Magenta-Seven DD 5.1 mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterzach

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
This is coming out to a limit of 2000 copies and has a DD 5.1 mix only as I got that verified in a email from tigermoth,"The 5.1 mix will not be DTS mix, just Dolby 5.1 mix. I can confirm that only the first 2000 will have the 5.1mix"

Its to bad it doesn't have at least Dts as well but I have ordered it any ways.

can be ordered from here:

http://www.magenta-web.com/

here's a review of album for those interested:

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/200426.html#seven

Hi Peter,

Yeah, I ordered it too. I've sent some inquiries to them in the past ever since Metamorphosis was released in DD 5.1 and it appears they haven't yet discovered that DTS is a minimum for music. Would it cost that much more to have a DTS option? Seems like a question for Neil...

Oh well, the music is excellent and I still believe in supporting the surround effort even if only in DD 5.1.

Down to 1998 copies left! ;)
Josh

Hi Peter,

Yeah, I ordered it too. I've sent some inquiries to them in the past ever since Metamorphosis was released in DD 5.1 and it appears they haven't yet discovered that DTS is a minimum for music. Would it cost that much more to have a DTS option? Seems like a question for Neil...

Oh well, the music is excellent and I still believe in supporting the surround effort even if only in DD 5.1.

Down to 1998 copies left! ;)
Josh

For a quantity of 2,000, it would be cost prohibitive to add DTS is my understanding. I wish they had done it in 96kHz/24-Bit DTS anyway, sold the release at a lower price and lost money, but that is just me. I have heard some really good Dolby Digital mixes so there is hope.

Chris

I've got one ordered as well. I really enjoyed the surround mix of Metamorphosis so am really looking forward to this one. Too bad they couldn't do dts, though.

K

For a quantity of 2,000, it would be cost prohibitive to add DTS is my understanding. I have heard some really good Dolby Digital mixes so there is hope.

I understand and I agree. A fantastic mix is a fantastic mix regardless of the format! I've heard some really lousy SACDs, regardless of the mix, so a higher-resolution format certainly isn't a guarantee of great fidelity, as we all know! :(

My copy showed up and I was able to listen to it this weekend. Rather a different experience from Metamorphosis where I had never heard the music (or really even the band) when it showed up. But I've had the cd of this and was familiar with the music and could just appreciate the surround mix. I think it's a great mix and really enjoyed it. Hope they keep going with releasing either the rest of their back catalog in surround or come up with a new album they could present to us in surround.

K

I have ordered Metamorpasis on the back of getting Seven, i have been impressed with teh mix shame its not DTS or MLP but hey its not bad surround and something completely new for me.

After listening to the stereo version of Seven and reading your comments about the surround mix, I decided to order them both.
So create an entries in the DTS & DD Surround Spotlight Discs section for Seven so I can tell you how I liked it :)

For those of you that have enjoyed this band's two surround releases so far, I see that there is another one coming. No reason to think it will be anything more than DD, but I still think both have been very good surround mixes. Their latest press release talks of the upcoming album and includes this bullet:

4. An exclusive Bonus DVD, which will include the whole album in glorious 5.1 surround sound, a Chameleon gallery and several promo and live studio videos.

Read about the project here:
http://web.me.com/robreed1/thechameleonproject/Chameleon_Project.html

K

For those of you that have enjoyed this band's two surround releases so far, I see that there is another one coming. No reason to think it will be anything more than DD, but I still think both have been very good surround mixes. Their latest press release talks of the upcoming album and includes this bullet:

4. An exclusive Bonus DVD, which will include the whole album in glorious 5.1 surround sound, a Chameleon gallery and several promo and live studio videos.

Read about the project here:
http://web.me.com/robreed1/thechameleonproject/Chameleon_Project.html

K

I received the set a few days ago and its really good. Songs are well done and the 5.1 mix makes good use of center and rears. Only DD, so sounds is sometimes a bit thin.

I got the new Chameleon disc from them and think it's another good release. I do agree with the comment about DD sounding pretty thin and it seems more noticeable on this disc than on some others. I can't complain though, as I think this is really a case of an artist just doing what he can to get the surround version out there. I think he just does the mix because he likes surround sound and I'm sure doesn't sell enough copies to pay for doing it. This artist is pretty obscure (at least in America) and it's pretty surprising that there is any surround mix at all. I think Prog fans would really enjoy this, but if I was suggesting one of their albums to someone who hasn't heard this band, I'd go with on of the others first (Metamorphosis or Seven). Anyone who enjoyed those would probably like this one as well. Personally, I hear more Yes sounding passages (particularly Steve Howe styling's) with this band than probably any other. They deserve more notice than they get.

K

Some time ago I contacted Magenta to congratulate them on the quality of the music and the 5.1 mix. Did ask them why not in DTS or lossless, their answer was that it is mostly a cost thing and that DD allowed more room for the video part. They may consider DTS for later projects though.

Just pulled the trigger on both Seven and the Chameleon disc...

Can't wait . Anyone know where to get the Metamorphosis disc?

Back