1977 Navy Exchange Catalog Scans (Large Files!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I hope you all enjoyed the 1972 scans. Here is what's "QUAD" in the 1977 Navex catalog. Fewer choices, but better technology.

AGAIN - REMEMBER THESE ARE MILITARY PRICES!!!:D
rx-1.jpg
rx-2.jpg
CD4.jpg

Sheesh, my father left the service in 1971, a year before this catalog and just before I got interested in quad. Never saw it, my usual luck! :D

Thanks for posting the scans, Jon; a bit o' the past revisited; (and yes, Military Exchange prices were as low as possible, near warehouse cost, IIRC).

I remember the Exchanges we had with fondness, bought most of my Lp vinyl there in the early years (for some reason, the stores were better at Lp's than 45's, at which they were very erratic and, often, late with titles).

ED :)

Thanks Jon, these pictures reminds me my childhood, I was 4 y.o. in 1977 but I still remember that A3340S playing in our house and a Fender Twin Amp with my father's guitar (that deck was not ours anyway) and U.S. base just close to my town in Torregrande beach. Maybe they had that stuff for selling.... Sometimes I wish I was older

Interesting this is, I know I have at least one JVC demod similar to the one you scanned up north somewhere; who knows where it's buried! And I remember, at one point, having a Pickering cart of some kind, because you never forget that little dust brush (not sure how much good it did, if any).

By 1977 I don't remember going to a military Exchange; that probably ended somewhere around '73 or '74. Pity, if I'd known I coulda gotten that much quad gear that cheap, I'd made a habit of it for much longer...:D

ED :)

I was in Guam in 68/69 and I do remember that the best place to buy was at the Navy Exchange..Pioneer cs 88 speakers were $75. ea cs 99 was $95.ea.
Thanks for the memories.
Joe

wow! the akai gx630dss is listed for $567 for mil. prices, ca '77.
i bought my first gx630dss ~feb '78, paid close to $1k (civilian $).

i had the $ to buy a big sony/teac/pio 10" 4 ch/4 trk back in '73 when i was in the u.s. army in tokyo but in my ignorance instead bought the sony tc277-4 quad deck.
not a bad deck but a toy in comparison to the bigger ones.

oh, well, making up for it nowadays.

Last edited:
The Pickering XVU-4500Q 4-channel cartridge was the best I ever used. $65.00 was a lot of money back then but the Pickering XVU-4500Q was worth every penny. Once you finished all the things you had to do to setup a cartridge/turntable (alignment, tracking, etc) the Pickering did a great job playing CD-4 albums. It is a shame Pickering is no longer with us.

Justin

wow! the akai gx630dss is listed for $567 for mil. prices, ca '77.
i bought my first gx630dss ~feb '78, paid close to $1k (civilian $)......

This is the exact catalog I bought mine from. I agonized between the 630 and the big TEAC 3340S. Although I was sold on the TEAC, the fact that the TEAC was 15ips and 7 1/2ips, while the AKAI was 7 1/2ips with 3 3/4ips, swung the final decision to the AKAI. I was thinking along the lines of party tapes lasting 6 hours, and wanted the slower speed for that. I went back and forth in my head while I saved up the $567, which was pretty easy when you're out to sea. Not many places to spend the cash! :D

Jon, your avatar shows CSNY's "Deja Vu" as a quadradisc. I don't think it was ever released as such in the US. Was that a Japanese release? I know I would have grabbed it if it had been a US release.

Jon, your avatar shows CSNY's "Deja Vu" as a quadradisc. I don't think it was ever released as such in the US. Was that a Japanese release? I know I would have grabbed it if it had been a US release.

It's not real. It's from this thread: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?12326

where we were making "dream" Quadradisc covers. I would have grabbed it to it it were real!
You can see my full size cover in that thread, along with a bunch of other "dreams" :D

This is the exact catalog I bought mine from. I agonized between the 630 and the big TEAC 3340S. Although I was sold on the TEAC, the fact that the TEAC was 15ips and 7 1/2ips, while the AKAI was 7 1/2ips with 3 3/4ips, swung the final decision to the AKAI. I was thinking along the lines of party tapes lasting 6 hours, and wanted the slower speed for that. I went back and forth in my head while I saved up the $567, which was pretty easy when you're out to sea. Not many places to spend the cash! :D

after i started writing/recording original songs with/without the band(s) i was in, i came to wish i'd gotten one of the teac 4 trackers as the akai sync switches were/are quite loud when used for punch-ins. but i suffered thru it with the akai and learned how to manipulate the faders on whatever console i was using at the time to get rid of the switch noise.

Last edited:
OK, I am a little younger than some of you, but at least I can recall when the Navy Exchange was a great place to buy Hi-Fi equipment. I got my JBL L100T speakers there around 1990, among other things. Now days, the emphasis is on TVs, Blu-Ray players, and pre packaged surround systems. The DVD/Blu Ray section is triple the size of the CD section, and a speaker over two feet tall is nowhere to be had.

OK, I am a little younger than some of you, but at least I can recall when the Navy Exchange was a great place to buy Hi-Fi equipment. I got my JBL L100T speakers there around 1990, among other things. Now days, the emphasis is on TVs, Blu-Ray players, and pre packaged surround systems. The DVD/Blu Ray section is triple the size of the CD section, and a speaker over two feet tall is nowhere to be had.

it'd be interesting to see one of the new(er) military exchange catalogs.

Back