Oppo BDP-83: The Official QQ Thread [BLU-RAY/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just found the first disc that my BDP-83 will not play. Midnight Oil-Capricornia DTS-CD, it loads as a Red Book CD???? It will not play in my OPPO DV-980H either, but plays fine on my Yamaha DVD-S1800. Does anyone have this disc that can be tested in their player? I thought it was a bad disc until it played in the Yamaha.

It's the disc.

If you have a wave editing program, you need to clip the first second or two of silence from the first track and burn a new CD with the ripped tracks.

Some players can't get a lock on it.

I received my BDP83 back from Oppo. While I am still impressed with Oppo's response (I had my player back in a little over a week) I am still less than thrilled... no... downright disgusted with the DVD-A playback of this machine. I popped in the Machine Head disc and the playback seems to be worse now than it was before I sent it out. Even the Rhino logo intro is clipped. Smoke On The Water is missing almost the entire first chord. I am sorry. I know everyone loves this thing but in my opinion it is a piece of garbage. There is absolutely no point in me keeping this in my main system if it isn't going to work correctly. I guess I might have to look at the new Denon when it finally comes out. I am truly disappointed.

Have you tried the latest firmware http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Support.aspx to see if it helps?
Or, maybe they already installed it for you while your player was in for service.

It's the disc.

If you have a wave editing program, you need to clip the first second or two of silence from the first track and burn a new CD with the ripped tracks.

Some players can't get a lock on it.

Thanks filper, I am playing it thru the coaxial output and letting my receiver decode it. I am a caveman with music computer programs, I am still running Nero 5 or 6, can not remember which. I have never downloaded music files or MP3's and would not know where to start. A few friends have sent me downloaded discs, but I have never done one myself.

The Oppo 83 does not have abiltiy to decode DTS-ES. Per the "Audio Signal Reference Chart" in the Oppo manual, for the DTS family it can decode DTS, DTS-HD and DTS-HD Master Audio but there is no mention there, or in the product specs, of DTS-ES. This has come up before over at the Oppo 83 thread over at avsforums, so there could be more information about this issue there.

avsforum thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1124287
manual: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Support.aspx
specs: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Features.aspx

The Oppo 83 does not have abiltiy to decode DTS-ES. Per the "Audio Signal Reference Chart" in the Oppo manual, for the DTS family it can decode DTS, DTS-HD and DTS-HD Master Audio but there is no mention there, or in the product specs, of DTS-ES. This has come up before over at the Oppo 83 thread over at avsforums, so there could be more information about this issue there.

avsforum thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1124287
manual: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Support.aspx
specs: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Features.aspx

I own Don Henley-The End Of Innocence which has DTS-ES printed on the disc and it plays perfect in both of my OPPO's????? Is there more than one type of DTS-ES?

I have the Don Henley disc too and it's only the first song that's in DTS-ES.
Also, no, the BDP-83 does not have DTS-EX encoding on board but it will pass through to a capable AVR.
What the BDP-83 does is matrix the Back Surrounds from 5.1.

I have the Don Henley disc too and it's only the first song that's in DTS-ES.
Also, no, the BDP-83 does not have DTS-EX encoding on board but it will pass through to a capable AVR.
What the BDP-83 does is matrix the Back Surrounds from 5.1.

I understand what you are saying, but the fact remains that the BDP-83 will play the Don Henley first track DTS-ES thru the analog outputs and will not play the Midnight Oil disc at all except by letting my receiver decode it. The question, why will it play Henley and not Midnight Oil.

I thought the Midnight Oil disc was a DVD-A.
Sorry, don't have the disc but I wouldn't think it would contain a DTS-ES codec.
Perhaps, it's using a different codec on the disc through the AVR?

The Midnight Oil is a DTS-ES CD for sure, my receiver displays DTS-ES when decoding it. I think channelar has hit it straight, this is a problem disc for many players.

The Midnight Oil is a DTS-ES CD for sure, my receiver displays DTS-ES when decoding it. I think channelar has hit it straight, this is a problem disc for many players.

Well I'm pretty sure I've read, maybe in the AVS thread I linked, that Oppo support confirmed the 83 does not decode DTS-ES. Maybe that Don Henley disc is not really DTS-ES? I suggest sending Oppo support an email mentioning your problem, name of the disc and the fact it is DTS-ES... they are really good at replying.

Well I wasn't able to find it on the AVS thread (but insiders there did have some posts that seem to confirm it's lack of DTS-ES decoding), but I did find this in another forum...

From an Oppo support email:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=123377

"DTS ES and Dolby Digital EX decoding is something that we are investigating with our decoder manufacturer, but we do not know at this time if we will be able to add this technology to our current line of products."

"The player is DTS and Dolby Digital Essential only. It can bitstream all DTS and Dolby Digital formats, but it can only decode Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital TrueHD, DTS, DTS High Resolution and DTS-HD Master. It does not support any of the ES or EX formats for decoding at this time. "

But best to probably contact them yourself and see what they tell you.

Well I'm pretty sure I've read, maybe in the AVS thread I linked, that Oppo support confirmed the 83 does not decode DTS-ES. Maybe that Don Henley disc is not really DTS-ES? I suggest sending Oppo support an email mentioning your problem, name of the disc and the fact it is DTS-ES... they are really good at replying.

Thank you for your reply Bill. The first track of Henley and all of Midnight Oil Show DTS-ES on my receiver when fed thru coaxial, so I am pretty sure they are DTS-ES CD's. I was just trying to figure out why it would play one and not the other. Midnight Oil sounds fine played coaxial and it is something I can live with. I have purchased so many different brand players in the past that had way more problems than either of my OPPO's. Like I stated earlier, if this is the only disc my players have a problem with, I will be one big happy camper.

It has to be a problem within the Midnight Oil disc then.
Like I stated earlier, the Don Henley disc has the one DTS-ES track that is most likely being matrixed when the BDP-83 is set to 7.1 for the rear channel(s) anyway.
Why the Midnight Oil disc is not working the same is beyond me.

It has to be a problem within the Midnight Oil disc then.
Like I stated earlier, the Don Henley disc has the one DTS-ES track that is most likely being matrixed when the BDP-83 is set to 7.1 for the rear channel(s) anyway.
Why the Midnight Oil disc is not working the same is beyond me.

Thank you for your help. It is a head scratcher. I am pleased with the performance of my OPPO players beyond words, so having one problem disc is no big deal. I had (3) stand alone DVD Audio players in my system not long ago to play my collection. It was running me crazy, OPPO saved me. I am sure I am not alone with past multiple player problems. Thanks again for helping me figure this out.

Thank you for your help. It is a head scratcher. I am pleased with the performance of my OPPO players beyond words, so having one problem disc is no big deal. I had (3) stand alone DVD Audio players in my system not long ago to play my collection. It was running me crazy, OPPO saved me. I am sure I am not alone with past multiple player problems. Thanks again for helping me figure this out.
My Pioneer 563 and 578, though they didn't play BluRay, played every other disc just fine once I installed the latest firmware in each.

My Pioneer 563 and 578, though they didn't play BluRay, played every other disc just fine once I installed the latest firmware in each.

I have owned (1) DVD Audio stand alone player that would play EVERY DVDA/DualDisc in my collection, a Panasonic DVD-97S and I still have it boxed under the guest bedroom bed. I have purchased DVDA and Universal Players from Toshiba, Samsung, Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha, and H/K with ALL having DVDA issues, but no SACD problems. I do understand your frustrations with your player, been there for many years.

I received zero customer support from the manufacture other than sending me a new unit with the same issues with most wanting to send a remanufactured unit.

Last edited:
Hello,
Just a quick note to give you Oppo owners a heads up. The latest firmware upgrade will make your deck recognize watermarks!!! I don't personally own the Oppo but a friend of mine does and upon doing the latest upgrade that is supposed to solve some other issues he found that it would no longer play watermarked discs that it had previously played fine.

Apparently even Oppo can be bought...

The latest firmware upgrade will make your deck recognize watermarks!!!
Are you sure about that? I recently tried a copy of Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia (just for testing purposes! I own the original) and it played and as far as I know this disc has watermark.

@JonUrban: you can add me to the list of BDP-83 owners. Although this player ain't perfect, it is the best player I had.

Hello,
Just a quick note to give you Oppo owners a heads up. The latest firmware upgrade will make your deck recognize watermarks!!! I don't personally own the Oppo but a friend of mine does and upon doing the latest upgrade that is supposed to solve some other issues he found that it would no longer play watermarked discs that it had previously played fine.

Apparently even Oppo can be bought...

aquadad,
You should have your friend retest or call Oppo support for help. The most recently-released firmware does not change anything as far as watermark detection - I have my 83 up to the latest firmware version and am able to play without any problem my backup disc copies containing watermark that were derived from my commercial discs. If watermark protection was enabled in these players via firmware upgrade there would be a lot of chatter over in the 83 thread at avsforms, surroundsound google group, etc...

Back