Cabaret soundtrack?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sculptorD5

Does the soundtrack to the motion picture Cabaret actually exist on Q8? It's one of my favorite pictures and I'd love to hear it. I've been searching on Ebay for years and have never seen a copy of this or found any threads about it posted online.

:confused:

Does the soundtrack to the motion picture Cabaret actually exist on Q8?
It's one of my favorite pictures and I'd love to hear it.
I've been searching on Ebay for years and have never seen a copy of this or found any threads about it posted online.:confused:

Check the various Q-8 tapeographies and see.

If not, the music on the new DVD has been remixed to 5.1 from the original master multitracks, however, aside from the music,
the film remains essentially mono like New York, New York and The Wiz, both from the same period.

Well, this tape is listed on the big Q8 tapeography, however I've yet to see one or hear from anyone who has it.

As far as the dvd, I doubt that would be like the Q8 mix. Also, just in case anyone was wondering, AFAIK all the IBtech prints of this film made in '72 were mono optical only. It's a real shame they didn't do some 4 track mag prints.

As far as 5.1 dvd mixes, I really disagree that they would be anything like a Q8 tape. New 5.1 mixes of older films have very little going on in the surrounds. For instance if you compare the Funny Girl Q8 to the dvd, the dvd has very little in the surrounds, whereas the Q8 is very agressive and discrete, often times having lead vocals coming from the rear channels on certain songs. :)

I saw this film on first release at a theatre in Brisbane. I clearly remember it beeing in 4 track magnetic sound as the theatre actually added hardware especially so it could playback the multi channel soundtrack.
:)

Even if the film soundtrack had been mixed to multichannel somewhere down the line--and the original film was issued in theaters in mono only--not likely they'd pull the actual quad mix and dub it into a 5.1 master for a DVD. Not impossible, but would take some work, and anyway, the performances on Lp/tape might not match those heard in the film (certainly, if nothing else, the edits would be much different).

ED :)

I saw this film on first release at a theatre in Brisbane. I clearly remember it beeing in 4 track magnetic sound as the theatre actually added hardware especially so it could playback the multi channel soundtrack.
:)

I've read rumors of it having genuine mag stereo prints in theaters outside the USA, but as noted up-thread, it apparently never played that way in its own country of origin.

Even worse, apparently the original stereo mix was lost a long, long time ago, which is why the laserdisc and DVD just have vaguely rechannelled fake stereo.

By the way, the DVD is an utter pile of crap, visually speaking.

This is an old thread, but I am fairly certain I have a SQ quadraphonic release of Cabaret on reel to reel. It is not labeled as quad. When I played it in stereo it sounded strange to me because the main characters voices where coming from both speakers, but the orchestra and other characters where coming from the left and right channels with center imaging for the orchestra only. I found this odd mixing for the time.

I put it through the involve audio SQ decoder and it came to life. It starts with clapping in the rear speakers as the voice of the main characters appear in all speakers and other characters and instruments appear in rear and front stereo often discreet stereo with good center imaging of the stereo orchestra soundstage.

I plant to post more details soon such as pictures of the box and possibly upload a transfer of the tape to youtube. I believe the info in the database of Q8 is not accurate. The item number on the box is one digit off of what is posted in the quad database.

Let's hope, if Warners ever releases Cabaret in UHD4K, the soundtrack will be repurposed for DOLBY ATMOS as it WAS awarded an Academy Award in 1973 for BEST SOUND!

See the source image

Last edited:
I've read rumors of it having genuine mag stereo prints in theaters outside the USA, but as noted up-thread, it apparently never played that way in its own country of origin.

Even worse, apparently the original stereo mix was lost a long, long time ago, which is why the laserdisc and DVD just have vaguely rechannelled fake stereo.

By the way, the DVD is an utter pile of crap, visually speaking.

Answering myself over 11 years later: I read a rumor that the four-track mix was previewed to American critics and/or industry insiders prior to release. When it came time for the MPAA to get their nasty little hands on it, they gave it an R rating because Michael York did not originally say "Screw Maximilian!" but rather...you know. Allegedly that was the only issue the MPAA had with it but they wouldn't budge, so the line was replaced (fortunately, York's mouth is not visible during it) and the new version never issued in stereo.

I don't know if that's actually true or more to the point if the replacement of a single line was the cause of the entire 4-track mix being discarded. It seems stupid enough to be unlikely but also stupid enough to be plausible.

Also, while the DVD remains a steaming pile, the Blu-ray is very nice.

It may also be relevant that Allied Artists was generally a low-budget operation (weren't they originally Monogram?) and wouldn't be around much longer. The only other then-current movie they put out that I can remember seeing in a theater was "Papillon".

I did some searching and found at least one reference in Quad Incorporated 1st edition "Cabaret (Soundtrack), ABC L-7752 (Q8) (d76). The (d76) refers to the title going out of print in 1976.
I find it odd that if the tape never existed that a reference to it going out of print would be mentioned but as of this time I and the other folks who have commented above have never seen a copy so I will move it to the not released discography.

Back