What do I need for SACD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

CABAL

Since Dark Side of The Moon is coming out, I've been
forced to consider buying a SACD player. But I am at
a loss regarding HOW I'm supposed to connect it to the
amp. Is it a digital pathway(coax or optical), or are
we talking analog 6-channel? If so, do I need 6 cables
and line inputs on the amp? That'll be pricey in Tara Labs
cables:(

Thanks,

Nicholas

Yes, hi-rez SACD output is currently available only through the analog outputs of all players, be it stereo or multi-channel.

Thanks for the reply. I assume that DVD-A use a
digital cable. That sounds a lot easier. Is there any
Pink Floyd due on that format?

By the way, are there a second 5.1 track on a
SACD, so I can get the 5.1 'normal' sound on a
standard CD player?

Oh, and does Harman/Kardon have any plans of making
a SACD or DVD-A player?

Thanks,

Nicholas

Both SACD and DVD-A use analog outputs to the speakers for consumer players to address copy protection concerns of the record companies.

As for playback options, it can vary by disc. For example, on a Multichannel SACD, you also have a Stereo SACD mix and in on so-called Hybrid Discs there is also a Stereo CD layer, playable on CD equipment as well as SACD equipment.

Some are still holding out hope that Pink Floyd material will be available in DVD-A as well.

DVD-A is six analog outputs like SACD so far. The exception is Pioneer Elite and Denon flagships that accomplish all the interconnections between DVD & Receiver with FireWire cable (IEEE1394) This was recently approved and may catch on with realitically priced units someday.

No you cannot have 5.1 sound from CD unless you are talking about DTS encoded discs of which there were about 100 titles issued officially, and another 300+ discs UN-officially.

High Resolution 5.1 is going to be DVD-A or SACD. It should be noted that Sony touted the fact that SACDs would be hybrid (CD layer for today/SACD for tomorrow) BUT this is only true with 20% of the releases so far. Many are simply straight stereo SACD issues which irritates me to no end.

DVD-A is discussing a possible CD layer as well, but it may be too late for that now.

FYI - I own both formats and just want the music, regardless of the format it comes in.

timbre4

Actually, most of the SACD labels are releasing all of their discs in Hybrid format. The holdouts are Sony, Red Rose and Universal.

With more Hybrid SACD pressing lines coming in the weeks and months ahead, this will probably change - witness Sony's recent announcement that their Bob Dylan SACD Remastered Series will all be single inventory, Hybrid SACDs.

>>High Resolution 5.1 is going to be DVD-A or SACD. It should be noted that Sony touted the fact that SACDs would be hybrid (CD layer for today/SACD for tomorrow) BUT this is only true with 20% of the releases so far. Many are simply straight stereo SACD issues which irritates me to no end.

Back