HiRez Poll King Crimson - Red [DVD-Audio/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - RED

• Total voters
OK - just got my copy of RED today. Probably I'm a little biased....I knew it would sound good. That being said, the very first song (RED)....just didn't have the impact that other Crimson songs had on my other Crimson discs. I was a little worried.....

Then Fallen Angel came on and brought back my faith. From that song forward....whoa. Like all Steven Wilson mixes for Crimson.....this one is very excellent. I'm gonna vote 9. Is it 9.5? Not sure. 9 it is. (I have since listened to another title from another artist.....so I now call RED a 9 solid)

Love it.

Why doesn't this thing go to 11??

Gave it a 10!!!

Best Of them all!!!! Was blown away about how much heavier this was. Loved It.............had a smile on me face after it was over. :51banana:

Gave it a 10!!!

Best Of them all!!!! Was blown away about how much heavier this was. Loved It.............had a smile on me face after it was over. :51banana:

Yay! So glad Snood loves this album! It's also one of my favorites and represented the peak abilities of the mid-70s Crimson lineup in the studio. Even the off-the-cuff improv of "Providence" comes off frighteningly well in surround sound. This along with "In the Court of the Crimson King" was what told me that Steven Wilson is a force that is here to stay concerning surround sound mixing.
Now if we could just get those other long-delayed 40th anniversary editions… ("Beat", "Three of a Perfect Pair", "THRAK")

the other day I was in my car playing an "I don't remember listening to this CD recently" from my iPod, when all of a sudden there was the roll and SNAP from BB and I went..."heeeeeeeyyyyy...isn't that from USA?"...and yes, it was "Asbury Park"!!!! Kewl!

Gave it a 10!!!

I was wondering how Red would hit you Snood after working your way up to it. It's the Crimson pinnacle for me. Heavy beauty!

I view this release as the one that sparked the new golden age of surround we've been enjoying. Not only was it the first KC surround title released I believe it was SW's first mix for an outside artist, yes? Nearly 6 years later it still sounds excellent. The mix may not be quite as showy as some other KC titles only because 'Red', on the whole, is sparser instrumentally. Musically it remains as fierce and gratifying as ever. 10

As a new King Crimson fan, I love this album. The sound quality is superb, as is the active surround mix. For some reason, at least on my system, the sound quality and mix on the song "Red" is not quite up to par with the rest of the album. With regards to music content, Fallen Angel and Starless are simply amazing... Unfortunately, Providence not so much for me. Overall an 8. I'm so grateful that at 45 years old, I still get to discover life-changing music!

I'm fairly new to Crimson but recently I've been buying all their DVD-A's to listen to in my Acura TL. This is my 4th Crimson disc and it's the one I don't want to take out of my dvd player, the music is so amazing I've been listening to it over and over for weeks. One of the best albums I've ever heard.

I voted a 4. I Was never a big King Crimson fan. I had hoped this disc would change my mind but it didn't. When you don't enjoy the music it is hard to evaluate the sound and surround qualities.

I voted a 4. I Was never a big King Crimson fan. I had hoped this disc would change my mind but it didn't. When you don't enjoy the music it is hard to evaluate the sound and surround qualities.

With respect, if you don't enjoy the music so that you find it hard to evaluate the sound and surround qualities, then you shouldn't really vote at all! The votes should be, in the main, on the sound and surround qualities, not what you think of the music.

I bought the original LP back in 1974. I played it, and for some reason, it didn't make it back to my turntable. My KC albums of choice were Lizard and Larks' Tongues In Aspic (something about the "L" titles). In 2009 I bought the SW surround mix along with Lizard and ITCOTCK. At that point in time I only was able to listen to the DTS surround played through my DVD player. It was like listening to it for the first time since I didn't remember any of these songs. When I heard the first song I thought to myself, "hey, this is a really good track". As each next song played I was getting more and more excited. :yikes When I heard Starless I was totally blown away. The mid-to-end section in 13/8 almost had me on the ceiling. How could I have let this album sit on the shelf all these years? What was wrong with me? :slap: Now I have an OPPO-103 and can listen to the MLP. Therefore I can now officially vote on this.

Providence, to me, is the weak link on this disk. I'm not a fan those type of improvisational tunes. That being said, if pushed I'd say it's a 9.5, but due to the other 4 tracks, and the superb surround mix, I gave it a 10. :upthumb

With respect, if you don't enjoy the music so that you find it hard to evaluate the sound and surround qualities, then you shouldn't really vote at all! The votes should be, in the main, on the sound and surround qualities, not what you think of the music.

The music is what we are primarily listening for and if I don't like it should I not be able to vote?

BTW it got a 4 because of the reason you stated. On music alone it would have gotten a 0.

I played it twice and then gave it away.

The music is what we are primarily listening for and if I don't like it should I not be able to vote?

BTW it got a 4 because of the reason you stated. On music alone it would have gotten a 0.

Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion. The administration and mods have put out guidelines on how to vote. If your honest opinion is that Red only deserves 4 points out of 10, that's great. It would be for the best to be as crystal clear as possible, in the event you are actually trying to be helpful to those considering a purchase. If you think the fidelity sucks, explain why. If you think the mix sucks explain why. Give the content a 0, fine, you don't like it at all. There are still 7 points to explain. Just know, that when virtually nobody agrees with you others could begin to discount your opinion.
You claim you can't give insight on fidelity or mix if you don't like music. Well, fine, who am I to say what your capabilities are. I, however, find it too easy to do so, so I don't understand where you're coming from there, if you're being sincere. If you truly can't make a judgement on mix and fidelity and the voting guidelines are that 6 points go to those categories, then, well, yeah, maybe you shouldn't vote on those albums.

Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion. The administration and mods have put out guidelines on how to vote. If your honest opinion is that Red only deserves 4 points out of 10, that's great. It would be for the best to be as crystal clear as possible, in the event you are actually trying to be helpful to those considering a purchase. If you think the fidelity sucks, explain why. If you think the mix sucks explain why. Give the content a 0, fine, you don't like it at all. There are still 7 points to explain. Just know, that when virtually nobody agrees with you others could begin to discount your opinion.
You claim you can't give insight on fidelity or mix if you don't like music. Well, fine, who am I to say what your capabilities are. I, however, find it too easy to do so, so I don't understand where you're coming from there, if you're being sincere. If you truly can't make a judgement on mix and fidelity and the voting guidelines are that 6 points go to those categories, then, well, yeah, maybe you shouldn't vote on those albums.

I consider an 8 to be a very good disc that I enjoy musically, sonically, and surround wise. I reserve 9 and 10 for those discs that are exceptional in any or all three of those categories. Maybe I should use 7 as my benchmark instead of 8 and then add 1 for sound quality, surround use, and musical content when they are exceptional.

I consider an 8 to be a very good disc that I enjoy musically, sonically, and surround wise. I reserve 9 and 10 for those discs that are exceptional in any or all three of those categories. Maybe I should use 7 as my benchmark instead of 8 and then add 1 for sound quality, surround use, and musical content when they are exceptional.

You can vote any way you want....but when something is just not to my liking at all..... I don't vote on that poll...check out the first post on THIS POLL....I refrained from voting on the Waters disc because it wouldn't be fair to other people interested in a possible purchase to give out a low score due to my personal tastes in music...in my rating system a 7 to 10 means I recommend the disc...anything less gets an explanation from me why I didn't like it...you are allowed to give any rating you want but if you keep giving scores that are outside the normal voting pattern people won't take your input seriously and it's a disservice to those that depend on the polls for insight into possible purchases..whatever you decide to do in the way of scoring.....PLEASE give an explanation why you gave your score because that is more important than the scores...because then people can decide if your concerns would matter to them...

You can vote any way you want....but when something is just not to my liking at all..... I don't vote on that poll...check out the first post on THIS POLL....I refrained from voting on the Waters disc because it wouldn't be fair to other people interested in a possible purchase to give out a low score due to my personal tastes in music......because then people can decide if your concerns would matter to them...
Hey hey hey..let's not be too hasty here...I understand a low vote...the thing is that there's a HUGE chance of hirez changing her/his opinion .....I could be wrong , it could take a loooooong time....;)

Back