Oppo BDP-83: The Official QQ Thread [BLU-RAY/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BDP-83 had an official firmware update on March 7, 2012. Thought I'd mention it since I don't see a reference in this thread to the update.

The new firmware managed to get my "Game of Thrones" Blu-ray discs to load properly.

The BDP-83 had an official firmware update on March 7, 2012. Thought I'd mention it since I don't see a reference in this thread to the update.

The new firmware managed to get my "Game of Thrones" Blu-ray discs to load properly.

Yeah, but the ISO file playback function has been removed in this firmware version.

At some point I plan to purchase an Oppo Blu-ray player. I have an Oppo DV-970HD it does SACD, DVDA, upconverts DVD to 1080p, NTSC and PAL, region free! I also purchased a Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD player for a song, it won't do Blu-ray, DVDA or SACD but HD-DVD's are available cheap on eBay. I've months of HD viewing ahead of me for pennies a day! Don't you love so called obsolete formats! Also purchased a working Super Beta HiFi to copy some titles that I've not seen in other formats. I copied David Bowie Serious Moonlight from Beta, just has a few drop-outs. I wonder if the DVD release still has the SQ encoding?

When you have an external hard drive or a thumb drive connected via USB, how exactly do you navigate into the folders? I can see the folders, but as of yet, I can't figure out how I actually get inside the folder to play any of the music files. Obviously, operator error, but just not sure what I'm not doing correctly.

It needs to be a FAT32 drive not NTFS for an 83...you need to select "Music" from the home menu not any of the other options, e.g. "Movies" as it only shows Movie files under Movies.

Also note from the manual:

The USB ports are rated to provide a maximum of 5V, 500mA power to the
USB drive. It is sufficient for all USB thumb drives and flash memory card
readers, but may not be sufficient for USB hard disks.

• This unit supports “USB Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport” devices only. Most
USB thumbs drives, portable hard disk drives and card readers conform to this device
class. Other USB devices such as MP3 players, digital cameras, and mobile phones
may not be compatible.
• Supported USB drives must be formatted with the FAT (File Allocation Table) or FAT32
file system. Drives formatted with NTFS file system are not supported.
• In some cases, an incompatible USB device may cause the player to stop responding. If
this occurs simply turn off the power, remove the USB device, and turn the player back
on.

Back