Music DVD Poll Metallica - The Videos DVD [DD 5.1]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Anyone have this one? Is the 5.1 a real mix or fake?

Attachments

• metallica.jpg
    metallica.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 486
As far as I remember the mixes are not fake (can't guarantee that for all the songs, though), but it's Dolby Digital. And it shows, unfortunately. The bitterness of another wasted opportunity still ping-pongs in between my ears...:(

Totally agree : it's only Dolby and you can hear it, but the surround mixes of the Load/Reload era are very impressive, given that they follow the famous DVD-A mixes of the Black Album.

My opinion is : if you somehow like Load, or Reload, or both, and you can find the DVD for a good price, grab it, Mama or Until it Sleeps sound incredible. I wish the two albums were entirely redone that way, and in DTS.

I bagged this DVD and checked it out. I was primarily interested in hearing their version of Bob Segar's "Turn the Page", as I feel they do a great job covering this tune. (I heard it for the first time a week or so ago). Anyway, the DVD was cheap, about $10, so I snagged it at checked out the tune using DVD Audio Extractor. You can see the results below, but it is in fact a surround 5.1 mix, not just ambience. The credits list that the "Surround Audio was mixed by Kevin Shirley, with surround mastering by Bob Ludwig. One thing I can say is if you have the Garage CD and rip this song, you will see severe brickwalling, as the loud parts of the song have the wav forms pegged to the extremes. That is not the case with the audio here, so that's a plus.

The surround on "Turn the Page" is not overwhelming. The center is strong vocal, but the vocal can also be heard in the fronts and to a lesser degree in the rears. The rears are mostly an ambience mix, however towards the end (and you can see it in the wave forms below) there are two points where a lead guitar "flys around the room", just to remind us that this is indeed a surround mix!

I will listen to the whole thing at some point, but here's a peek at "Turn the Page", for those who get off on this stuff..........like me! :D

Attachments

• Turn the Page 800.jpg
    Turn the Page 800.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 459
Well after reading this thread I decided to revisit this DVD. I had originally purchased it when it was first released, probably watched it once or twice and then left it until now. I was very surprised by how good some of these mixes are. This first time I listened to it I had a very poor system, which has now been replaced by a fairly high end system. On my new system it sounds great! I never thought DD could ever sound as good as this, it is no Hi-Rez but no where near as bad as I was expecting. The songs all have real surround mixes which is also not what I was expecting.

Thanks guys for renewing my interest in this release.

I stand corrected! Paid another visit to the DVD last night and WHAM! It works wonderfully, even the latest stuff - and this from somebody who has parted ways with The Four Horsemen after ReLoad...
Well, this compilation is still hit'n'miss, yet something very well worth owning... gee, I'd just love to have this in hi-rez... blu-ray, anyone? Also, the symphony stuff ("S&M") should work really well in 5.1!
So come on, jump in the fire!!!

Baggy recently mentioned how good the Dolby surround is on this release so, on that recommendation, I 'bagged' a new copy for not a lot.
This really surprises me how good the surround mix is.
My son is a huge Metallica fan, I got him to sit in the sweet spot and it wasn't long before a broad smile spread over his face.

That's all I needed to get his approval, that indeed, as baggy said, It's great !!

Baggy recently mentioned how good the Dolby surround is on this release so, on that recommendation, I 'bagged' a new copy for not a lot.
This really surprises me how good the surround mix is.
My son is a huge Metallica fan, I got him to sit in the sweet spot and it wasn't long before a broad smile spread over his face.

That's all I needed to get his approval, that indeed, as baggy said, It's great !!
Perfect example of awesome surround material on DVD, as has been discussed recently!

Back