Luis Miguel, Romances dvd-a

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbazul

Hi everyone.
I’ve searched comments int this forum about this dvd-a with no success. So I’ll post my comments here. First this is latinamerican music so maybe this is the reason why it’s not here. It’s not pop music even when Luis Miguel is considered as a pop artist, Romances is a compilation of boleros, a style of latin music that was very common in the 50’s and 60’s. The arragements are really impressive and the voice of this man really suites well with them. I’m not a fan, in fact I bought it because it’s one of the very scarce spanish dvd-a out there. I give the music a 9, it’s not my style but I recognize it’s a good example of old music with a fresh interpretation. By the way, Luis Miguel made 4 or 5 bolero albums as I recall, a good formula in those years (91-97) … a huge success.

Ok, here’s the main point. The sound. Here we have the same issue as Natalie Merchant’s Tigerlily, it is supposed to include high resolution stereo (96/24) but it doesn’t!! You’ll find just the multichannel high resolution version (96/24) and a few extras (1 video, discography and biography). I was really frustrated when I realized about this issue. Even when I buy sacd’s and dvd-a because of the multichannel mixes, I enjoy the stereo versions too.

This disc will have all the strength in the front but rears are well used: the strings are glorious here, the sense of space and immersion is just amazing. Some drums and guitars come from the rears. I often go for the aggressive mixes as I really enjoy them, but in this case the music and the static mix is really good for me. Not zig zag sounds but very well placed. The voice is always in the center, right and left channels. Fidelity is ok IMO. So I give it an 8. It would be better to hear some chorus in the rears and maybe a more discrete mix. The issue of not having stereo mix costs a point here.

Any comments anyone? :rolleyes:

I'm sorry and perhaps this is off-topic....

Why aren't there more Latin, pop or otherwise, on hi-rez?

The only "Hispanic" DD/DTS DVD I have is
Julieta Venegas "Limón y Sal" - I LOVE the woman...

Regarding Luis Miguel's DVD... I tend to make it a moral point not to purchase any products from celebrities I know firsthand are assh*les, and he's a big one, sorry, he may have a great voice, but he's not getting my $1 royalty...

I enjoyed Luis Miguel's DVD-A, but, I thought that it was recorded at 48khz.
In regards of other latin DVD-As, I only know about Mana's 'Unplugged' and 'Suenos Liquidos'.

Regarding Luis Miguel's DVD... I tend to make it a moral point not to purchase any products from celebrities I know firsthand are assh*les, and he's a big one, sorry, he may have a great voice, but he's not getting my $1 royalty...

Well I understand your point but this time it was the only dvd-a in spanish I could grab so I just did it.

I'd add the following to the surroundsound spanish list:
Buenavista Social Club (dvd-a)
La Oreja de Van Gogh, Dile al Sol (SACD)
La Oreja de Van Gogh, El Viaje Copperpot (SACD)
La Oreja de Van Gogh, Lo que te conté mientras te hacías la dormida (SACD)
Reily, Fé (DD 5.1 Dual Disc)
Sin Bandera, Mañana (DD 5.1 Dual Disc)
Alejandro Fernández, Viento a Favor (DD 5.1 Dual Disc)

By the way, I don't have any of them. I have Julieta Venegas "Limon y Sal" wich I really like it and I would like to have the Buenavista dvd-a but it's almost impossible to find nowadays.

:)

Hey I forgot to mention in the list one of my fave SACD!!
Gotan Project, La Revancha del Tango (hybrid SACD). A great album, not amazing multichannel mix but a decent one. For collectors is a must have.

And I fogot too one SACD:
Ricky Martin, Sound Loaded (Stereo SACD). It includes tracks in english and spanish. I pass over it, just to complete the list ;)

I know we're headed off-topic but I like where this thread has gone! I know practically nothing about latin music but my wife loves it, so I have tried to track down surround discs that sound promising. Thanks for the new leads!

My favorite latin disc hasn't been mentioned yet:
ROMERO: Un Segundo Una Vida (MCH SACD)
Flamenco music, lots of acoustic guitar and percussion and lots of energy. Roughly half the tracks are vocal and half instrumental. The mix is a highlight, very discrete and even playful at times. Highly recommended.

Romero has another MCH SACD out as well, "Live at Trinity Church," but I don't have it yet. Think I read somewhere that it was more of an ambient mix.

Mark Z

may I add Eros Ramazzotti 'Calma Aparente', DD and DTS 5.1. The mix is very aggresive, with percussion, guitars and strings coming from the rears.

Well I understand your point but this time it was the only dvd-a in spanish I could grab so I just did it.

I'd add the following to the surroundsound spanish list:
Buenavista Social Club (dvd-a)
La Oreja de Van Gogh, Dile al Sol (SACD)
La Oreja de Van Gogh, El Viaje Copperpot (SACD)
La Oreja de Van Gogh, Lo que te conté mientras te hacías la dormida (SACD)

By the way, I don't have any of them. I have Julieta Venegas "Limon y Sal" wich I really like it and I would like to have the Buenavista dvd-a but it's almost impossible to find nowadays.

:)

Except for BVSC, I have never seen these listed anywhere before. Maybe because they're not in English.
Anyway, where can I buy them now??

Except for BVSC, I have never seen these listed anywhere before. Maybe because they're not in English.
Anyway, where can I buy them now??

I saw all three La Oreja de Van Gogh SACD's in a webstore some months ago, but I don't like their music so I passed by. Now I don't remember the web address.:confused:

The rest of them:
I have seen them in a local store here in Mexico City, but not on the web.

:( Sorry, I know I'm not helpfull, unless you want me to buy them and send them to you.

Wow - Listed on sa-cd.net, but none anywhere to be seen on any of the Amazons...:yikes

ps. what do you think of the surround mix on the Natalie Cole SACD? (I see its your latest avatar!).

I finally got this the other week and after one quick play through I can say its pretty nice and on a par with the other Verve titles I have on Hybrid Surround SACD (the Diana Kralls, Shirley Horn, Aaron Neville, David Sanborn, Herbie Hancock, Jamie Cullum, Joe Henderson) several of which are stunning and the rest very good to great.

ps. what do you think of the surround mix on the Natalie Cole SACD? (I see its your latest avatar!).

I finally got this the other week and after one quick play through I can say its pretty nice and on a par with the other Verve titles I have on Hybrid Surround SACD (the Diana Kralls, Shirley Horn, Aaron Neville, David Sanborn, Herbie Hancock, Jamie Cullum, Joe Henderson) several of which are stunning and the rest very good to great.

Good - but a bit tame mix wise... Excellent sonics - as expected for Verve titles... I've got it on loan from my bro..... interersting to note that it was recorded by Al Schmitt & Elliot Schiener (y), but mixed in surround by Al Schmitt (n)...

I wish Elliot mixed it...

Good - but a bit tame mix wise... Excellent sonics - as expected for Verve titles... I've got it on loan from my bro..... interersting to note that it was recorded by Al Schmitt & Elliot Schiener (y), but mixed in surround by Al Schmitt (n)...

I wish Elliot mixed it...

oh yes, if only ES mixed it! it certainly isn't the most adventurous surround mix you're right.. the Shirley Horn, Joe Henderson and this Natalie Cole have the least exciting surround mixes of the surround Verves.. but at least they do all sound amazing! The rest of them are all fantastic surround mixes, love 'em!

finally got around to buying this DVDA (resisted for the longest time, just not my cup of tea musically) but sonically and mix-wise its superb! very very well-recorded and the surround mix isn't just double stereo or ambience (which is what I was dreading!). one noteworthy thing, the surround mix, unusually, has no reverbed ambient lead vocals added to the rear channels, all you get back there is instrumentation (percussion, strings, etc). Nice surprise! is there a QQ Poll for this?

Another spanish dualdisc,

Reik: Secuencia - DualDisc (DD 5.1 & PCM Stereo) Love it!!!

How's the quality mix of Alejandro Fernandez: Viento a Favor DualDisc?

Thanks

Regards,

Another spanish dualdisc,

Reik: Secuencia - DualDisc (DD 5.1 & PCM Stereo) Love it!!!

How's the quality mix of Alejandro Fernandez: Viento a Favor DualDisc?

Thanks

Regards,

do you have UPC info for the Alejandro Fernandez DualDisc?

(I can only find a CD/DVD package for that album which doesn't appear to include a 5.1 album mix.)

thanks in advance :)

Back