Silverline DVD-As...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Squires Jr

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Were any of the Silverline DVD-A discs watermarked?
I wouldn't have thought they'd spend the money on licensing the
watermark code as I hear it can be rather expensive.

-Bob

Lord forbid anyone wanting to copy a Silverline disc! :D

As for the watermark, I've never checked to see. I really don't own many Silverlines, and I probably have only played each one once.

I don't think the 'Inside the Music' series were watermarked. I don't know about their other discs.

Lord forbid anyone wanting to copy a Silverline disc! :D

As for the watermark, I've never checked to see. I really don't own many Silverlines, and I probably have only played each one once.

I asked as I saw someone state that the "From The Front Row" series was.
I doubt it.

I only have a few and my player doesn't recognize the watermark so I can't tell. :D

And yeah, I know they suck!

-Bob

Not all of them suck!
The ones from the "Cooking Vinyl" deal are rather good in the main.
Check out BJ Cole's "Trouble In Paradise" - superb.
I also have a rather good one from Robert Cray.

I'll second that on Robert Cray's "Time will tell" from Silverline. This one was done very well and I have played it more than once !! :smokin

I don't know how many of the Silverline titles use a watermark but I have read that at least some don't so I expect most or all don't. As far as quality, I don't own any of the From the Front Row Live series but concluded all are awful from what I have read. I also believe the majority of the titles obtained through the Sanctuary deal are awful with some exceptions because Sanctuary provided nothing for Silverline to work with in most cases. The Mavericks, Dar Williams, Widespread Panic, B.J. Cole, Pere Ubu, Brimstone Butterfly, Dishwalla, Ziroq, Jane Monheit, Big Phat Band, and a few other artists are all well served on one of the 5.1 Entertainment Group labels in my opinion, Silverline, Immergent and Myutopia. I must have about thirty 5.1 Entertainment Group titles I like and are all part of my regular rotation, meaning played once or twice a year on average.

Chris

I know that Silverline put out a LOT of garbage along the way, but I think Chris is right on target about there being at least thirty worthwhile titles in true surround. There are suggestions scattered about QQ that have helped me find some of these, but I have always wished for a complete Silverline discography with comments as to which titles are in true surround and which are not.

Mark Z

Actually the Glen Phillips "Albulm" is pretty good too.
So there are some that are OK.

-Bob

I like "Abulum" pretty well, I do include it somewhere near the bottom of my 30 worthwhile 5.1 Entertainment Group titles that I own. It is a pretty nice pop album. I never paid any attention to Toad the Wet Sprocket and the album was a blind buy for me. In general, the newer recordings that Silverline licensed to release on DVD-A are the cream of the crop.

If you like guitar driven jazz, I think the David Becker Tribune "Germerica" DVD-A is a great deal One of the best things about the good Silverline titles is that there are so many bad ones, practically worthless, and the difficulty to know which ones are good has driven down the prices of the good ones.

http://www.amazon.com/David-Becker-Tribune-Germerica/dp/B00005LDDK

Chris

Anyone know if the Jane Monheit In the Sun is really a dualdisc with a surround side? Amazon shows a listing for it but I have only read here of three dual discs with surround, never this title before.

Looks like it is 5.1 judging from the product picture of the back cover, although I can only make out a Dolby Digital logo so it may only be a DVD-V.

51CsrG4557L.jpg

Looks like it is 5.1 judging from the product picture of the back cover, although I can only make out a Dolby Digital logo so it may only be a DVD-V.

View attachment 12418

Thanks for that photo, so looks like it really exists. Its cheap enough that Im going to go ahead and be a gunea pig and order it. If I get the correct item sent....

I picked this up from Amazon, when I was looking for dualdiscs with DVD Audio. I do have Jane Monheit's first two DVD Audio discs and they sound great. Also saw her in concert this past year with Mark O'Connor.

Amazon tends to be alright, because everything is based on the barcodes on the back of the package. As long as you've verified the barcode is different from the regular CD version, you should get the right thing.

Great! So it looks there are four Jane Monheit dual discs and three have a DVDA 5.1 side. I believe the first two are also available as stand alone DVDAs.
Who has heard her Christmas music dualdisc? Is there a 5.1 mix on that one also?

Anyone know if the Jane Monheit In the Sun is really a dualdisc with a surround side? Amazon shows a listing for it but I have only read here of three dual discs with surround, never this title before.

Definitely full DVD Audio on the DVD side:

5.1 96/24 PPCM
2.0 48/24 PPCM
5.1 DD
2.0 DD

Are any of the Jane Monheit discs discrete at all? I have two of them (Come Dream With Me and Never Never Land) and while the fidelity is good they just sound like unwrap jobs. Her voice is great and I was really hoping for some discrete voice and instrument placement.

Back