Oppo BDP-83: The Official QQ Thread [BLU-RAY/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is anyone using this Oppo unit in a quad set-up? Can it be set to down mix audio to 4 channels on all formats? And, if so, how does it sound?

You can set it for 5.1 and tell it there is no center or sub. Dunno how it would sound since I've never tried.

Jon, you can finally add me to the list of BDP-83 owners too.
Just got my hands on an SE version, and am waiting for the Region Free kit to arrive.
How are others doing the region free thing?
My machine is currently locked to Region A (Blu Ray) and 1 or All for SD DVD.
Oppo recommend this solution - http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/region_free_blue-ray.htm

Just curious to know how everyone else is handling this problem.

Has anyone compared the BDP-83 SE to this http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/6...ray__SACD__DVD_Audio_Disc_Player-Disc_Players ? If so any noticeable differences? If so is it worth the 50% price difference?

I was wondering that too.
On the other hand, it could be like the "Lexicon" Universal player that is a BDP-83 in a fancy chassis at a £2,000 (yep - honestly, might even be more too) price point.....
I'll find the links & exact prices in a short while....

Here you go..
http://hometheaterreview.com/lexicon-bd-30-universal-blu-ray-player-reviewed/
http://www.slashgear.com/lexicon-bd-30-reviewed-an-oppo-bdp-83-at-7x-the-price-1870267/
etc.

I picked up mine about a month ago and it's pure quality through and through.. As far as being region free it's not but there is a mod out that cost about $100 and can be found on the Internet that makes it region free and it works quite well. You can order it region free from Amazon which is where I got mine through.

@JonUrban: you can add me to the list of BDP-83 owners. Although this player ain't perfect, it is the best player I had.

Wow. I've been really slacking on the owners list! I just added you and a bunch of other members. If anyone else wants to be on the list, let me know.
Thanks evdberg for reminding me!

I love my BD-83 but you can't program it to play tracks in the order of your choosing. And it is sometimes difficult to switch tracks smoothly by using the remote. So if you have friends over and you are trying to showcase certain tracks from a disc, at the end of one song, you might be able to go to the next track you want without hassle, but maybe not.

I get a lot of constant subwoofer rumble (whether the LFE is really active or not) when I output the SACD signal in DSD. When I change the output to PCM, the rumble disappears. I don't have this problem with DVDAs outputted in DSD. I'm puzzled by this. The PCM sounds fine, but I thought that DSD would sound better (if only I could get rid of the rumble) because the SACDS are encode with DSD and I set my reciever for DSD.
Any thoughts?

Stereo SACDs sound vastly improved compared to the Sony SACD player I previously used.

Please add me to the owner list
Thanks,
Harold

I love my BD-83 but you can't program it to play tracks in the order of your choosing. And it is sometimes difficult to switch tracks smoothly by using the remote. So if you have friends over and you are trying to showcase certain tracks from a disc, at the end of one song, you might be able to go to the next track you want without hassle, but maybe not.

I get a lot of constant subwoofer rumble (whether the LFE is really active or not) when I output the SACD signal in DSD. When I change the output to PCM, the rumble disappears. I don't have this problem with DVDAs outputted in DSD. I'm puzzled by this. The PCM sounds fine, but I thought that DSD would sound better (if only I could get rid of the rumble) because the SACDS are encode with DSD and I set my reciever for DSD.
Any thoughts?

Stereo SACDs sound vastly improved compared to the Sony SACD player I previously used.

Please add me to the owner list
Thanks,
Harold

Hi Harold!
Welcome to Club OPPO!
First, you can't output a DVD-A in SACD. DVD-A is PCM only.
As far as skipping the tracks, do you find the problem with the "Next" track button and with pushing a select number on the remote? I know that the numbered tracks on the remote don't work with DVD-A, you have to use the "Next" track button. Am I to assume you have your BDP-83 hooked up via analog and not HDMI? Also, make sure you have the latest firmware installed on your player. Then, we can trouble shoot some more.

Good news, bad news.

My wife has been complaining because my Yamaha DVD-C750 has become quite recalcitrant, and refuses to read just about any DVD (it started some time back failing to read David Crosby's "If I Could Only Remember My Name" DVD-A, and has been steadily downhill for some time).

So, the good news: she said "Go ahead and buy a replacement; a good one." Needing to maintain my investment in SACD and DVD-A discs, I headed for Oppo's page to order a BDP-83.

The bad news: According to Oppo's site, both the BDP-80 and BDP-83 state "Due to a shortage of major components, we have ceased production of this model."

What's a quadiophile to do?

Good news, bad news.

My wife has been complaining because my Yamaha DVD-C750 has become quite recalcitrant, and refuses to read just about any DVD (it started some time back failing to read David Crosby's "If I Could Only Remember My Name" DVD-A, and has been steadily downhill for some time).

So, the good news: she said "Go ahead and buy a replacement; a good one." Needing to maintain my investment in SACD and DVD-A discs, I headed for Oppo's page to order a BDP-83.

The bad news: According to Oppo's site, both the BDP-80 and BDP-83 state "Due to a shortage of major components, we have ceased production of this model."

What's a quadiophile to do?

That's some bad timing there! Or maybe it's good timing; that is, if you can hold off for a while because Oppo will be having a replacement for the '83. (Upcoming model is the '93: Though, I'm not sure if it is going to include SACD/DVD-audio, but that seems to be the rumor; Chris G might would know as he seems really on top of Oppo stuff.) Here's a link that discusses the upcoming model.... https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ing-Universal-Blu-ray-Player&highlight=bdp-93

Well, I ended up finding an Oppo DV-970HD on Craigslist for $50, so I figure I can pick up a BluRay player later, and keep the Oppo for the surround stuff.

If anyone's interested, there is a single, new BDP83 on sale right now from Amazon (not 3rd party seller) for the regular retail price.

Edit: Well, I just checked back on Amazon and it's already gone -- not even 30 minutes. Hope someone here got it.

Last edited:
I picked up a used BDP-83 last week and am very pleased that I could remove 3 other disc players I had for DVD-Audio, SACD and PAL DVD's. I got it from Graded Exchange and am very pleased with the transaction. It came with everything a new player was shipped with and the unit was good as new. It had a modification done to it so it can play Bluray region free.

I picked up a used BDP-83 last week and am very pleased that I could remove 3 other disc players I had for DVD-Audio, SACD and PAL DVD's. I got it from Graded Exchange and am very pleased with the transaction. It came with everything a new player was shipped with and the unit was good as new. It had a modification done to it so it can play Bluray region free.

Nice Mark! I think you'll be quite pleased with the 83.

Back