HiRez Poll Emerson Lake & Palmer - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please rate the SACD of Emerson, Lake and Palmer - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters
I woulda been happy with just their debut, really...a little ELP goes a long way for me, although there are scattered gems like "From The Beginning" and "C'est La Vie," amongst others that would be great in MC.

As for BSS, if you want to impress your prog friends, the DVD-A is probably the finest MC demo you could wish for. The mix is very playful at times, which is how it should be for this kind of pretentious music...:D Pity it's OOP, but that was inevitable.

ED :)

C'est La Vie is an excellent track.... another one I'd love to hear Greg Lake do in MC (and I hope we'll get to hear it in my lifetime) is Epitaph.
A nice MC disc of the Best Of Greg Lake would be a freakin' blast! :phones

-B

My guilty ELP pleasure that I'd love to hear in surround is Pirates. It's maybe a bit corny now, butit would make a great surround demo track. Especially at 13 minutes long!

Some of these tracks aged better than others, but the surround mix is a blast. Got my SACD from Amazon when first released...to my ears, the SACD sounds a little brighter than the DVD-A on my gear, but still very full, rich sound, remarkable for its age!

remember the e-bay sale not long ago, where a dvd audio copy of BSS went for $300.00? It was oop, before the sacd release. and the dvd audio is still hard to get, I got mine ( when the format was "new" ) for $20.00 @ CC. what an audio treat. I still use mine for showing off my stuff

I finally decided to get this even though I own the DVD-A only because it was relatively cheap at $20+shipping Amazon/Import CD. For what it's worth the redbook layer on the SACD is slightly lower in volume than the one on the single redbook disc!

I'd forgotten about this one.

Is it still readily available?

I should get the Black Sabbath one too, while I'm thinking about it.

Should be very easily had. Just go to Amazon.ca and you'll find it from resellers for under $30cdn (ImportCD's is a *very* good reseller - almost always the cheapest and they ship very quickly)

hint: Check the thread about the Paranoid disc before you order :)

I agree...
The Sabbath disc, unfortunately... sux!
Bob Romano did a better job than the record label did.
The SACD sounds like a bad needle drop. :(

I'll say again...
The ELP SACD sounds like the same mix as the DVD-A except no Lucky Man and no vids.
I still prefer my DVD-A! :D

-Bob

The Sabbath disc, unfortunately... sux!
Bob Romano did a better job than the record label did.
:(

Oh yeah, total agreement. I did buy the disc mainly to show support for a record company that is willing to re-release Quad material in a surround format. However it was a lame attempt at best. DTS, not SACD, and the source? Still a mystery. The video is nice with slow panning photos but who cares when the sound is terrible. If that is the best that they can do, then we can do without it!

Bob's conversion is very good!

Dennis

I just had the great good fortune to be given a copy of this (the original DVD-A edition) recently.
The opening strains of "Jerusalem" bring to mind the recent recovery of The Ashes from Australia in the 2-1 victory this summer.

Will write properly later

An "8" for the mix and the music, both of which I love.

I'd have given it a 9 or 10 but for the APPALLING quality control on the packaging.
Typos I just can't forgive abound!
As others have said, there's not one reference on the packaging to this being an SACD!
I've still never found out what an STS disc is to this day! (Station to Station, it ain't!).

Plus where's the bonus of Lucky Man?? Boo!!

At least it was a cheap way for people to get the wonderful 5.1 mix of this under-appreciated classic album.

Lucky Man will come again, with the first wave of re-issues on DVD only though again Boo !!!

it will be interesting to compare the DVD and DVDA versions of Lucky Man see what a difference young Steven can do compared to an ES mix.

A niner cause it features the same mix as the DVD-A .
-1 cause it's in "Cat repellent noise only above 20K" SACD format (Poor kitties!).
The "extra disc" is a joke....and I love the "STS" (Space Shuttle Mission?) misspelling...
Waiting for this to get pricey so I can sell it...
I'll keep my DVD-A!!!

Lucky Man will come again, with the first wave of re-issues on DVD only though again Boo !!!

it will be interesting to compare the DVD and DVDA versions of Lucky Man see what a difference young Steven can do compared to an ES mix.

IIRC - The it was mixed by John Kellogg not Elliott...

Well , I like the Foreigner mixes..The DP one was a tricky one cause he had to come up with a new twist since the SQ one is THE ONE for me...but, well done!

don't you prefer the sound quality and spread of sound on the Machine Head DVDA though?

the mix on the SACD is more fun and "out there" than the DVDA but I prefer the more modern approach John Kellogg used on the DVDA, plus the fidelity on the newer remix beats the hell out of any other version of Machine Head I've heard, including the SACD, it sounds wonderful..!

Back