DVD/DTS Poll Deep Purple - Stormbringer [DTS/DD DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Deep Purple - STORMBRINGER

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments on Deep Purple - Stormbringer (DTS/DD DVD)

Attachments

• DP-Stormbringerfront.jpg
    DP-Stormbringerfront.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,217
Although Bob's version was the standard , the dts 5.1 (i.e. rechannelled Quad mix) sounds great,
as opposed to that f*cked up done with their feet Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" release (Bob's version IS still the standard here).
Much clearer and very well remastered,
definitely worth it...
Although they are missing something that they promised, THE LYRICS!
A 10 for me!!

Love the mix not so keen on the music but hey any Deep Purple in surround has got to be encouraged.

Shame its not a true DVDA hence the loss of points, 8 for me.

My memory tells me that this was 96/24....by the time I can get home and confirm that for you someone else will probably prove me wrong!
I don't listen to it very often, but was well done mix if I recall correctly. John

a "9". fidelity could be better but the mix is fun!
So happy to have Coverdale-era (i.e. funky!) Deep Purple in surround.
The only way it could have been improved, possibly, were if it had been in higher res, although maybe the state of the quad tapes didn't warrant that. Oh and an alternative new 5.1 mix from the multitracks, along the lines of Machine Head, would have got an "11" from me!

The overall fidelity of the DTS track is really good, but I really could've done without the derived center channel - they did something to the EQ on it that makes it stand out rather than blend in with the front imaging and I find it really distracting.

I have had this on my list for ages. And I am going to order it from Amazon UK if: someone can confirm that the listing that says PAL is not going to throw my player into a hissy. I have PAL players but that are not high end, just cheap Chinese players for the old move I come across in PAL. They are not great DVD-A players.

Does this disc play in NTSC players? I wonder why this quad mix as reissued here in the 35th set gets do little mention? I know it's not their best album but...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stormbringe...r=1-1-spell&keywords=deep+purple+strombringer

Is there a US source for this that is not too expensive?

(edit) Sorry if this question was not posted in correct area. I did a search and thought I would post here rather than start another thread elsewhere. Then I had second thoughts. Oh well.

Last edited:
I have had this on my list for ages. And I am going to order it from Amazon UK if: someone can confirm that the listing that says PAL is not going to throw my player into a hissy. I have PAL players but that are not high end, just cheap Chinese players for the old move I come across in PAL. They are not great DVD-A players.

Does this disc play in NTSC players? I wonder why this quad mix as reissued here in the 35th set gets do little mention? I know it's not their best album but...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stormbringe...r=1-1-spell&keywords=deep+purple+strombringer

Is there a US source for this that is not too expensive?

(edit) Sorry if this question was not posted in correct area. I did a search and thought I would post here rather than start another thread elsewhere. Then I had second thoughts. Oh well.

I'll check it out tomorrow and report back :)

If you check the image of the back cover on that listing you can see "NTSC"... My version is definitely NTSC and has the same barcode.

I suspect that the Amazon details incorrectly state PAL...

Another quality listing from Amazon. :mad:@:

Damn, didn't know this even existed.
Just placed an order from Amazon UK a couple of days ago and could easily have included this.
Next time......

Not my favorite Deep Purple album, but the mix is nice and I've always loved Holy Man!

Nice quad mix... Doesn't stand out to me as particularly bad or good; just a typical, enjoyable quad mix (not overly discrete or adventurous). The music isn't your typical Deep Purple, but it's soulful, funky, and rocking. Fidelity is good, but slightly muffled on the high end. Overall, an 8... But highly recommended!

a "9". fidelity could be better but the mix is fun!
So happy to have Coverdale-era (i.e. funky!) Deep Purple in surround.
The only way it could have been improved, possibly, were if it had been in higher res, although maybe the state of the quad tapes didn't warrant that. Oh and an alternative new 5.1 mix from the multitracks, along the lines of Machine Head, would have got an "11" from me!

Warners in the US was providing the quad tapes to EMI for issue in the UK. and Warners got to decide what to hand over, and decided this resolution would be fine for them. They could have done a quad-block as it's been called.

Average music and mix. I really don't like the singing on most of the songs, but the music is rather good. An 8.

After years of being available only as an import, this CD/DVD set is finally going to be released domestically in the US on April 8:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CRLOUBY/

(Yes, it says 2CD right now at the top, but it definitely says "Quadraphonic Mix; 5.1 DTS 48/24" by all of the tracks on Disc 2, so it's definitely the same CD/DVD edition as before) :)

Back