HiRez Poll Wilson, Steven - Insurgentes [DVD-Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Steven Wilson - INSURGENTES

• Total voters
Hmm, been a while since I listened to Insurgentes - been immersing myself in other MultiChannel stuff I've been picking up in a bout of paranoia that things are going to go OOP.

Every time I listen to this DVD-A, I hear the music in some new way, almost like it is the first time I've heard it. That is a rare, stunning thing, and I really appreciate that it means this disk will be hard to top - but I thought that about IA, and then DW came out, and then FoaBP, etc.

The two disk DVD-A+CD edition was in my Amazon Gold Box for something like $13 a day or two ago - I can't believe how affordable this album is ($14 regularly) - I was tempted to order copies just to give away to potential converts.

shinksma

Any Canadians that haven't bought this yet.....CDPlus has it for $9.99. Thankfully I didn't pay much more than that. I hope the next PT is that inexpensive!

ART.
The first time I heard Harmony Korine I fell in love.
Every time I hear INSURGENTES is like and epic feeling evolving you.
Perfect surround mix, almost pefect record.

My highlights:
-Harmony Korine
-Abandonder
-Significant Other

First solo (oficial) album and the man gets a stunning piece of pure art.
And of course it is a pleasure Steven named the album with the avenue of my country and recorded part of the music here. (y)

Sadly I don't have the book, I'm a huge fan of Lasse and his photography projects.

Hello, So I've pondered this for awhile and may not have the correct wording down, but I'll give it a go. I have the DVD-A of INSURGENTES and the Limited 5.1 of THE INCIDENT......If Porcupine Tree recorded INSURGENTES, and the INSURGENTES guest artists recorded THE INCIDENT, would either of them be better? This could be a bunch of BLAH on my account, sorry. I feel all the artists on both sides could easily tackle the presented material. Thought I'd toss it out to the QQ'ers. Thanks.

I gave it an 8 overall. Mix is a solid 9+, outstanding as with all the PT stuff I have in 5.1. However, each and every one of those six albums is more appealing to me. Still very good, but has made me a bit reluctant to get any of his other non PT projects like No Man or Bass Communion.

Still very good, but has made me a bit reluctant to get any of his other non PT projects like No Man or Bass Communion.

Dont be put off getting the No-Man discs, they are more 'commercial' sounding and Tim Bowness Vocals are different from Steven Wilsons. Bass Communion can be more of an aquired taste.

This is moody, dark and deeper than any PT I've heard...and I'm really liking it....as opposed to PT , which leaves me cold...there is some ..."emotional content" (albeit dark...well he IS a a Scorpio, so it comes with the territory)...gonna have to spin it a few more times to cast a vote...
This is the closest to King Crimson that I've heard his stuff come to...so.. coool!!!

And of course, a SUPERB MCH mix...and kudos to Neil for the mastering...btw, as Felix mentioned , this is louder than other PT discs..was it your decision to master it louder or was it SW's???

...and kudos to Neil for the mastering...btw, as Felix mentioned , this is louder than other PT discs..was it your decision to master it louder or was it SW's???

It was a while ago now, and I really do not remember what I did with it off the top of my head.
I could de-archive the session & look, I guess, but I certainly do not remember heavy compression or limiting.
With Steven's mixes this is unnecessary - they generally turn up pretty much ready to run with just the odd tweak required such as LFE bandwidth limiting,
or maybe even the odd level balancing between sections, but he is such a perfectionist the usual thing is simply tweak the LFE & check carefully.
Very little is required - the odd EQ, maybe, but certainly no heavy compression or limiting.

Wasn't that impressed with the music upon first listen (in stereo).

But now that that I've played it in 5.1 I have a new appreciation for the music and the beautiful surround mix.

Though a 9 doesn't seem high enough that's what I'm voting because I can't quite give it a 10.

Late to the parade on this but totally enjoying this. Have had it via itunes ( I know, shameful) for awhile and thought it was good. But now sitting here listening to it in it's full surround glory is almost like a religious experience. Totally loving it beginning to end. Not a dog on the album in my opinion. For me the vocal are crisp and clear and the music in just enveloping me in a blanket of sonic goodness. Subwoofer is working pretty good on this one too. The first part of Twilight Coda is freaking awesome just close your eyes and experience it!!

Haven't listened to this album in a while, but this along with the Porcupine Tree titles were some of the first 5.1 DVDAs I bought that started my obsession.

It's definitely dipped somewhat for me since the releases of "Grace for Drowning" and "The Raven That Refused to Sing", but the material on this album is still fantastic, and the surround mix is still very effective.

For those not familiar with this album, it might be tough at first to get over the heavy noise elements that are present on this album (particularly during "Get All You Deserve"), but underneath all of that, there is a lot of beautiful material to admire with fabulous musicians on board, including Gavin Harrison, Tony Levin, and Jordan Rudess.
Gavin's presence on the album definitely gives the record a "Porcupine Tree-like" sound at times, but there's no doubt about it. This is a unique musical statement from Steven Wilson, who continues to redefine who he is.

The standard retail CD/DVD-A is still readily available for a very good price, so this release comes highly recommended! :)

This is a great album... But it didn't start that way for me; the first time I put this on, I got through the first 4 songs and had to turn it off. It's dark, moody, and at times distorted and droning... But it's also beautiful, layered, technically brilliant and at times rocks pretty hard! With repeated listens (as with all great prog) the world of Insurgentes reveals itself. Highlights for me include "Harmony Korine", "Salvaging" (I especially enjoy the transition from slow rocking drone into a beautiful orchestral string arrangement), "No Twilight..." (basically a blistering extended guitar solo from SW), and "Significant Other" (this one has a really cool music box effect at the end mirroring the song's melody). The fidelity is clear and dynamic with no audible compression. The mix is, well, typical SW. That is to say, discrete, enveloping, powerful, perfect. Maybe we should have a QQ glossary with "SW Mix" in it and a list of descriptive adjectives after it, because let's face it, every SW mix is consistently great! The only minor criticism I have is SW's over-use of the loud, distorted drone at the end of several songs (Abandoner, Salvaging, No Twilight..., Significant Other, and Get All You Deserve)... I think the effect would have had more impact if used more sparingly. Overall, I highly recommend this one! 8.

Insurgentes was the first Steven Wilson solo album added to my collection, and god how I loved it! Not so different from is Porcupine Tree collaborations, it makes for the perfect transition album for hard core PT aficionados. Similar in many aspects, including composition style, choice of instruments, and the sound itself. The sonics are really good, the surround mix is immersive, and the songs demonstrate the diversity he is capable of.

Highlights for me are, well... the whole thing, really! I won't babble about this one, I just enjoy it. A lot.

Content: 9
Mix: 9.5

Overall: 9.25 (rounded up to 9 for the poll)

This album might not reflect the maturity he seems to have gained over the last two (soon to be three) albums as a musician, but don't you miss your rebellious teen years? :banana:

I just got a DTS Blu-ray Demo Disc #14 and it has "Salvaging" in DTS-HD MA 7.1

My question is, do the producers of the Demo Disc simply upmix the back 2 surround channels (from the 5.1 DVD-A mix to 7.1) or are the mixes found on these Demo discs done by Steven or someone else at DTS and are actually remixed into 7.1?

I was pleasantly surprised to find this mixed in with some CDs at a store yesterday. So far, I’m finding it to be a bit of a mixed bag: the surround treatment is great, and there’s definitely no shortage of cool moments (I particularly love the chorus in “Harmony Korine”), but I can’t stand how almost every track goes into distortion mode by the end.

Also - like HCE and some of the later PT albums - I'm finding it to be a little too dynamic. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of increased dynamic range (I love the huge dynamics on SW's mixes of ELP's debut and the Tull albums), but I'm struggling to find the right balance between too quiet and my head being blown off on this recording.

"Harmony Korine":
Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 3.20.24 PM.png

Last edited:
I was pleasantly surprised to find this mixed in with some CDs at a store yesterday. So far, I’m finding it to be a bit of a mixed bag: the surround treatment is great, and there’s definitely no shortage of cool moments (I particularly love the chorus in “Harmony Korine”), but I can’t stand how almost every track goes into distortion mode by the end.

Also - like HCE and some of the later PT albums - I'm finding it to be a little too dynamic. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of increased dynamic range (I love the huge dynamics on SW's mixes of ELP's debut and the Tull albums), but I'm struggling to find the right balance between too quiet and my head being blown off on this recording.

"Harmony Korine":
View attachment 41205
what wrong with your head being blown off every once in a while ?:ROFLMAO:

I can't export the dvd-a to flac files. It gives me an error. So far it is with the only album that has happened to me. Has anyone else had this issue?

More info please.
Source, Ripping Software, Error ?
Failed to open file /Volumes/My Passport for Mac/MUSICA OPPO/Steven Wilson - Insurgentes (2008)/Lossless 5.1 24bit/48kHz - Harmony Korine (5.1).flac to write.

Make sure there is no invalid character in the output file name and the folder is writable.

Make sure there is no invalid character in the output file name and the folder is writable.
The below are "invalid characters". They can't be used in any band names, album names, or song titles. Look them all over and make sure none are in there. If they are you will have to edit them out and then try again.. The question mark is a very common one in a song name such as "Why Don't You Love Me?" That's a no no.

< (less than)

> (greater than)

: (colon)

" (double quote)

/ (forward slash)

\ (backslash)

| (vertical bar or pipe)

? (question mark)
* (asterisk)

Back