The Tacet Thread (Reviews/Latest News & Releases/General Discussion)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NEW RELEASE:

01714.jpg

Polish Chamber Philharmonic Orchestra - Beethoven: Op. 55/No. 3, Symphony in E Flat Major; Op. 60/No. 4, Symphony in B Flat Major (Tacet's Beethoven Symphonies: No. 3 & 4)

You been informed, now go forth and buy!
Josh :phones

TACET (Andreas Spreer) wrote:" BluRay still is more expensive than SACD, SACD is more expensive than DVD-Audio."

SoonerCaniac (Josh) wrote: "However, the cost of two discs is obviously more than one, and I am assuming this is at least partially why a hybrid SACD is more expensive to produce than a DVD-A"

I am a little confused about this cost: from the start of the unfortunate SACD vs DVD-A format war back in 2000 until now, the retail price of DVD-A is almost always higher than that of SACD despite the higher cost of the latter. I am not complaining, just curious about this reversed price difference. Both SACD and DVD-A are marvellous media for multi-channel recordings.

Last edited:
Dear readers,

TACET produces a video. The shooting was on september 24 featuring Auryn Quartet and Peter Orth, piano. They played Schumann piano quintet and quartet. The video will be very short, around 2 minutes and will try to show what is going on with you the listener during a good surround sound session. Here are some photos: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=100001920422191
Release date next february.

Andreas Spreer

Hallo Andreas,

thanks for keeping us up to date with your projects. Even if this thread has slowed down a little, people around here are still very much interested in what TACET does. Please let us know when this video is released.

And don't forget about that 9th Beethoven symphony. ;)

Thank you for the kind gesture. I look forward to listening to this on my system. Good luck on your future ventures.

Well, that was fun. The music follows the instruments as they swirl around the monitor. Couple of syncronization issues but fun none the less.

Do you plan to release full versions of this artform?

Last edited:
The video posted by TACET helped me appreciate the "Moving Surround" presentation. Listening to the "Moving Surround" through speakers only without the visual cue makes me disoriented. Now with the motion of musician in display to guide my anticipation, the swirling sounds suddenly make sense and are very enjoyable.
I hope that this is sign that TACET will venture into the BluRay production sooner to take advantage of the superior hi res video on top of hi res multichannel sound.
We are near the end of 2011 but the Beethoven 9th is still not in print. Given the current instability in Euro zone we most probably have to wait a lot longer.

tacet ravel (300x300).jpg

While getting used to a new performance of a favorite classical piece takes time, and even some effort, the surround presentation and fidelity of this Tacet recording makes it a whole lot easier. Ravel's La Valse, the highlight of this album, never sounded better. Now THAT is what surround is all about! I wish Tacet would focus more on full orchestral recordings like this one; enough of quartets and solo works... we want the whole orchestra! The other classical music labels offering multichannel should really take example on this.

Tracklist:

01. La Valse (12:24)
02. Ma mère l'Oye: I. Pavane de la Belle au bois dormant (1:40)
03. Ma mère l'Oye: II. Petit Poucet (3:46)
04. Ma mère l'Oye: III. Laideronette, Impératrice des Pagodes (4:01)
05. Ma mère l'Oye: IV. Les entretiens de la Belle et de la Bête (4:57)
06. Ma mère l'Oye: V. Le jardin féerique (3:50)
07. Tzigane (9:29)
08. Boléro (16:46)
09. Pavane pour une infante défunte (6:27)

I must confess that, solely because of personal taste, I mostly play La Valse and Pavane pour une Infante Défunte. But the other pieces are not without their charm.

If you are new to the Tacet "experience", and/or are not usually a classical music fan and want to wet your feet, I highly recommend this one!

Available on SACD and Blu-Ray

Pictures At An Exhibition DVD-Audio

I got this for the "moving surround" version, and I love it.

modest.jpg

- "Did the surround move for you too?" :eek:

I can see I'm going to have to get all these Tacet titles, they sound v.much up my street..

You have a LOT of catching up to do, Adam. Tacet released in DVD~A, SACD and NOW BD~A and I've NEVER been disappointed by ANY of their very fine releases.

We used to have heated battles over at SA~CD.net regarding the use of discrete elements in classical recordings.......MOST preferred ambience vs. discrete! I used to tell them, If you want ambience in the rear open the f**king window!

Seek them out, Adam. They're Special [like you].(y)

Here's three pages of SACD/BD~A titles from HRAudio.net http://hraudio.net/search.php?format=0&keywords=TACET&page=1

You have a LOT of catching up to do, Adam. Tacet released in DVD~A, SACD and NOW BD~A and I've NEVER been disappointed by ANY of their very fine releases.

We used to have heated battles over at SA~CD.net regarding the use of discrete elements in classical recordings.......MOST preferred ambience vs. discrete! I used to tell them, If you want ambience in the rear open the f**king window!

Here's three pages of SACD/BD~A titles from HRAudio.net http://hraudio.net/search.php?format=0&keywords=TACET&page=1

Hmmm... luvs me sum diskr3t3 klassikul

Now Now, Ralphie... Be nice. There is plenty of room for all on a BD-A. Ambient recordings do work very well for some types of music...especially where the instruments & voices need to expand into the 3-dimensional space of the concert hall, cathedral or other recording venue. It might sound counterintuitive, but aggressive, discrete surround mixes can sometimes suffocate the music and/or performance.
Whoops! Time to duck... :couch

But...I do remember those heated discussions over there. One fanatic jumped all over me making accusations that I never go to live performances therefore I don't know what "real" music sounds like... when the truth is I often go to concerts. (In fact, I'm going to a ballet this evening.)
Phew! I certainly don't miss that childish behavior. :mad:@::mad:@::mad:@::mad:@::mad:@:

Now Now, Ralphie... Be nice. There is plenty of room for all on a BD-A. Ambient recordings do work very well for some types of music...especially where the instruments & voices need to expand into the 3-dimensional space of the concert hall, cathedral or other recording venue. It might sound counterintuitive, but aggressive, discrete surround mixes can sometimes suffocate the music and/or performance.

But...I do remember those heated discussions over there. One fanatic jumped all over me making accusations that I never go to live performances therefore I don't know what "real" music sounds like... when the truth is I often go to concerts. (In fact, I'm going to a ballet this evening.)
Phew! I certainly don't miss that childish behavior. :mad:@::mad:@::mad:@::mad:@::mad:@:

Well, if you did 'frequent' live concerts, Brett, I'm sure you'd experiencing people coughing and (gulp) snoring behind you and what's musical about that?

As the home experience is devoid of actually being in a concert hall environment, my argument was that listening at home was a totally different experience and I remember years ago, one of those snobby audiophile mags said that one could NEVER fully duplicate the sound of a LIVE CONCERT VENUE in one's home listening environment due to the logistics (meaning size/space) of that environment.

Perhaps when I finally (it's taking forever) do acquire my matching Meridian speakers (front & Rear), I might think differently, but unless one has perfectly matching speakers, front and rear, something always gets "lost in translation!"

That last statement is predicated on those AF QUAD SACDs........there is 'equal' musical info in the fronts and rears and smaller or non~matching rears can easily spoil the mix...or upset the balance!

Ralph, you know I am a huge fan of TACET and immersive surround mixes.

I just don't understand the "either/or" way of thinking.

Why limit ourselves when it comes to music, the creative spirit...?

Well, if you did 'frequent' live concerts, Brett, I'm sure you'd experiencing people coughing and (gulp) snoring behind you and what's musical about that?

As the home experience is devoid of actually being in a concert hall environment, my argument was that listening at home was a totally different experience and I remember years ago, one of those snobby audiophile mags said that one could NEVER fully duplicate the sound of a LIVE CONCERT VENUE in one's home listening environment due to the logistics (meaning size/space) of that environment.

Perhaps when I finally (it's taking forever) do acquire my matching Meridian speakers (front & Rear), I might think differently, but unless one has perfectly matching speakers, front and rear, something always gets "lost in translation!"

That last statement is predicated on those AF QUAD SACDs........there is 'equal' musical info in the fronts and rears and smaller or non~matching rears can easily spoil the mix...or upset the balance!

Very very good points Ralph! :worthy

One of the things that I feel gets lost in translation with surround mixes that are intended to recreate the ambience of the venue in which said musical programme was recorded is with those set in large concert halls and so forth.. because the last time I checked, my living room did not resemble The Royal Festival Hall in any way, shape or form..!

So I struggle at times a little bit with how I would be able to replicate the experience of "being there" (i.e. being in such a venue) when I'm sat on the sofa 2.5 metres away from the front 3 speakers and now only 1 measly metre apiece away from the rear speakers! :yikes

room ambience of something more closely resembling a similarly small room, or a recording studio or something.. kinda seems more realistic but.. maybe I'm missing the point of such mixes altogether.. I guess with futzing or really well captured room ambience with mics setup all over the place in the recording or some clever trickery it could work when scaled down to a much much smaller space.. and of course live concert surround mixes can be very effective.. and not only does my living room not resemble the RFH its not much like Wembley Stadium either...

ugh.. put it this way, where ambient surround mixes are concerned, "I'm not in love but I'm open to persuasion" (as Joan Armatrading sang.. :eek: )

Last edited:
Back