Blu-Ray Disc-Audio continues with The Pixies

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got this from A+R:

Dear A+R Customer,

Thank you for your order of Pixies: Minotaur. We are writing to inform you that due to a delay in production, your order of Pixies: Minotaur will now ship on or before November 6, 2009. While we regret this delay, it is necessary to ensure that we release the highest quality collection possible, which we are confident will be one of the most impressive sets to date. If your address will be changing before November 6th, please let us know and we will update your address in our records.

I ordered mine from cdwow.com.au and they have listed their release date as being November 11. I really hope this doesn't end up getting perpetually delayed. I think this was originally meant to be released in June.

Well, I missed the FedEx guy yesterday. So the package was delivered to my building but is now locked in the office until Monday. I can see the box through the window but can't get to it! How frustrating is that?? Also, I have plans tomorrow night, so won't get to road test it until Tuesday. Argh!!!

So, has anyone actually received their copy and played at least one of the discs in surround sound? I'm just curious to hear any first impressions :)

I don't want to unsettle those who already ordered this box, but it seems that the dvds are only dvd-v (not dvd-a) and the best format on them is dts. I got that from a thread over at Steve Hoffman:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=180802&page=5

(post 97 and following)

and those pictures:

http://gallery.me.com/shffl#100015/MINOTAURDVD18&bgcolor=black

http://gallery.me.com/shffl#100015/MINOTAUR095&bgcolor=black

http://gallery.me.com/shffl#100015/MINOTAUR096&bgcolor=black

The screenshot of the dvd-menu could be taken on a dvd-v-only player, but only two discs for all albums and video material doesn't sound like high-rez to me.

But maybe you think that high-rez is overkill anyway or went blu-ray long ago, so this won't bother you. At least I would be quite pissed off.

But maybe I'm completely wrong...

Well, I've got it, unboxed and...the good news: no damage to the package or scratches on the discs. The bad news: I think the 5.1 mixes are fake! Not discrete at all. Vocals not isolated in the center channel but rather panned to the center. Terrible reverb of (what seems to be) the entire mix in the rear channels on every song and every album. Also lacking any bass punch. Had to crank the subwoofer. I'll wait to see what others have to say. But so far, I'm unimpressed. Bummer...

Lizard also came today. I'm hoping that cheers me up.

So sorry to read this review...I went ahead and cancelled my order...maybe I'll buy it used, we'll see what others have to say.

:eek:

Well, I've got it, unboxed and...the good news: no damage to the package or scratches on the discs. The bad news: I think the 5.1 mixes are fake! Not discrete at all. Vocals not isolated in the center channel but rather panned to the center. Terrible reverb of (what seems to be) the entire mix in the rear channels on every song and every album. Also lacking any bass punch. Had to crank the subwoofer. I'll wait to see what others have to say. But so far, I'm unimpressed. Bummer...

I should also mention that I've been listening to the DVD-V in DTS. I don't have a Blu-ray player just yet. All the albums are contained on one single DVD-V with an option for DTS or Dolby 5.1. It is NOT a DVD-A, as speculated.

Last edited:
All the albums are contained on on single DVD-V with an option for DTS or Dolby 5.1. It is NOT a DVD-A, as speculated.

I'm really sorry to hear that and can imagine your disappointment. I guess I would think about returning it. After all it still says on the A+R Site:

Includes all five Pixies' studio albums (Come on Pilgrim, Surfer Rosa, Doolittle, Bossanova, and Trompe le Monde) in the following formats: 24k gold plated CD's; five 12" - 180 gram virgin vinyl LP's cut from the original analog tapes; Blu-ray audio mastered for 5.1 surround sound and 2 channel stereo at 24/192; DVD mastered for 5.1 surround sound and 2 channel stereo at 24/96. Also included is the previously unreleased Pixies 1991 live performance from Brixton, on both Blu-ray and DVD, mastered for 5.1 surround sound at 24/192 and 24/96, respectively. All discs are housed in a custom designed folio.

DTS is not 24/96 and Dolby 2.0 for stereo even less! And if I remember correctly the CDs are not remastered as well. So if you don't have a Blu-ray-Player, this package is nothing but nice to look at (it really is!), unless you ordered the vinyl-edition. I just bought all four albums a few weeks ago for 8 Euros a piece (mainly to keep me from ordering this set) and now I'm pretty glad I did.

Thanks, for the early report on this and that is in did a bummer as to what you have reported about the surround. Does it say any where as to who did the surround for this release or is it in deed a fake surround as the stereo versions for this was not supposed to be remastered so just guessing here but maybe they invested everything into the extra artwork for this release and didn't spend much money on the music.

What about the concert they included with this, how is that?

peter

I hate to say this, but Pixies are not exactly a band that scream "surround potential" to me. Can those who own it at least comment on the overall soundfield of the 5.1? I can't imagine there would be a whole lot of discreetness to these discs, although four full corner channels of just guitar fuzz could be awesome.

I hate to say this, but Pixies are not exactly a band that scream "surround potential" to me. Can those who own it at least comment on the overall soundfield of the 5.1? I can't imagine there would be a whole lot of discreetness to these discs, although four full corner channels of just guitar fuzz could be awesome.

I agree and considered this at first. I guess I took it for granted that it would be a discrete 5.1 mix when I first saw the listing for it. I assumed they would have to use the stems and remix for surround. I guess I've learned a lesson the hard way.

These mixes are pitiful. It's not even fuzz coming from four channels. It's echo and reverb from the stereo mix.

Last edited:
Arrgggggghhhhhhhhhhh. This makes me feel ill for those who purchased with confident anticipation. After all the recent great 5.1's released. Thanks.

My copy has not been posted yet since I ordered it through a store other than AIR. My main reason for purchasing this set was for the Blu-ray, but I also want the CD versions for playing in the car etc. I have never owned any of their albums so I am not doubling up in any way with any of the content. I am sorry to hear that those who purchased for the DVD are so disappointed. I am now expecting a fake surround mix which is unfortunate, but I am still hopeful that the Blu-ray versions will be hi-rez and that will make the purchase worth it for me.

Now I just wonder how long it will be before I actually get my copy...

I'm really sorry to hear that and can imagine your disappointment. I guess I would think about returning it. After all it still says on the A+R Site:

Includes all five Pixies' studio albums (Come on Pilgrim, Surfer Rosa, Doolittle, Bossanova, and Trompe le Monde) in the following formats: 24k gold plated CD's; five 12" - 180 gram virgin vinyl LP's cut from the original analog tapes; Blu-ray audio mastered for 5.1 surround sound and 2 channel stereo at 24/192; DVD mastered for 5.1 surround sound and 2 channel stereo at 24/96. Also included is the previously unreleased Pixies 1991 live performance from Brixton, on both Blu-ray and DVD, mastered for 5.1 surround sound at 24/192 and 24/96, respectively. All discs are housed in a custom designed folio.

DTS is not 24/96 and Dolby 2.0 for stereo even less! And if I remember correctly the CDs are not remastered as well. So if you don't have a Blu-ray-Player, this package is nothing but nice to look at (it really is!), unless you ordered the vinyl-edition. I just bought all four albums a few weeks ago for 8 Euros a piece (mainly to keep me from ordering this set) and now I'm pretty glad I did.

DTS can indeed be encoded at 24/96 for DVD-Video usage.
We do it all the time, as does our very own Bob Romano on his excellent reworkings of vintage Quad titles.
It is such a shame about this release though.
For the money being charged, that is really some serious money too - what is in these packages is a little on the tight side at best.

Back