Technics Semiconductor cartridges

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolvkarsten

Seems Technics/Panasonic at least has had three variants, the EPC-450, the EPC-451 and the EPC-460. Does anyone here know more details about these semiconductor cartridges? Are for example all well suited to CD-4 playback?

RK

Hi Rolv,

Technically these had a "C" after the numeral designation too like EPC-450C etc. but a minor quibble.

There is at least one other and that is an EPC-450C-II which is the one I have. This cartridge is constructed just like the 451C whereas the original 450C is different and uses a different stylus.

The EPC-450C-II stylus (clear body) and the EPC-451C stylus (red body) are interchangeable and, in fact, I currently have a 451C stylus on my 450C-II. I don't know if there is any performance difference between the two.

I guess I can't speak to the other models because I haven't heard them but my 450C-II works very well for CD-4. Lots of detail. All of these were, of course designed specifically for CD-4 and the semiconductor feature was Panasonics big thing back then.

These cartridges require a DC voltage to operate, of course, and this is supplied by the preamp or demodulator through the same wires as the signals from the cartridge so there are no extra connections.

The two best known demodulators that feature a semiconductor selection are the Panasonic SE-405 and the Technics SH-400.

If you try to use a semiconductor cartridge with a standard demodulator without a MM - SC switch, there will be absolutely no signal from the cartridge.

Doug

Hi Doug
Thank you for clearing things up.
I am trying to get my hands on one of these, as I "only" have the JVC "standard" CD-4 cartridge.

Rolv-Karsten

Yeah,those prices are nuts. Even the old Panasonic ones on eBay are asking 2-3 hundred bucks but they don't usually sell.

I believe they could be a little more reasonable.

I really, really lucked out with my 450C-II. Some guy had an auction that had 4 old ceramic cartridges in it and a fifth cartridge. You couldn't tell what it was from the little list page picture. The auction title had "Panasonic" in it so I just looked out of curiosity. Sure enough, I could tell from the enlarged picture that it was an EPC quad cartridge and, despite his mistaken model number info, I deduced that it had to be a 451 or like.

I won the auction for 28 bucks and then right after that, somebody had an original stylus for a 451C and I got that for 15 bucks (no other bidders).

Since I already had an SE-405 and an SH-400, I was all set!

Let's just say that I am very grateful because it is fabulous!

Doug

Seems these Soundsmith's styli prices are not too bad. But you have to buy the cartridge and the preamp, and that will set you back thousands of dollars. Probably these strain gauge cartridges are comparably cheap to make, no precision coils, no hand labour.

Anyway, I will try to get my hands on an EPC-451C for example, but it should be possible to get one relatively cheap. There's one at ebay for USD 600. A little too much, I believe.

RK

I managed to get a SH-400 and two different Technics SGs. After cleaning the SH-400 all worked well.
Sounds quite good, and one can expect a better non-CD4 amplifier would improve stereo playbach with the SGs.

/RK

Sorry for the late response but I'm glad you got a semi conductor cartridge system up and operating. Some of those guys on Vinyl Engine have built preamps for these cartridges for 2 channel use.

Doug

Back