Nosound - A Sense Of Loss with 5.1 DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ge Someone

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
The new album of Italian band Nosound, A Sense Of Loss can now be pre-ordered and includes a DVD containing 5.1 surround and 24bit mixes of the album, video footage, picture gallery and more.
It is not mentioned if the 5.1 version will be DTS, DD or (gasp) MLP.

shipping from 12th October. More info in the Burning Shed.

Giancarlo Erra's Nosound create an original fusion of elements of progressive, ambient and post rock. The group has collaborated with Tim Bowness (no-man) on their previous album (lightdark).

The new album of Italian band Nosound, A Sense Of Loss can now be pre-ordered and includes a DVD containing 5.1 surround and 24bit mixes of the album, video footage, picture gallery and more.
It is not mentioned if the 5.1 version will be DTS, DD or (gasp) MLP.

shipping from 12th October. More info in the Burning Shed.

Giancarlo Erra's Nosound create an original fusion of elements of progressive, ambient and post rock. The group has collaborated with Tim Bowness (no-man) on their previous album (lightdark).

Order placed already i had ment to mention it I saw it and though in for a penny in for a pound, the price was not too bad, and what i have heard in the past has not been too bad. I think one of their songs was a free download on the burning shed website for a while.

Got a mail from Giancarlo, he was thinking about this:

Yes I'm thinking about remixing in 5.1 also Lightdark, not sure
about Sol29 as could be for me more difficult considering the
original starting material. I think that depending on the sales
of the new album we'll be able to ask Kscope for a new print of
Lighdark with 5.1 included...let me know how many would like it..
I have to say that mixing ASOL in 5.1 pointed out that everything
seems more clear in 5.1, in particular involving strings etc..

Giancarlo

Got a mail from Giancarlo, he was thinking about this:

Yes I'm thinking about remixing in 5.1 also Lightdark, not sure
about Sol29 as could be for me more difficult considering the
original starting material. I think that depending on the sales
of the new album we'll be able to ask Kscope for a new print of
Lighdark with 5.1 included...let me know how many would like it..
I have to say that mixing ASOL in 5.1 pointed out that everything
seems more clear in 5.1, in particular involving strings etc..

Giancarlo

I count as one who is interested !!

Hi all,

some other news about 5.1 Nosound new album A Sense Of Loss. There will be a normal stereo cd and a dvd with 24/48 Stereo, 5.1 DTS and 5.1 Dolby mixes, plus videos (with multi audio formats) and more. Release date for online orders is October 26th, in all stores 2nd November (a slight delay from original announced release date).
There is now also a FREE DOWNLOADABLE 5.1 DTS SURROUND (.wav) track, at http://www.thebenchmusic.com/nosound/ !
More previews, the new single video and other info are available at http://www.asenseofloss.com

It's great to see interest in this forum, always full of great and updated news and info. Thanks for interest and support!

It's great to see interest in this forum, always full of great and updated news and info. Thanks for interest and support!

Thank you Giancarlo, friday is the day for Burning Shed to send out the pre-orders, with signed postcard. Next re-working Lightdark in 5.1 ????
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

visit: www.hegophoto.pixyblog.com

Hi Hego, it's something I definitively want to do, and already spoke about with Kscope. I think part of this will depend on sales of new album, but by any mean I'll work next year on 5.1 mix reissue of Lightdark that's for sure!

The sample track, Constant Contrast, sounds like a can't-lose track for surround.

Based on that, I'll bite and pre-order.

Hi Hego, it's something I definitively want to do, and already spoke about with Kscope. I think part of this will depend on sales of new album, but by any mean I'll work next year on 5.1 mix reissue of Lightdark that's for sure!

count me in on that should it happen. I am looking forward to SoL first though. :)

I like what i have heard so far.:)

Hi all,

some other news about 5.1 Nosound new album A Sense Of Loss. There will be a normal stereo cd and a dvd with 24/48 Stereo, 5.1 DTS and 5.1 Dolby mixes, plus videos (with multi audio formats) and more. Release date for online orders is October 26th, in all stores 2nd November (a slight delay from original announced release date).
There is now also a FREE DOWNLOADABLE 5.1 DTS SURROUND (.wav) track, at http://www.thebenchmusic.com/nosound/ !
More previews, the new single video and other info are available at http://www.asenseofloss.com

I just listened to some of the sound samples and I like what I am hearing. It reminds me of artists like No-Man and David Sylvian.
I have done a preorder from amazon.ca as I am from Canada.

A question I have is why not a Dvda for this as No-Man and Steve Wilson solo were also on Kscope\Snapper and they were done with Dvda layer as well. I don't know how much you have checked this site out but most people here are big music fan's and we love Dvda's as the Dvda layer bring's out even more richness in the recording as Dvda being lossless you don't miss anything from the 5.1 or stereo mix. Dts is also good and way better than Dolby Digital and I am glad to see that there is at least a Dts layer for this recording.
Neil Wilkes has authored many of Steve Wilson's(No-Man,Porcupine Tree,solo) projects to Dvda and you might want to get in contact with him as he's the expert in getting these things done in Dvda & Dts and Neil is also a QQ member here.

peter

Hi Peter,

thanks for the advice and yes, I thought also about the audio dvd, but at the end I decided to go for the more standard single dvd-v, that's more compatible and is probably better for a first release, containing also some not audio content. I'd like to do a dvd-a with Lightdark but again it will depend, I tried anyway to have a good quality with 24/48 uncompressed PCM and the higher available DTS encoding, that I agree is so better than Dolby (included just for compatibility). Since all is produced, mixed, mastered for and authored by me and my company it was not a problem of gear or encoders, but just a choice for this first release and I agree I already know dvd-a will be probably the way for next ones!

Thanks and I hope you'll like the DTS 5.1 download and mixes.

Hi Peter,

thanks for the advice and yes, I thought also about the audio dvd, but at the end I decided to go for the more standard single dvd-v, that's more compatible and is probably better for a first release, containing also some not audio content. I'd like to do a dvd-a with Lightdark but again it will depend, I tried anyway to have a good quality with 24/48 uncompressed PCM and the higher available DTS encoding, that I agree is so better than Dolby (included just for compatibility). Since all is produced, mixed, mastered for and authored by me and my company it was not a problem of gear or encoders, but just a choice for this first release and I agree I already know dvd-a will be probably the way for next ones!

Thanks and I hope you'll like the DTS 5.1 download and mixes.

Giancarlo, glad to hear that you aren't ruling out Dvd Audio. I don't know about technical stuff but I guess you would have had to put it out on a dual layer disk if Dvd Audio layer would have been included. Anyways I hope you can do it for you next release and any future releases as well and I am looking forward to getting your new release(ASOL). I was listening to No Man-Schoolyard Ghosts last night to get in the mood and if the music and surround for ASOL is anything like that then this will be a real treat. The other thing that sounds good to me for this release is comment I read that new album is using sounds coming from more instruments(strings) that have been added over previous album. For others checking this thread look at a couple of quotes as follows for previous album-Lightdark:

'...This is very good material, and I think you are going in the right direction for sure...' Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) - 'Out of all the Porcupine Tree and No-Man influenced work we've received at Burning Shed, Nosound is very probably the best..' Tim Bowness (No-man) - '..it’s nearly perfect, either in recording quality and composing abilities, and what is more striking is the care and very elegant style for music details.' Rocklab - ' .. a fine art rock album.. tangible demonstration that there's art rather than simply prog.' Eclipsed - '..Nosound has its own sound, one that has made Sol29 one of the best of 2005.' StudioMLive

p.s. For Canadians or others if it makes sense ordering from here I see today that amazon.ca has the new album up for a great preorder price of 12.99, we have to wait a bit longer but this is a great deal.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002MSG5RU/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Listened to the album a few times now, a very pleasant surprise! The 6 songs are mostly in a slow tempo, with lots of keys and strings with a base of (acoustic) guitar.

Surround mix is well done. Drums are mostly in the fronts. Vocals are in center/front and are backed with the rears in the choruses. Some electric guitar and synth solos are in the rears. The strings are detailed, just like the piano parts that are in a few songs. All in all a nice disc. The DVD has some extras, like a longer take of Fading Silently, with extra guitar solos. Also included is a video and making of. When you like Pink Floyd's Shine On and Us&Them, or No Man, you may also like this album.

Only one thing about the dvd, I do not see any running time in my display, could be my player though.

This album gets a very favourable review in iO Pages, a Dutch language prog mag. So well done.

Back