Bryan Ferry "Frantic"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BiggerzBetter

Okay, I'm going to try to "review" this new DVD-A disc. I'm going to say right upfront that I'm about as far from being an expert as you can get. My hometheater system sounds great to my ears, but would probably only rate "average" on an audiophile's scale.

First thing is that this disc isn't currently available in the U.S. The CD version has a May 21 release date, but in Germany the disc hit stores in mid-April in three formats: CD, SACD, and DVD-A. Thanks to the internet, you can order the disc and forget about clueless record labels. I know Ferry probably has more recognition value in Europe thanks to his association with the classic Roxy Music group, but Frantic really shows how companies could (and should) release multi-platform titles everywhere.

On the music side, Frantic is a mixed bag. Literally. Ferry covers not just one but two Bob Dylan songs, as well as the old standard "Goodnight, Irene." I don't much care for these songs, though "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" was recorded live with just Ferry's voice and a piano and it sounds great. There are a couple of songs that seem like they were designed to be pop hits ("One Way Love" and "Goddess of Love"), and then there are the "standard" Ferry songs. For me, those songs are what I came to hear and those are the ones that really deliver. While not nearly as sonically layered as those on previous solo albums ( Boys & Girls or Mamouna), songs like "Nobody Loves Me" and "San Simeon" are still great examples of ear candy.

On the multi-channel side, Frantic uses a really nice approach for its mix. The 5.1 audio doesn't throw everything and the kitchen sink at you. I guess I was expecting exactly that because of Ferry's sound, but after the second listening I was really pleased to notice that the surrounds seem to have been sensibly planned. All of the songs have an expanded sound that makes their 2-channel versions sound flat and condensed. But the multi-channel mix isn't afraid to make good use of the additional speakers when it wants to. I was most impressed with the use of the center channel as a sort of "spotlight." I've come to expect mixers to use the center channel for lead vocals, but Frantic goes a step beyond this. Ferry's lead vocals aren't always locked into the center speaker; in some songs, an instrumental solo will occupy that spot while the vocals are spread out. There are definitely splashy surround effects during some songs ("Hiroshima" is a great example), but overall the audio mix here feels like what a good multi-channel mix for a rock/pop album should feel like. The mix also doesn't try to hit you over the head with its dynamics. When killer bass is called for, it kicks in. But this isn't going to be a demo disc for showing off.

Overall, I think this is a great showcase for how good an album can sound when the multi-channel design isn't an afterthought. I'm really happy with and have listened to it about four or five times since yesterday afternoon.

FRANTIC Bryan Ferry
Virgin Records {Germany}
5.1 mix (88.2kHz / 24-bit)
2.0 stereo mix (88.2kHz / 24-bit)
screen text biography with photos

Well, if he were a true audiophile, he wouldn't be listening to surround sound in the first place, right?

:rolleyes:

Although I haven't been able to confirm release of this title here in the US, it did release today in Canada and is available through the HMV Canadian website at $22.37 (US). Anyone interested in this title can order from the link below. Click on the dvd-audio section on the left side of the page. This will take you to the main hi-rez page. Click on the dvd-audio symbol for a complete list of titles. "Frantic" will be found on page 3 of the listings.

HMV Canada

Just wanted to chime in with the fact that I'm still listening to this DVD-A title -- a lot. I think it holds up really well. It's definitely the disc I reach for when I want to listen to DVD-A.

I think part of that is because it's just nice to have a new release that was designed for multi-channel. The remixes of all these classic titles like Queen and Fleetwood Mac are great and appreciated, but I'm finding out that there's nothing like hearing a brand new release on DVD-A.

I remember reading somewhere that the next Fleetwood Mac album (without Christine McVie :( ) was supposed to be a simultaneous release on CD and DVD-A. Wonder if that's still going to happen?

I understand your enthusiasm for new surround mixes. Not sure of your musical tastes, but there a number of new titles that are now being released on dvd-a. The new Graham Nash Songs For Survivors dvd-a is extremely good as is Dishwalla's Opaline. There are also a couple of newer bands that have had their latest stuff released by 5.1 Entertainment such as Fireside's Uomini D'Onore (which has received very good reviews) and The Icarus Line's Mono.

If you're curious as to how they sound before buying, you can do what I do. I go up to Amazon.com and find the regular cd on their site by using their search engine. Almost all of their titles have a "Listen To Samples" section (a number of online music stores provide this service, I just happen to use Amazon.com). You can download samples of almost all tracks on the cd. This will give you a very good idea as to whether you'll like a specific title or not. If you find you like it, then go spend your hard earned cash on the dvd-a.

BTW, you won't be able to do this for the Graham Nash title as it has yet to be released on standard cd. Anyway give it a try. I'll bet you'll find a couple of other new releases that you like as well at Frantic.

As for the new Fleetwood Mac title, the last info I had, said that it was in the planning stages. As I haven't seen anything more concrete than that, I haven't added it to the announced section of the upcoming releases list.

mike

Just had the chance to listen to this DVD-A for the first time. Holy COW what an incredible surround mix!!!

Now how do I drum up 150 bucks to get a copy of my own?! :-/

You don't want to see what i gave it... :yikes Today I might bump up my vote a smidge...

I like the sound and mix, but (for me) content-wise its not Avalon or Boys & Girls...hence the low score.

Oh MIKE.. how could you!!! :yikes

Haha.. ;)

I was hugely biased by the material itself as I'd had a good few years absolutely loving it before finding the DVD-A.. then to hear those footsteps moving in surround.. oh my.. today I'd absolutely give it a 20 out of 10 :D

Back