Sears Exclusive BD Concerts? Tom Petty, Foreigner, Stevie Nicks???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kazaam

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I'm not entirely sure if they really are exclusive to Sears, but after researching a bit I came to the conclusion that there are a few titles that I've not ever seen anywhere else. I've seen Sound Stage BDs before, but never these particular titles.

What interests me the most is that apparently Sears stocks the "Tom Petty" blu-ray that was at one time listed as a preorder at Amazon, but then they cancelled it and listed it as a discontinued item. But there it sits at Sears. At least according to their website. So I post this, I suppose, to find out if anyone knows whether or not these titles really are Sears exclusives or not; and also as a bit of a heads up for those who, like me, may not have known that these other titles even exist.

Here's the thread I participated in that first alerted me to this: Sound & Vision

And a quick check at Sears.com reveals the following possibly exlusive titles for sale: Foreigner, Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks, and a Best of Sound Stage Blu-Ray. All apparently in stock. Heck, the Tom Petty one apparently even available at one of the stores about an hour from where I live.

Edit: Plus a Michael McDonald one, too!

Despite the associate at Sears telling me over the phone that Tom Petty wasn't in stock at my store, it was! Imagine someone at Sears not knowing what was in stock in their own department.

I got Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks, Foreigner (doesn't look like Lou Gramm singing lead), Michael McDonald, and a "Best of" Soundstage disc. The Best of is free when you buy a specific HDTV (Samsung?). They were all $25 each.

Also, add Seal to the list of Sears exclusive blu-rays. I wish they had advertised this a little better.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, PossumPete! You mentioned Seal... is that a Sound Stage performance, too? Oh, and have you had a chance to listen to any of the ones you bought?

I stopped by my local SEARS store today. I hadn't been there in years. In their TV and HT section, there was a large end of aisle display with all of these Soundstage Blu-Ray discs. Plenty of each title. I bought a few. I tried, but they did not offer me the sampler for free.. :(

I popped the Michael McDonald in when I got home to check it out. I had the exact same program on my DVR as it was shown on the now defunt RAVE channel from the ZOOM networks (as were most of the other titles). The PQ looked the same, as did the sound. According to the menu on the disc, the audio choices are Dolby Digital 5.1, Uncompressed 5.1, and Uncompressed 2.0. My Denon receiver displays "Multichannel In" when playing the 48kHz uncompressed audio, so it's barely "HiRez". When I get a chance I'll check out the others, but I'd bet they're the same.

Another thing I noticed is that these discs, although they're Blu-Ray, do not have any blu-ray features like pop-up menu selections. Nothing loads into RAM on the player, so these act like an HD version of a DVD.

There are at least 6 Sears exclusive Soundstage Blu-ray releases so far according to this ad.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/dap_10153_12605_DAP_Samsung+Soundstage+Splash?adCell=A2

I have been recording Soundstage performances to D-VHS until recently when Comcast downloaded software to my DVR that broke the firewire connection. I don't think I can get Comcast to fix it but I have quite a number of them recorded already and the ones I have seen, I like a lot. I expect these Blu-ray discs are little different than my recordings so I have no plans to buy them.

Jon, apparently these are not BD-J enhanced so they will load quicker but don't have any of the advanced Java features. It also means you can hit stop and resume from the same position when restarting. I believe this means those discs use the HDMV navigation structure. Sears has been promoting Blu-ray products quite a lot but you might notice the ad calls these Blu-ray DVD's so their terminology is consistent with popular but incorrect descriptions of their products. I have purchased a few discs and a couple of players from my local Sears, although the players were closeout priced.

Chris

For those interested in Sheryl Crow or Jewel, these are available as Blu-Ray Soundstage discs at the PBS shop.

I bought the Tom Petty and the Stevie Nicks sets and was impressed with both.

Excellent surround mixes and picture quality.

Tom's disc has 30 songs in all, and Stevie's about 17 clocking in at 1hr. 45 min.

Bob

Sears is closing these things out at $4.97 now. My store had 5 different titles, I picked up 4. Tom Petty is the only one I have loaded, it is a little harsh sounding at times but overall pretty good. DTS-HD MA 5.1. I also bought Seal, Stevie Nicks and Michael McDonald but passed on Foreigner which I will pick up if I ever get back there before they are all gone.

Chris

Sears is closing these things out at $4.97 now. My store had 5 different titles, I picked up 4. Tom Petty is the only one I have loaded, it is a little harsh sounding at times but overall pretty good. DTS-HD MA 5.1. I also bought Seal, Stevie Nicks and Michael McDonald but passed on Foreigner which I will pick up if I ever get back there before they are all gone.
Chris

Our local Sears has some pretty bare shelves when it comes to Blu-Ray discs. I get the impression they are leaving the sale of the BD discs altogether. No Soundstage Blu-Rays there.

But I do see that Sears.Com still has some of these available - including the Best of Soundstage and Michael McDonald for under $10 each. I'm certainly looking at picking them up at that price!

Our local Sears has some pretty bare shelves when it comes to Blu-Ray discs. I get the impression they are leaving the sale of the BD discs altogether. No Soundstage Blu-Rays there.

But I do see that Sears.Com still has some of these available - including the Best of Soundstage and Michael McDonald for under $10 each. I'm certainly looking at picking them up at that price!

Some Sears stores have dropped the price even further to unload them, maybe Sears online will do the same eventually although supplies have to be getting low at this point. I have played 5 of the 6 I own and all are lossless 5.1 and all are good in my opinion. Most use lossless uncompressed LPCM. My store still had Petty, Nicks, Seal, Foreigner and McDonald when I last checked. I have sent you a PM, maybe I can help you out since my Sears is next to my golf course and I should get close in a couple of days.

Chris

I find all these soundstage blu-rays to be exceptional

start with "The Best of" Soundstage to get a feel for the different performances.

Picture Quality is exceptional. Sound is DD 5.1 and very good to exceptional

you can pick these up cheap used on amazon, etc

I find all these soundstage blu-rays to be exceptional

start with "The Best of" Soundstage to get a feel for the different performances.

Picture Quality is exceptional. Sound is DD 5.1 and very good to exceptional

you can pick these up cheap used on amazon, etc

I used to record them off PBS. Even made a few HD DVDs. Buckethead was my favorite. I have a few of the blurays I got cheap from Sears.

I just found another one of these. Didn't even know it existed:

AmericaLive In Chicago

DTS-HD MA 5.1

you guys are really missing out on all these great Soundstage discs. Picture quality is reference material and 5.1 is very smooth in DTS-HD MA

91tqJdFgJPL._SL1500_.jpg

I always thought the lyrics to America's Sandman were "and did you hear a Mayan Listening" instead of "and did you hear of My Enlistment"

both so deep yet so unrelated, yet related in the sense of profundity

deepness is connected no matter the topic

but seriously, let's have a POLL for all these awesome soundstage discs. They are so much better than most live discs.

Last edited:
Back