DVD/DTS Poll Deep Purple - Stormbringer [DTS/DD DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Deep Purple - STORMBRINGER

• Total voters
Got a double post so.....

This series from EMI had ELO and Barclay James Harvest included in it.

I wonder if there is more to come st this late point in time?

Listening right now, the DVD sounds pretty good.
Certainly better than the Metal Blade CD.
But the stereo tracks, according to my CXU’s display, are 48/16, not the 48/24 prominently displayed on the packaging.
Mine has the original cover.
The picture in post #4 is different, did original pressings come with a slipcase?

Well I followed the instructions of QQ Member: steelydave and ditched the Centre & LFE.. and I love it even more..! In its original 4.0/Quad form I'd give this a 10. Superb.. wonder why they futzed with it for the DVD when it was perfect as it was already!? :rolleyes: Anyway, thank you Dave, you're a trooper :upthumb

I seem to have noticed lately a bit of discussion on dropping the center channel and LFE of 5.1 offerings to make quad versions for playback. Should this warrant its own thread? I find it really interesting. I haven't thought to do this but am intrigued. The thread could be about those titles "converted" and whether the sound improves or not. Just a thought.

I seem to have noticed lately a bit of discussion on dropping the center channel and LFE of 5.1 offerings to make quad versions for playback. Should this warrant its own thread? I find it really interesting. I haven't thought to do this but am intrigued. The thread could be about those titles "converted" and whether the sound improves or not. Just a thought.

There is one. I will try finding it for you when I get home later.

I always was fond of this Deep Purple. The DVD was a b..ch to rip, and I will try to generate a 4.0 mix later.
But a 8 for me.

Been there done that so save yourself some extra hassle and rip the dts stream AS A SINGLE FILE and then split the tracks by hand, the cue points in the dvd are messed up.
I think I did that and used VLC to transcode it to FLAC with a correct timing, and I still have it as a single FLAC+CUE.
The 4.0 mix is done, will listen to it later

Thanks for the idea (y)

Ta for heads up..just ordered a new one off Discogs.(y)
After watching Rangers beat Celtic 1 0 in the Scottish Glasgow derby..What a game!!

Thanks for mentioning this.
Going to a Celtic fan’s house for dinner tonight, now I know to avoid asking about the game

Hi there,

I am having trouble ripping the DTS tracks 1 and 9 from the DVD-V. It appears that there's something wrong with the encoding information. I tried ripping the DTS tracks with Audiomuxer and DVD Decrypter (IFO Mode). The DVD is brand new, "Made in the EU", file date is "30.01.2009".

Error on track 1 and 9 is:
DTS-96/24, 5.1 channels, 0:04:06, 1510kbps, 96kHz
Decoding with libDcaDec DTS Decoder...
Writing WAV...
Creating file "C:\Stormbringer\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_PGC_02_CHAPTER_01_1 - 0x89 - Audio - DTS - 6ch - 48kHz - DRC - English - DELAY 0ms.wav"...
libDcaDec output changed from 6 channels, 96kHz to 6 channels, 48kHz. <ERROR>
Aborted at file position 524288. <ERROR>

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Andreas

I ripped my copy using DVD Audio Extractor. Tracks 1 and 9 ripped with no error noted, BUT, I soon realised, were treated as 96k - so they played at twice the speed in half the time. I.e. they sounded like a Chipmunks/ Pinky and Perky version of Deep Purple! I opened them in Audacity and changed the rate for each channel to 48k (and the project rate) and they seem to be fine.

Tracks 2 - 8 ripped fine. Interestingly, all the tracks seem cued OK (the starts are not cut off in the way SteelyDave mentions), so maybe this is a different pressing with a different fault. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Something mixed up badly... basically, you decoded the 48KHz core stream instead of the full 96K dts hd but somewhere it kept the 96K info. DVD Audio Extractor is useful for dvd-audio discs, Stormbringer is a DVD-Video DTS disc, better to use a makemkv then process it with the last version of music media helper so you can correct quickly the channels disaster (see above... in short: dump C and LFE)

Something mixed up badly... basically, you decoded the 48KHz core stream instead of the full 96K dts hd but somewhere it kept the 96K info. DVD Audio Extractor is useful for dvd-audio discs, Stormbringer is a DVD-Video DTS disc, better to use a makemkv then process it with the last version of music media helper so you can correct quickly the channels disaster (see above... in short: dump C and LFE)

Yes, I realise it's a DTS DVD, but DVDAE should be OK for those too, shouldn't it? I've not had problems with other discs (48 and 96k). (This disc is only 48k, I think - that's what the liner notes say.) So I assumed there was some minor problem which tricked DVDAE into setting the FLACs for two tracks as 96k. (andi-999 has had problems with the same disc but different software which also implies it's the disc. But I perhaps should have tried ripping in makemkv once it failed in DVDAE.)

I have already deleted the C and LFE using Audacity. Tbh, it didn't take more than a few mins, but I should look into using that function on Music Media Helper - thanks for reminding me.

Last edited:
I ripped my copy using DVD Audio Extractor. Tracks 1 and 9 ripped with no error noted, BUT, I soon realised, were treated as 96k - so they played at twice the speed in half the time. I.e. they sounded like a Chipmunks/ Pinky and Perky version of Deep Purple! I opened them in Audacity and changed the rate for each track to 48k (and the project rate) and they seem to be fine.

Tracks 2 - 8 ripped fine. Interestingly, all the tracks seem cued OK (the starts are not cut off in the way SteelyDave mentions), so maybe this is a different pressing with a different fault. :rolleyes:

I had the exact same problem. Think I ended up having to use another program to get it to rip correctly.

K

Bought this being as Purple is my #1 band back when the 35th first came out, was never impressed with the mix, played it again yesterday & my thoughts haven't changed, not quite the worst mix I've heard but it is below par, certainly when compared to Machine Head Quad (I know this is Quad to 5.1) can't help thinking that the original Quad mix would have been just fine.

Did anyone ever find a fool-proof way to rip tracks 1 and 9 on this? I just had the same issue and a major wtf - glad I'm not alone in experiencing it but I have no idea how to fix it. I've got MKV, DVDAE, DBPowerAmp and Logic... is there a workflow using some combo of those that you might recommend to fix these two tracks? I messed around with it a big in Logic and it shows up as a 5.1 file... I had Logic convert it upon import but no matter what I do with it it keeps importing/exporting at double speed. :unsure:

Did anyone ever find a fool-proof way to rip tracks 1 and 9 on this? I just had the same issue and a major wtf - glad I'm not alone in experiencing it but I have no idea how to fix it. I've got MKV, DVDAE, DBPowerAmp and Logic... is there a workflow using some combo of those that you might recommend to fix these two tracks? I messed around with it a big in Logic and it shows up as a 5.1 file... I had Logic convert it upon import but no matter what I do with it it keeps importing/exporting at double speed. :unsure:

I opened them in Audacity (freeware) and changed the rate for each channel to 48k (and the project rate), resaved as Flac, and they work fine.

But if you use MMH to remove the channels, it would not suprise me if this got fixed 'automatically'. There does appear to be some sort of problem with the two tracks which is fixed once they are re-written correctly. (I didn't use MMH orignally as it was a while ago but that's what I would use these days to remove the two channels.)

In short: Use MMH to remove the offending centre and sub channels. If that doesn't also fix the 96/48 problem, use Audacity to change the track rate.

Back