Nosound - A Sense Of Loss with 5.1 DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robert van D.
Only one thing about the dvd, I do not see any running time in my display, could be my player though.

Nope also in my display

reviews, THE POSITIVE

http://www.prognaut.com/reviews/nosound2.html

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/200951.php#nosound

THE NEGATIVE

http://hangout.altsounds.com/reviews/112100-nosound-a-sense-of-loss-album.html

The perfect album for this season, the mix is wel done and clear. Best track for the moment is, Some Warmth Into This Chill. but the whole cd has to grow. The orchestra parts is well done. Keep on going with the good work Giancarlo

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Agree with robert completely.

I downloaded and listened to the sample "fading silently", and the music is beautiful. All in all, I might want to see a more agressive mix re the rears, but it's very well done, I'll be getting this disc.
(y)

I purchased this through the Burning Shed site and nowhere on any of the sites including the Nosound direct site is PAL or NTSC mentioned. I figured since I was ordering via the US link on Burning Shed that it would mention if it was PAL - that would suck! Will find out soon enough - should have it early this week and will post back.

My copy arrived on Friday with the autographed postcard.
I ordered via Burning shed, my copy was PAL. No mention anywhere on disc or booklet if PAL or NTSC.
Plays fine on my Oppo 980H using HDMI video output. 5.1 audio plays fine on my non-PAL compatible setup.
I like the music and the mix.

vinylguy4

The original video content was shooted in Full HD Pal, and considering contents of the dvd (mainly audio) we decided to avoid doing too many conversions to preserve quality. The dvd is playable on all regions and easily on any computer or modern digital system, and apart from a footage 'recording of' all the other contents are available from internet also on HD video from Vimeo or Youtube (check official website www.nosound.net).

Authoring was done so that you can avoid at all looking at the video, just put it on and play sequentially from first to last track (or skipping between them), choosing audio: ch 1 is dolby, ch 2 is dts, ch 3 is stereo 24/48. We knew about Ntsc and we'll address this next time, but the real content of the dvd is the audio part and you can easily play this (or all the other stuff) quite easily anyway. Thanks for your understanding and for the nice comments, really appreciated.

G

Thanks for making a 5.1 mix and also thanks for joining our forum!

My copy arrived just as I had to fly to Las Vegas, so I'm importing the stereo version into iTunes now to listen until I get home and play DTS 5.1 version.

Beautiful packaging as well, my compliments on the design.

The original video content was shooted in Full HD Pal, and considering contents of the dvd (mainly audio) we decided to avoid doing too many conversions to preserve quality. The dvd is playable on all regions and easily on any computer or modern digital system, and apart from a footage 'recording of' all the other contents are available from internet also on HD video from Vimeo or Youtube (check official website www.nosound.net).

Authoring was done so that you can avoid at all looking at the video, just put it on and play sequentially from first to last track (or skipping between them), choosing audio: ch 1 is dolby, ch 2 is dts, ch 3 is stereo 24/48. We knew about Ntsc and we'll address this next time, but the real content of the dvd is the audio part and you can easily play this (or all the other stuff) quite easily anyway. Thanks for your understanding and for the nice comments, really appreciated.

G

First, let me echo others here on this forum in saying thanks for keeping the surround flame going and for your direct participation. Unfortunately, as this disc is configured as a PAL DVD, it will not play on any of my DVD or Blu Ray players as they are NTSC only. My computer can read the disc - though it is not really set-up for the surround experience I typically enjoy on my home theater. I would venture to guess that most of here in the US will be unable to play this disc unless of course you have a PAL capable player. It would have been best if KScope or Burning Shed had indicated this on their site (especially the US site) prior to accepting my order. As returning this disc overseas is not really a viable option, I will go through the process of extracting the 5.1 DTS stream and convert it to DVD-Audio - not an ideal solution but the only one I have.

Apologies in advance if for some reason I am mistaken in all this - if someone can play this disc on their NTSC only players -please advise as to how I can access the content.

Hi,

I'm usually able to play pal on my ntsc only two dvd players (one portable one desktop), and the same was with this disc. About audio there's no difference so you should be able to play the audio from them without problems (sorry if you're having problems, I really think that real 'content' is the audio instead of video and being a bonus disc it's why there was no notice about the video format I think). Hope you'll be able to play the audio and enjoy it anyway.

G

Hi,

I'm usually able to play pal on my ntsc only two dvd players (one portable one desktop), and the same was with this disc. About audio there's no difference so you should be able to play the audio from them without problems (sorry if you're having problems, I really think that real 'content' is the audio instead of video and being a bonus disc it's why there was no notice about the video format I think). Hope you'll be able to play the audio and enjoy it anyway.

G

nope - can't access anything - NTSC player won't recognize the disc because it is formatted as PAL

Correction - my Pioneer 563A will play the disc :eek:. Very surprised as neither my Toshiba HD DVD (A30) nor Sony Blu Ray (BDP 350) would even recognize the disc - in every other instance they are the far superior players for DVD-V. Still it indicates a potential compatibility problem for other players - and I hope that is not the case. Well at least I can now get to hearing this in proper form.

I did convert this to 96/24 DVD Audio via my DVD audio extractor and Circlina HD Audio programs and am happy to report that the first few bits sound great from a surround perspective - looking forward to more critical listening later.

Yep, the Oppo BDP-83 plays the Nosound disc just fine. My system video monitor is PAL compatible so it had no problems with the video display. My old RCA NTSC TV set had no problems with the scan rate, but it could not display the color information. The music is generally good, but it suffers a sort of sameness from one song to the next. The sound quality and the surround mix were good. The disc came with an autographed card that was a photo of the album cover. But that's good to know that PAL isn't a problem for my player.

Hi Beached and all,

thanks for your nice replies, I'm happy to see there's still some interest for 'artisty' stuff with surround type mixes and high quality audio. Yes next time the dvd-audio will be in the list for the dedicated audio part for sure. There are plans for some more 5.1 release next year..as soon as confirmed all our website/pages will be updated. I hope still some 5.1 lover will discover the new release and will share his thoughts, maybe using the free DTS download as a preview...it seems it got lots of attention and downloads. Maybe the DTS .wav is not dead or relegated to illegal downloads?

G

Hi Robert no at the moment the cd/dvd is always the same. When that one will be out of print probably we'll just replace the cd version with the new master but the DVD will remain the same I think :)

Back