LFE, Ls,Rs in the other. Spreads the load a little better.
Even better still, L,R,Ls,Rs / C, LFE

It was only on 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'... it was a definite delay not on the source disc.

It's no biggie now, I've used my trial time on DVD-Audio Solo and moved on to DiscWelder... I just thought I'd mention it in case someone else had the same issue... like you.

The version of DiscWelder Chrome II I am working with will not let me write a disc over 4GB...

Is that normal ?

Yes, it is normal for the older version. A newer version (2.0.25) supports dual layer discs.

That's not quite right, George - sorry.
I still have the written manual for 2.0.01+ and it states the following:
"The Status bar in the lower right-hand corner of the main screen shows the total current size of the album in gigabytes (GB) and per4cent of total media capacity.
The text turns RED if the current album size exceeds the selected disc capacity. To set the disc capacity, Right-Click on the status bar and toggle the
3.95GB (DVD-4)*, 4.70Gb (DVD-5) or 8.54GB (DVD-9 for dual-DLT output only)**

* - this is an obsolete capacity, used when all we had to write with were Piopneer S201 SCSI burners outputting to "authoring media".
** - because when that version was built, the GEAR engine did not have Dual Layer options simply because Dual Layer discs did not exist at the time.
Therefore it was DLT tapes or nothing. Sonic DAC has an option to reduce the amount of music data on DL discs to check navigation without burning DL media.

The final released version of Chrome was 2.0.30 (at least, that is what I have. Wish I could sell it on......)

+ - Actually, I just checked and it was build 2.0.9 which was the first version released (I got it as soon as it was available from version 1.x).
The well-known build that seems to get used a lot is a build that was never released publicly (2.0.6).

To set the disc capacity, Right-Click on the status bar and toggle the
3.95GB (DVD-4)*, 4.70Gb (DVD-5) or 8.54GB (DVD-9 for dual-DLT output only)**

Thanks Neil, I'll try that when I get home... I guess my DW was set to 3.95GB.

I had no idea how to change that... until now. Thanks a million.

Should I stick with single layer writes but set the capacity higher to 8.4GB ?

Last edited:
That's not quite right, George - sorry.

No need to be sorry. I thought I had done dual layer discs with my old version in the past, but recently could not make it do so. Got the newer version for that reason alone. Now you remind me how to do it. Right click the status bar. Like filper says "thanks a million." Gotta love this forum.

DW Chrome II 2.0.6 doesn't like writing over 4GB.

I'll just have to select tracks more carefully for each compilation... not that having a true MLP surround disc playable for close to an hour is a bad thing. :)

Cheers gang.

DW Chrome II 2.0.6 doesn't like writing over 4GB.

What happens if you set the disc size to 4.7Gb?
That ought to work - forget DL with that build - although this may be one of the bugs that prevented it's release.
I am sure the initial public version was 2.0.9 - the 4Gb limit smacks of authoring grade media only.

What happens if you set the disc size to 4.7Gb?

That is the default setting which wouldn't let me go over 4GB... or there may be a time restriction limit which will not allow a compilation over 1 hour. Even changing the setting to 8.25GB or whatever the higher setting is, did not allow a higher time limit.

I'm good with 1 hour of surround music per disc.

Back