Genesis live albums in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Seconds Out comes out as an individual disc I'll get it. It was my introduction to the band.

Can't read the post. Not a member.

That was a recent poll question on the Genesis site; do you want them as issued or expanded to full shows. The Longs & The Shorts may get re-sequenced as well. Just bring it on. :)

Seconds Out is AWESOME! Top of their game on all counts and the 5.1 mix of this will stomp big time.

Relatedly: During a long data project yesterday, I fired up the SACD changer I recently got and started Genesis kick with Trespass and worked until Abacab finished. The BASS energy on these discs is huge and I had to cut the player -3 and the receiver -5 and it still moved the furniture!

Well, since I got burned on the last box by waiting too long for the NTSC DVDs, I just placed my preorder to lock in my copy (30% discount on 3+ import titles). I'm certain the details of this box are incorrect on HMV, but I am nervous about the CD designation. Regardless of the controversy about SACD vs. DTS 96/24, I would be very disappointed if this isn't a SACD+DVD box. The price point suggests SACD, but who knows. No official word yet from Genesis so there's no reason to panic...yet! ;) I wouldn't be surprised if this is only CD+DVD since this whole Genesis remix project has been a disappointment at one level or another ever since the beginning. Like pouring salt the wound...

Thanks for the heads up jsulzinger!
Josh :)

This is off the Japanese Tower website

DISC [1]
1.Watcher Of The Skies
2.Get 'Em Out By Friday
3.The Return Of The Giant Hogweed
4.The Musical Box
5.The Knife (Live)

DISC [2]
1.Squonk
2.Carpet Crawlers
3.Robbery, Assault And Battery
4.Afterglow
5.Firth Of Fifth
6.I Know What I Like
7.The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
8.The Musical Box (Closing Section)

DISC [3]
1.Supper's Ready
2.The Cinema Show
3.Dance On A Volcano
4.Los Endos

DISC [4]
1.Turn It On Again
2.Dodo
3.Abacab
4.Behind The Lines
5.Duchess
6.Me And Sarah Jane
7.Follow You Follow Me

DISC [5]
1.Misunderstanding
2.In The Cage (Medley)
3.Afterglow
4.One For The Vine
5.The Fountain Of Salmacis
6.It/Watcher Of The Skies

DISC [6]
1.Land Of Confusion
2.No Son Of Mine
3.Jesus He Knows Me
4.Throwing It All Away
5.I Can't Dance
6.Mama
7.Hold On My Heart
8.That's All
9.In Too Deep
10.Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
11.Invisible Touch

DISC [7]
1.Old Medley
2.Driving The Last Spike
3.Domino (Medley)
4.Fading Lights
5.Home By The Sea / Second Home By The Sea
6.Drum Duet

DISC [8]
1.Duke's Intro
2.Turn It On Again
3.No Son Of Mine
4.Land Of Confusion
5.In The Cage
6.Afterglow
7.Hold On My Heart
8.Home By The Sea
9.Follow You Follow Me
10.Firth Of Fifth (Excerpt)
11.I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)

DISC [9]
1.Mama
2.Ripples
3.Throwing It All Away
4.Domino
5.Conversations With 2 Stools
6.Los Endos
7.Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (Excerpt)
8.Invisible Touch
9.I Can’t Dance
10.Carpet Crawlers

DISC [10]
1.Firth Of Fifth
2.I Know What I Like
3.CInema Show
4.Dancing WIth The Moonlit Knight
5.Epping Forest
6.Suppers Ready
7.MOre Fool Me

DISC [10]
1.Firth Of Fifth
2.I Know What I Like
3.CInema Show
4.Dancing WIth The Moonlit Knight
5.Epping Forest
6.Suppers Ready
7.MOre Fool Me.......

Wot?
Excuse my ignoramussstatus...is this from the Genesis Archives (i.e. hopelessly overdubbed in the studio 25+ years later because we're too chickenshit to release it as it was but we're gonna do it anyway cause we're the artists and we can do whatever the hell we wanna do and of course the label is willing to pay for it)?????
This means that in the 1973 one you'll be able to hear the original PG voice bleeding from the monitor speakers-that's a perk...

It looks as though I'll pass this time...got 2 box sets already 1970-1983...maybe if they released the Seconds out separately....

No overdubbing or sweetening I'm aware of; these are the catalog live albums. Seconds Out is the most important segment IMHO, but if it is made available separately it could be relatively expensive as compared to being part of the box. Would be glad to also snag Genesis Live (1973) and some of Three Sides Live. The rest? Not so much.

I think the website info is tentative at best; Genesis forum members were polled as to whether they wanted the albums in original configuration or to be expanded/restored to complete shows (1973 Supper's Ready anyone?). I do not know the outcome of that poll and they're still putting the artwork together, asking fans for photos to use.

No overdubbing or sweetening I'm aware of; these are the catalog live albums.

There is no catalog live album of the Selling England tour (or Lamb tour), except for the overdubbed/sweetened Archive release. So the questionnis whether this version uses the Archive mix or the original tracks.

(Archive was not likely the first time tehre was 'fixing' in the studio; Seconds Out has also been reported to have been overdubbed a bit.)

Someone on the Steve Hoffman Forum informed us, that there will be no sacd-layer on the discs this time. And on the german Fan Forum a member posted this quote:

5th Jun 2009 - Nick Davis has confirmed on the official site forum that there will be NO SACD release for the forthcoming live box set. This release will be CD / DVD only - genesis-music.com

You have to leave it to these guys. They'll find a way of disappointing you...

(Archive was not likely the first time tehre was 'fixing' in the studio; Seconds Out has also been reported to have been overdubbed a bit.)

And "Seconds Out" may not have been the first "fixing." Once , after a Steve Hackett performance, I heard him tell some fans that the first Genesis Live album had some vocals overdubbed in the studio, due to the costumes getting in the way of the mic.

J. D.

5th Jun 2009 - Nick Davis has confirmed on the official site forum that there will be NO SACD release for the forthcoming live box set. This release will be CD / DVD only - genesis-music.com
:mad:

Normally I'd say "unbelievable" but given that it's Genesis, I'd say it's completely believable. :rolleyes: Don't worry wolfram, I don't hold you accountable as the messenger, it just means I need to pop in a Tacet DVD-A to calm me down. ;)

Guess that means I'll cancel my HMV preorder, Rhino/Atlantic wins the format battle, and SACD loses.

You have to leave it to these guys. They'll find a way of disappointing you...
Face it, the band and its management have an uncanny talent.
Josh

So if they 'only' offer DTS 24/96, that's a reason to canceling orders?

That's nuts.:mad:@:

I listened to the Lamb all the way through in DTS the other day, and it sounded fantastic. A bonus was having the original show slides and live clips displayed during playback. Try that with SACD.

So if they 'only' offer DTS 24/96, that's a reason to canceling orders?

That's nuts.:mad:@:

Um...think about it a little harder...why on Earth would I buy a Japanese import for over $170.00 when the US version will be the same format and *should* be at least $50.00 cheaper? Now THAT'S nuts!

:rolleyes:

Um...think about it a little harder...why on Earth would I buy a Japanese import for over $170.00 when the US version will be the same format and *should* be at least $50.00 cheaper? Now THAT'S nuts!

:rolleyes:

My mistake, sorry...I considered including a clause in my post about 'except to get a better price', but the angst here and on Hoffman's board seemed more of the 'hand-wringing audiophile' nature.

My mistake, sorry...I considered including a clause in my post about 'except to get a better price', but the angst here and on Hoffman's board seemed more of the 'hand-wringing audiophile' nature.

No problem...I understand. I'm certainly irritated that SACD was abandoned but I agree with you that DTS is better than nothing. I just wish Genesis had seen the SACD format through to the end of the box set run. It would have been nice to have SACD from beginning to end. No surprise however!

Best,
Josh

Wow...just when you think it cannot get any worse...

From the fancy-pants pay-only super-secret mega-official Genesis forum, Nick Davis said on 20090608 that Seconds Out and Three Sides Live will be 5.1 but the Way We Walk and Live Over Europe will be 2-channel only! The following day, he said management is trying to convince the label to not even include Live Over Europe at all, which in a way makes sense if they are going to abandon 5.1. Lots of back and forth on the extras and fallout from that as well, but it's too much information for me to follow, and I'm really not sure how much I care anymore.

The progress report thread under the Ask Nick section of the forum has descended into a complete wasteland. Quite sad, the whole thing. It's a miracle the first three box sets saw the light of day at all.

:confused:
Josh

PS - I'd post Nick's comments directly, but I believe pants got in a wad a while back when someone posted Nick's comments from the forum on SH.tv. Also, because I've told you some insider information from the pay-only site, I expect to be offed in a back alley before the month is out. It was nice knowing all of you. ;)

PS - I'd post Nick's comments directly, but I believe pants got in a wad a while back when someone posted Nick's comments from the forum on SH.tv. Also, because I've told you some insider information from the pay-only site, I expect to be offed in a back alley before the month is out. It was nice knowing all of you. ;)

Hey Josh, I think you will live another day even after posting this. I guess I wasn't thinking clearly(seems to be a problem of mine) as I was one that quoted something by Nick at sh(I think it was about compression of Genesis stuff), I did post at genesis site to let Nick know that it was done and he politely(in the English way) said please don't do that as i will post something their if i desire to. Nick got bashed so much he didn't feel like posting at SH any more.

peter

Back