Quad LP/Tape Poll Davis, Miles: Live-Evil [SQ]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Live-Evil"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Crap Sound, Crap Mix, Crap Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia GQ 30954.

Side 1:

1. Sivad
2. Little Church
3. Medley: Gemini/Double Image

Side 2:

1. What I Say
2. Nem Um Talvez

Side 3:

1. Selim
2. Funky Tonk

Side 4:

1. Inamorata and Narration by Conrad Roberts

ED :)

x2, I didn't know this was released as SQ. I never thought it was a big album for Miles Davis. I am getting ready to have my mind blown. Bitches Brew in surround does my head in! :alienrob:

Last edited by a moderator:
just won and ebay auction. got it for $40.00 shipped. pending quality, i consider this a good snatch.
the stereo album is fun, could the quad be big fun?
i hope there are some quad mix details on the sleeve.

Only this: Quadraphonic Sound Supervision and Remix Engineer: Ray Moore.

It's not BITCHES BREW by any means but, spit, it's Miles in his prime so you know it's damned good!

ED :)

9. Selim Sivad! One of his better efforts. Good mix. I've owned 6 copies of this. The SQ is the first one I owned and the one to have. The SACD is sadly only 2ch, though the fidelity is great.

SQ 2 LP set:
350526817962.jpg

If you like this, you may want to check out the 2 ch 6 CD Live at the Cellar Door complete box set from the same gig:
130521_pm_cellardoor.jpg

I have a mint Columbia U.S pressing of this and in conjunction with the surround master it's a little bit of magic to be transported right into the midst of such incredible musicians. It is a tad murkier sounding than the regular stereo LP and the stereo SACD, but more than makes up for this shortfall with a super discrete mix. No rear level adjustment was needed either, with the overall mix levels leaving excellent separation with lots of air filling the gaps nicely. I find it hard to go back to the stereo after this; there is a heightened focus to the quad mix that allows solos to really pop, whilst the accompaniment keep their places in space as you 'feel' them back off the intensity. I like to think as well that the quad mix, coming from live and studio cuts, does a really good job of creating a unified feel to the reconstructed listening room space. If you have the set up and dig this album you have no excuse but to bite the bullet and pay the ever-increasing price for a copy in really fine condition. If you're not a regular Miles obsessive and are curious about pushing your quad boundaries a little, I'd still say give it a go. Until AF or someone else finally get the quad mix to SACD, its likely to keep on creeping up on value regardless.

Gave it a 9, it is not as perfect as Bitches Brew. I have the 1972 Japanese SQ LP, SOPJ 88-89, a white promo label absolutely stunning condition and it sounds fantastic. BTW, I think that the narration at the end of I Inamorata on my pressing is spread between front left channel and rear right channel. On the stereo mix it is centered between the two front channels though. Interesting.

Last edited:
i gave it a 10
i just tend to prefer more stripped down less orchestral music

i noticed Gemini is longer on the Quad than the stereo (extra horn blast)
i also hear details on the quad that i can't didn't notice on the stereo

I have 2 quad pressings with different sleeves ,
the gold sleeve and the brown sleeve with quad stickers put over it
discogs seemed to think the brown version was more valuable so i decided to keep the brown sleeve version pristine and play the gold version since the sleeve was already splitting and had writing on it
and the brown version has that wierd sleeve pocket, i could see myself accidentally destroying that if i was in a hurry to put the records away

what i'd really like (but it doesn't exist) would be quad versions of At Filmore and Black Beauty as i prefer the live stripped down versions of the BB tunes to the studio versions

to digress i found the columbia legacy stereo cd of live evil to be disjointed, we know its a collage but it shouldn't sound like one right?
also they smothered the last section of immorata (the audience recording of an unknown show) in noise reduction

my go to stereo copy is the Music on Vinyl reissue, but the quad is much more enjoyable , even on a stereo deck

the MOV reissue issue sounds great for sides 1 &2 but 3 &4 get fatiguing in a way that the quad version doesn't

Back