Sony SACD Player hook up

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dougi

Hey guys is an SACD player sound similar to a DVD _ A player ?

I hooked up my Sony SACD player last night , got all 6 speakers working , but it just sounds like the same string of music coming out of all speakers.
Is the sound suppose to be more like DVD - A where certain instruments are placed in certain speakers ?
I don't think it is a problem with the player but more with my brain lol
Any comments would be appreciated.
I listened to Billy Joel " The Stranger " last night
Sounded very clean.

I have two Sony SACD players and they both default to 2 channel mode when you insert a new disk. You have to STOP the play mode and push the 2 Channel/Multichannel button on the player or the remote. You cannot do this while a disk is playing. It will take a few seconds, but the display will say multichannel if there is a MC disk in the tray. I hope that helps. Mike.

Thanks for that tip Mike
I did that last night.
But it did'nt seem to make a great difference in the way the music was delivered , as far as seperating parts of the sound from speaker to speaker. Still sounded like the same stuff coming from every speaker. No effects or certain instruments in certain speakers , just sound coming from all speakers. Now i'm sure that's not the way it is suppose to sound ...right ?
Even when I played Alan Parsons " On Air " it did'nt sound the same as it did on my DVD - A Player . And that is just a DTS Disc.
Guess I will have to review my hook ups.

Hmmmm, another obvious question then ... are you sure that the disk is multichannel. I know that I have seen some that have a "Multichannel" outer plastic sleeve, but only say "Stereo" on the back cover. The Aerosmith hits one is like that.

Can you select multichannel with the player? If it says it is in multichannel mode, then it must be playing MC through all 6 outputs. Sorry for the silly question, but that is very weird. Good luck, Mike.

Yep it is an M/C Disc , and yes it did go into M/C on the players front panel display.
OK upon checking the speaker test today on the machine with the use of my t.v i discovered that during the " Test Tone " that only my front right speker was able to emit a test tone. My center , two rears and my sub did'nt do squat.
I'll look at all my connections again tonight.
Oh and by the way your question was not stupid at all.
Do you get a tone from all your speakers in the " Tone Test " ?

Well after 30 minutes of playing with cables I finally got my SACD player to sound the way it should in multi channel;
And man i like that " Rear Channel Shift " feature that Sony has on this player for the rear surrounds.
Sounds Great !!!!!!

Back