HiRez Poll King Crimson - Red [DVD-Audio/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - RED

• Total voters
Just played this, and I have one question: where is the bass? At first I feared that the 5.1 was goofed up; however, I then played the CD, and the bass is quite light there as well. Has this been your experience as well, folks? Disappointing. I would have thought it would be thundrous.

I pulled out the mini lp that was released in the '90s, and there's not too much bass there. Hmm, still not happy. I wonder what the bass will be like for In the Court? Man, I bought the most biggest boxset.

According to the Official Website of The United States Postal Service....

My copy of Red arrived at my local station late yesterday afternoon, so fingers crossed, I should be RED sometime this afternoon [/giddy like an 8 year old girl]

:banana:

I gave it a 7.

It's one of my top 3 KC albums, but I was not very impressed by the surround mix. I don't think Red was an easy album to mix in surround, as it has always sound kind of "dry". I prefer it in stereo, it has more power.

However, the fidelity is outstanding, and you can tell it's a labor of love. A dream come true in high rez. THANKS...

RED_5_1sm.jpg

Yes precious, come to me.....

And now, if you will please excuse me, I am going to retreat to the Magnepan Cave and just bliss the hell out for a few hours.

Last edited:
Had a chance to put the DVD-A through its paces this weekend. RED never sounded so good! I listened to the LP during the week, before I got the disc, so I could recall how muddy the original mix was. All that is now gone. The percussion really shines in this new mix. And I love the way the way Fallen Angel comes swirling into the room as the final note of Red fades out. Very dynamic! And the ferocity of One More Red Nightmare...it's all great! Love the Trio mixes too.

I also think Neil should get a special thanks for the great job he's done and keeping us fans updated on the progress of this project. Cheers mate!

Just played this, and I have one question: where is the bass? At first I feared that the 5.1 was goofed up; however, I then played the CD, and the bass is quite light there as well. Has this been your experience as well, folks? Disappointing. I would have thought it would be thundrous.

Wetton plays a lot in the upper register and also uses a lot of fuzz tone, that takes out some of the heft. If you are unsure of the mix just listen for the kick drum. I have never heard such a well recorded kick drum. It's got weight and mass but sounds natural and is not overbearing. A too hot kick drum can be extremely annoying. This one is perfect. Sound is very good and well mixed all around. I will just say that in stereo 24/96 the vocals are not quite as liquidy and creamy as the sound on the Fleetwood Mac DVD-A, but close. I am sure it has more to do with how they were originally recorded. Percussion sound is amazing!

I am going to shelve my rant about how this is my least favorite of all the King Crimson albums (sent it to a pal instead just to get it off my chest). I will just say that I think the sound and mix is terrific, both surround and 2 channel and as far as I am concerned it is nothing but UP from here!
:banana:

Hello everybody.

It is my first post, but I was reading QQ pages as a guest for quite long time. From the other hand I am really great fan of King Crimson (this year I have 40th anniversary of being KC fan...), I have about 150 King Crimson discs.
The Red is superb. This disc was always one of my "must have" discs, but I have one problem to listen in hi-rez multichannel. I have a lot of SACDs and only several DVD-Audio. I wrote that I am King Crimson fan and I had to buy these new multichannel editions.
I cannot switch to hi-rez multichannel on my multiplayer (Denon 1400). The same situation is with some Porcupine Tree cds.
Somewhere Neil wrote that dvd-audio can have up to 9 groups. Red has 7 groups and in any I cannot find 5.1 hi-rez. When I am choosing "Advanced resolution multichannel" from menu I get only 2 channel stereo hi-rez. Changing the groups I can listen (for example) to bonus tracks in 5.1 hi-rez (amazing!!!, superb!!!)
I did not received Lizard nor ITCOTCK and I do not know how it works on other KC discs.
Maybe somebody knows how to solve this problem?

Hello everybody.

It is my first post, but I was reading QQ pages as a guest for quite long time. From the other hand I am really great fan of King Crimson (this year I have 40th anniversary of being KC fan...), I have about 150 King Crimson discs.
The Red is superb. This disc was always one of my "must have" discs, but I have one problem to listen in hi-rez multichannel. I have a lot of SACDs and only several DVD-Audio. I wrote that I am King Crimson fan and I had to buy these new multichannel editions.
I cannot switch to hi-rez multichannel on my multiplayer (Denon 1400). The same situation is with some Porcupine Tree cds.
Somewhere Neil wrote that dvd-audio can have up to 9 groups. Red has 7 groups and in any I cannot find 5.1 hi-rez. When I am choosing "Advanced resolution multichannel" from menu I get only 2 channel stereo hi-rez. Changing the groups I can listen (for example) to bonus tracks in 5.1 hi-rez (amazing!!!, superb!!!)
I did not received Lizard nor ITCOTCK and I do not know how it works on other KC discs.
Maybe somebody knows how to solve this problem?

How is your player hooked up please?
The 5.1 Multichannel High Rez is in group 1, and the only way you will get a stereo stream there is if the player is set to stereo instead of surround.
Additionally, there are certain players that have difficulty with the 16:9 formatting, although this applies to stereo as well as surround.

I have analogue connection (6 separate cables) to amplituner (Yamaha), so decoding takes place in the dvd player. The resolution of the transmitted signal and the bitrate can be only read on tv screen - on the ampli I have only information - "external decoder". All parameters in the player are set to multichannel and so on.
I will try with aspect ratio.:)

Unfortunately it did not help. Maybe something is wrong with my player.
Please tell me is it correct:
- In group 5 I have two audio to choose: 1st is 2ch PCM bonus tracks and 2nd is 5ch DTS
- In group 1 I have two audio: both are 2ch MLP.
How it should look like? The first audio 2ch and the second 5channel?
Thanks for your help.:)

Hmm, let's try a couple of things more: Please double-check that DVD-A preference is set to DVD-Audio (not DVD-Video) and also turn off digital output. That about ends the list of what could be wrong, I think. Oh, and I'm taking for granted that you're trying to playback the original disc and not a copy, right?

Of course all my CDs are original. I have found similar read already which ended with nothing:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7909&highlight=denon+1400
I will again double-check all prefences and it will end this discussion (not really proper for KC disc), even without solving the problem.
Returning to Red, I think the best part of this disc are bonus tracks. These new alternative mixes nad versions are really outstanding. Perfect job Steve. Chapeau-bas.

Unfortunately it did not help. Maybe something is wrong with my player.
Please tell me is it correct:
- In group 5 I have two audio to choose: 1st is 2ch PCM bonus tracks and 2nd is 5ch DTS
- In group 1 I have two audio: both are 2ch MLP.
How it should look like? The first audio 2ch and the second 5channel?
Thanks for your help.:)

Group 1 has 6 channel and 2 channel MLP. There is not even a downmix encoded into the 6-channel option, so I cannot understand the problem.
The group numbers are irrelevant. Group 1 contains the main album in MLP 5.1 & MLP 2.0, set as PGC Block authoring (this automatically allocates the correct stream for your player setup, so if your player is set to multichannel, then you get the 5.1 stream, but if set to stereo you get the 2-channel)
I am frankly mystified as to why you see 2 times 2 channel.....

Can you test on another player? I think there is something amiss with your machine, or else you somehow have dud copies (unlikely)

Group 1 has 6 channel and 2 channel MLP. There is not even a downmix encoded into the 6-channel option, so I cannot understand the problem.
The group numbers are irrelevant. Group 1 contains the main album in MLP 5.1 & MLP 2.0, set as PGC Block authoring (this automatically allocates the correct stream for your player setup, so if your player is set to multichannel, then you get the 5.1 stream, but if set to stereo you get the 2-channel)
I am frankly mystified as to why you see 2 times 2 channel.....

Can you test on another player? I think there is something amiss with your machine, or else you somehow have dud copies (unlikely)

Unfortunately not. I am pretty sure that something is wrong with my player. But I am really very happy to hear KC in multichannel, even only in DTS.

Finally received my copy from Amazon.

It's wonderful! What an awesome experience re-discovering Red in this package. Kudos to all involved in this endeavor, and looking forward to the rest of the catalog!

Back