Silverline DVD-As...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question. I have the stand alone DVDA of Dream with Me and; as you stated; its not overly discreet. I also have the dualdisc of In the Sun; but its still in shrinkwrap!

I realize that discrete and HiRez are two different things and dont always coincide. Its up to the remixer to place the instruments. It will be disappointing if after I get these I end up with wide stereo. I'll find out soon. one seller confirmed it is the dual disc I'm getting at least.

So, I am still wondering about that other Monheit dual disc, Season, with christmas songs. Anyone here heard it? Does it have a 5.1 mix?

$_57.jpg

'Enhanced Stereo' only, according to the back cover.

Thanks, SteelyDave!

A waste of course. Sometimes there are extras that make these worth buying. There is a Fiona Apple dualdisc that has live performances, videos, interviews etc that make it worthwhile for a fan. But enhanced stereo? I could never hear any difference.
Now if they offered stereo without any brickwalling, that would interest me.

Agreed. The enhanced stereo dual discs rarely offer much, unless they have videos, documentaries, etc. As you know, finding those that have true lossless surround can be greatly worth your time. There are several threads here at QQ outlining the best of the rest.

Ok, very interested in these Silverline DVD-A's. I bought two from Amazon. They have a whole series called "From The Front Row, Live". They range in price from $5.00-$25.00. The two I bought for 5 bucks each where Mountain and Elvin Bishop. They sound like crap, either the DVD or the DD choice in 5.1. The bummer is I can tell the music is good, especially the Elvin Bishop.
I was told that the stereo is good, but on the two discs I have the menu only offers two 5.1 choices, no stereo choice.
Any hints to listening to stereo without going deep into my rig and resetting for stereo only, too much hassle for me.

Ok, very interested in these Silverline DVD-A's. I bought two from Amazon. They have a whole series called "From The Front Row, Live". They range in price from $5.00-$25.00. The two I bought for 5 bucks each where Mountain and Elvin Bishop. They sound like crap, either the DVD or the DD choice in 5.1. The bummer is I can tell the music is good, especially the Elvin Bishop.
I was told that the stereo is good, but on the two discs I have the menu only offers two 5.1 choices, no stereo choice.
Any hints to listening to stereo without going deep into my rig and resetting for stereo only, too much hassle for me.

Here ya go Marpow.........Silverline Winners

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-Winners-amp-Losers&highlight=best+silverline

Also those do not throw away those Front Rows - they are not a total waste - if the original cases are fine, you can use them as replacement cases for broken dvd-a cases you might have or come across along the way. They are the original cases that fit the original dvd-as

I know you can find some new front row dvd-as sometimes for as low as like 1.00 plus 2.99 shipping each - Remember about a year ago buying like 5 to 7 of them and shipping went down to 1.99 a piece.......used them to replace broken or damaged cases...........there is an art to getting the broken case art work out, but it's pretty easy just gotta be careful. :banana:

Here ya go Marpow.........Silverline Winners

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-Winners-amp-Losers&highlight=best+silverline

Also those do not throw away those Front Rows - they are not a total waste - if the original cases are fine, you can use them as replacement cases for broken dvd-a cases you might have or come across along the way. They are the original cases that fit the original dvd-as

I know you can find some new front row dvd-as sometimes for as low as like 1.00 plus 2.99 shipping each - Remember about a year ago buying like 5 to 7 of them and shipping went down to 1.99 a piece.......used them to replace broken or damaged cases...........there is an art to getting the broken case art work out, but it's pretty easy just gotta be careful. :banana:

Yo, Snood, I just paid $1.49 for blank replacement DVD~A cases from Acoustic Sounds (shipping was free......well, not really....I had to spend buck bucks to get it....but in all fairness, a LOT of those Front Row discs do sound great in Stereo...and are 96/24.......Pat Benatar and Gerry Rafferty come to mind. And yes, a lot of them are just pure crap. And that list was compiled in 2005 and there are some pretty stellar Silverline titles than came out afterwards and are really among some of my favorite DVD~As....and ARE fully discrete!

You don't want to mix down to stereo anyway, just disconnected the rears and the centre speaker be it physically or switching off in the AV amp. Or if you've got analogue out as well as HDMI just take an analogue feed for front left & right and connect to another input. That would strip the processed extra channels (so long as the analogue out isn't set to mixdown).

Back