Help!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daved64

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Someone (Guy, maybe?) please tell me what this guy is talking about? It's from a review of the 45a at audioreview.com. I use the LFE output to my sub.

So far this is the only player at this price point that appears to do it all. Both DVD-A and SACD performance are above average. Video performance is a little on the soft side in both de-interlaced and progressive modes. Set-up is user friendly and the manual is written well. Now for the down side. The bass management does work for both DVD-A and SACD, however, is limited. If you set the fronts to large you will only get LFE info in the subwoofer. What does this mean..for releases that don't have an LFE track..you will get nothing in the subwoofer!

Anybody?

Picked this up from another thread in the forum,if when setting your speaker type you select large for your front spkrs then playing a stereo cd will result in all bass going to the stereo pair with no subwoofer out, if you select small and have subwoofer on bass management will send lower bass to subwoofer.

I'm not sure how the guy who wrote this article would expect it to work. Of course yoiu get the LFE information if something is programmed into the LFE. To explain it simply, if you set your speakers to large whatever speaker is set to large will retain the bass that was mixed into it. Whatever speakers you have set to small will shunt the bass below 100 hz into the subwoofer and filter everything 100 hz down from that speaker. To me this is the way that bass management is supposed to work. So for instance if you set the center and fronts to large and the surrounds to small the bass below 100 hz originally mixed to the front 3 speakers will retain the bass below 100 hz and the surrounds will only get to 100 hz and the rest of their bottom end will be funnelled to the subwoofer. The subwoofer will also get the bass that was originally mixed into the LFE channel.

And this unit is actually more flexible than some of the others. It appears that you can set the surrounds independant of the centre channel. In some bass mangement once you have set the center to small the surrounds automatically change to small and vice-versa. With stereo I don't use the stereo analog, in fact I only have an optical cable and the 6 multichannel analog outputs in use on my player (not sure at this point why I have the optical at all as I use all the decoders in the player for everything). This means that when you play a stereo SACD you can set your fronts to small and the bass below 100 hz for those speakers will get funnelled into the subwoofer. This is good if your speakers sound a bit bass-shy with stereo material. I don't listen to much stereo material currently. The Stones SACD's are the only things like this and I haven't listened to (or bought) a regular CD in over 6 months.

One other thing that you should be aware of is that if you start to fool around with the speaker level controls (not distance but levels) the bass is decreased quite a bit unless you boost it back up. There is an automatic 10db boost in the bass that is overridden when you change any of the settings for any of the speakers from 0 db's. So if you do this you should also set the subwoofer for plus 10 in the level control for that speaker to get it back to the "normal" setting. I didn't need to fudge with these so my bass is okay.

Back