Quad LP/Tape Poll Jefferson Starship: Dragonfly [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Dragonfly"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: So-so

• 1: Crap Sound, Crap Mix, Crap Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
RCA BFD1-0717, from 1974.

Side 1:

1. Ride The Tiger
2. That's For Sure
3. Be Young You
4. Caroline

Side 2:

1. Devil's Den
2. Come To LIfe
3. All Fly Away
4. Hyperdrive

ED :)

I give this a 7 based on what I consider to be a lackluster quad remix. Same for Red Octopus, which I recently acquired, finally, in CD-4 quad. The remix features mostly an ambient soundfield, with few discrete effects such as panning and location of voices/instruments, and does not really "open" up the stereo mix to add any additional insights to the recording. That said, this and Red Octopus were good efforts by the members of the former JA, and "Ride the Tiger" is a kickass rocker, with lyrics that make me cringe just a wee bit today in 2009, but make me chuckle nonetheless.

There are some bands where, for some reason I only like one of their albums, like the Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn and the Foo Fighters One by One - and this is another one of those cases. I think it probably has more to do with bands detouring toward my own sensibilities, rather than creating something that can only be appreciated by someone with my discerning taste, but for whatever reason this album does it for me.

I think if you're used to the CBS style four-corner SQ mixes this one might seem a little lackluster, but for me there's enough discrete placement in the rears that it never seems boring.

Jefferson Starship - Dragon Fly.jpeg

Back