Oppo BDP-83: The Official QQ Thread [BLU-RAY/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine today. Hooked it up but I am not using HDMI yet. I don't currently have HDMI. Popped in ELP BSS and the beginning of every song is cut off when accessing each track. Though maybe it was the disc so I popped in Porcupine Tree's Deadwing. Same thing happens. Went to the track "Halo" and the first note is almost cut in half. I didn't have that problem on either my Pioneer 563 or the 578 so i know it's not my reciever. Any suggestions?? By the way I updated to the newest firmware and the same thing happens.

Oh no! Anyone else here have this problem? Bob, you should send a PM to SamS over at SHF and see if he's heard about this problem before.

I actually called Oppo and asked them about it. It happens on most of my DVDA discs too. I gave him the ELP and Porcpine Tree titles as examples but it happens on the Seal discs, Fleetwood mac etc. Only on DVDA too. SACD plays fine. The other thing they are working on is being able to reverse back to a previous track in fast reverse. Right now if you reverse back to the beginning of the track, it starts over. It will not go into the previous track.

Another question... If I am playing a BLU-Ray disc that is 1080p and my tv only does up to 1080i (my DVR plays in 1080i all the time) will the 1080p stream play in 1080i. I am currently only able to get 480p using the composite out and even if i set the resolution on the player my TV only registers 480p. When I switch to DVR it registers 1080i on screen.

Oh yeah one more thing....

Since I am using this analog, would I play back DTS-HD or Dolby-TRUE using the analogs even though the digital comes through the coax out. I would assume that, since the signal is lossless, analog out instead of digital out would be best.... or would it???

Another question... If I am playing a BLU-Ray disc that is 1080p and my tv only does up to 1080i (my DVR plays in 1080i all the time) will the 1080p stream play in 1080i. I am currently only able to get 480p using the composite out and even if i set the resolution on the player my TV only registers 480p. When I switch to DVR it registers 1080i on screen.

Bob,

I think that's the copy protection. You can't do the HiRez video from BD without using HDMI.

I am going to test the DVD-A issues you are having sometime today.

Oh yeah one more thing....

Since I am using this analog, would I play back DTS-HD or Dolby-TRUE using the analogs even though the digital comes through the coax out.
Neither of those comes out the coax, only the HDMI and analog.

I would assume that, since the signal is lossless, analog out instead of digital out would be best.... or would it???
Best? Nah but it would work.

Kal

Got mine today. Hooked it up but I am not using HDMI yet. I don't currently have HDMI. Popped in ELP BSS and the beginning of every song is cut off when accessing each track. Though maybe it was the disc so I popped in Porcupine Tree's Deadwing. Same thing happens. Went to the track "Halo" and the first note is almost cut in half. I didn't have that problem on either my Pioneer 563 or the 578 so i know it's not my reciever. Any suggestions?? By the way I updated to the newest firmware and the same thing happens.

Bob, this a bummer in deed. I would be doing a similar setup at my home as well as I don't have a hdmi Receiver and my Tv does 1080i at best so will be keenly reading what you have to report. As much as this is a BR player one of my main interests is to get a good Sacd\Dvd Audio player so having the Dvd Audio glitches you are getting is disappointing to hear.
Keep us posted......

peter

Hello, I'm very happy with my purchase. I aquired this primarily for SACD/DVD-A playback via HDMI (OPPO supplies you with 1 short run cable to connect to your AVR. You'll need another to get to your TV). The sound is outstanding. In fact, I'm hearing what seems to be a completely new mix with each disc I play. Porcupine Tree's IN ABSENTIA DVD-A, which I've easily played over 100 times with my Denon DVD-2900, reveals nuances I hadn't heard previously. With the Denon AVR-2808CI, I get straight DSD Direct. I could go on.....no tech talk here, sorry. My ears are very happy. Thanks.

Bob, this a bummer in deed. I would be doing a similar setup at my home as well as I don't have a hdmi Receiver and my Tv does 1080i at best so will be keenly reading what you have to report. As much as this is a BR player one of my main interests is to get a good Sacd\Dvd Audio player so having the Dvd Audio glitches you are getting is disappointing to hear.
Keep us posted......

peter

yes and even with multizone blu ray and dvd mods becoming available, it's a real pain for us overseas customers if the problem isn't fixed, because I would not really want to ship it back ,just to fix such an annoying minor glitch.....it was bad enough owning the first dts pressing of band on the run

Bob,

I think that's the copy protection. You can't do the HiRez video from BD without using HDMI.

I am going to test the DVD-A issues you are having sometime today.

According to the manual, you can do 480i/p, 720p, 1080i through the component out. My TV does 480i/p and 1080i. If I change the resolution of the player from 1080p to 1080i, my tv still says 480p. Using the test disc that comes with the player, anything but 480p causes the TV to go to blue screen. This is even though the DVR I have shows 1080i. I wonder if you can't change the resolution from 1080p to 1080i. I know now that you cannot upconvert a DVD that is encrypted to 1080i. I have a Mitsubishi 55" widescreen TV.

Bob,

I have a 1080i Plasma Pioneer, and I set the Oppo for 1080i and all is well. I am, however, using HDMI through my Denon AVR.

I am pretty sure that the spec's on Blu-Ray playback do not allow anything over 480p out the analog outputs. Can anyone confirm this?

It does work at 1080i through the component out. I only have one 1080i input on my tv. Once I switched things around on the back of the tv it worked perfectly. If I switched to 1080i the display showed 1080i when I switched down to 480p or 480i I also got the proper reading on my tv display.

I can't wait until I can actually afford a new TV. This one is almost 7 or 8 years old now I think.

Jon, you can add me to the list of new BDP-83 owners from our group. I only unboxed mine on Friday night and even with Father's Day privileges I still had to spend some time this weekend with the family.

This is great unit but I need to address an earlier post here. I'm also an owner of the Oppo 980H. The 980H (and I believe other Oppo DVD-A's) have a 'known problem' of clipping the first half second on some DVD-A tracks. Not all tracks but consistently on the ones it does clip. I haven't been able to test it to any extent on the BDP-83 but it maybe a real issue. I know that firmware updates do correct some of the clipping with the help of people providing their discs to Oppo for testing. I lived with it on the 980H because the audio is so superb and lowered it to a slight irritation on the few discs it does occur.

I do have a problem with Neil Young Archives Blu-ray. Only tried the first disc so far and all was working fine until I tried a track select (picking from the file cabinet). The unit goes to a blank screen with no audio. The only way to get out of this was to open the disc drawer. The Young blu-ray warns you and it does take an excessive amount of time to load initially. Oppo Cust. Service suggested I load the Beta firmware and I'll try that tonight.

I can tell you that the beta firmware does not fix the track clipping problem.

I can tell you that the beta firmware does not fix the track clipping problem.

I must not have a grip on this issue. Here's what I did:

1) Put BSS DVD-A in the player
2) Track skipped to "Lucky Man" (the only song I really know well)
3) Started play with no issues
4) Pressed reverse track.
5) It went right back to the start of "Lucky Man"
6) I them pressed reverse track 3 times
7) It went back 3 tracks and started to play the tune displayed

Is this how to check the problem? I don't get it...........:mad:@:

I must not have a grip on this issue. Here's what I did:

1) Put BSS DVD-A in the player
2) Track skipped to "Lucky Man" (the only song I really know well)
3) Started play with no issues
4) Pressed reverse track.
5) It went right back to the start of "Lucky Man"
6) I them pressed reverse track 3 times
7) It went back 3 tracks and started to play the tune displayed

Is this how to check the problem? I don't get it...........:mad:@:

Here is what I do:

1) Put BSS in the player close the door
2) Disc starts after hitting play - beginning of the 1st track clipped off.
3) Skip to next track - beginning clipped off.
4) Reverse back to beginning of track 2 - track restarts, also with clipped off beginning.
5) Try to reverse into end of track one - no can do. Stops at beginning of track 2 and will not reverse into track one so beginning of track two can be heard.

On my machine the first track and any track that is skipped >| to has a clipped beginning. Currently there is no way to reverse << into the end of the previous track so that the entire current track can be heard. This is on all discs I have tried including homemade discs. All discs with this problem on the Oppo player do not have the problem in either of my Pioneer players.

If you play a disc from beginning to end only the first track is clipped. All others play fine. I think it is a problem with the way the player accesses the track starts of a DVD-Audio disc. Again, this is with the analog outs.

Hey Bob, I can confirm that the clipping DOES occur on BSS DVD-Audio and most obvious on Jerusalem, Still...You Turn me On and Lucky Man. The other songs aren't as noticeable to me but they may have a slight sound delay to not make the clip noticeable. It is a very quick clip to where the beginning of the first striking of the guitar note in Still...You Turn Me On is not heard. The sound begins with the first note in progress.

I can also concur that you cannot rewind in reverse to a new song, only to the beginning of a song of the current song.

And, the Beta firmware does not fix my problem in the Neil Young Archives set were selecting a song from the file cabinet locks the system up and requires turning it off to recover. I would like to know if anyone else is having this song selection issue from the file cabinet on the Neil set. Oppo Cust. Service had not had the problem reported by anyone else as of today. The only Neil set report they had was the initial delay in loading the discs but I don't think that is an Oppo issue since the disc warns of the delay.

I'll have to play around with this a bit more.

I still don't understand the "reverse to a new song". Do you guys mean by hitting the [<< ]control or the [|<<] control? I can use the [|<<] and go back to earlier tracks without a problem. I don't get it.

As for "Archives", the problem has been reported to Oppo about the Topanga #1 disc. If you go to the filing cabinet and select a song, the screen goes blank and it appears the machine has locked up. However, if you wait a very long time, it will eventually load the song. This does not happen on the other discs, like the one with the Harvest tracks on it.

I'll have to play around with this a bit more.

I still don't understand the "reverse to a new song". Do you guys mean by hitting the [<< ]control or the [|<<] control? I can use the [|<<] and go back to earlier tracks without a problem. I don't get it..
You can go track to track by using |<< or >>| to skip a track with no problem but if if I am on track 2 and I want to fast rewind << into the end of track one it can't be done. As soon as you hit the start of the track you are on it starts playing again and will not continue to rewind into the previous track.

Back