HiRez Poll King Crimson - Red [DVD-Audio/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - RED

• Total voters
As to the 96/24 stereo issue, I think this one sounds better on my Denon 3910/Heed CanAmp/AKG 701 headphone rig than the CD. Not sure how that impacts the poster's question about transfering at 96/24 regarding the 40th remasters. Just what I hear.

I gave this album another listen last night (in 5.1 MLP Lossless) and I must say it really is growing on me :)

I still noticed the hiss on the "S"s with the vocals, but it sounds great regardless!!! Amazing use of surround and very interesting music.

thanks again for the recommendation, looking forward to ITCOTCK

This is one of my all time favourite albums...but hey I'm a KC fan.. I give it a 10. :cool:

I really like the trio versions of Red (pity it's not in 5.1) and Fallen Angel.

The extra video content is good too....

Starless is probably my favourite KC track, and even Providence, which I must admit I don't listen too much is now presented in a different light...

I must say that the 5.1 mixes are excellently done, being a big fan of
S_P_R_E_A_D_I_N_G
the drumset around the field , just with that , I was ecstatic!
As I said, it's a very simple sonic offer, but this music is better served with few trimmings, so , chapeaux!

Can't wait to get ITCOTKC...!
Or SABB, LTIA, Discipline, Beat, TOAPP, TCOL and TPTB.​

Well, the wife finally got over the flu and went back to the office today...with the house to myself I was able to crank it up and give this one the attention it deserves.

I've always loved this album and the 5.1 mix didn't disappoint in the slightest...awesome. The mix of Starless alone is worth the price of admission. The spreading of the drums and percussion all around the listening field works fantastically imho. Excellent job by Steven, Neil, Fripp and all the others involved.

I'm going to spin it again right after I have some lunch.

I've listened to this new edition many times now and it just keeps getting better. The surround mix is incredible and the overall quality is top notch. Add to this that the music itself, in my opinion, is KC's masterpiece, I'm one happy camper! This is my new reference disc and will be in heavy rotation for a long time to come.

I just want to mention that I am not that unhappy about the 24/48 surround. there is much more improvement in going from 16 bit to 24 bit than from going from 48 to 96 in my opinion. Stereo mix should also be wonderful. Now I have to decided if I want to cancel my order with Amazon and order from Burning Shed or if I should just sit and read about how wonderful these are.....

Some of Starless's alternate lyrics eventually ended up in the UK tune called 'Caesar's Palace Blues'.

Do recall which specifically? Curiousity peaked as it never jumped out at me.

I did see the 4 man UK perform Caesar's Palace Blues before the "divorce"...

EDIT: So gratified to see so many folks enjoying this fine release.

Last edited:

Cards fall, faces change, cat's cunning shows
Same rules still apply, either way you lose

You can hear Wetton sing these lyrics in "Starless' on some of the "Great Deceiver' box set live performances, recorded before Red was recorded. Eventually they were recycled for 'Caesar's Palace Blues'

I'd never listened to this album before until now. The 5.1 surround is great, and the music is different...it will grow on me. As usual with all the involved parties, there's plenty of extras and it's all well done. I can't wait to hear the rest when I get my greedy hands on them!

Cards fall, faces change, cat's cunning shows
Same rules still apply, either way you lose

You can hear Wetton sing these lyrics in "Starless' on some of the "Great Deceiver' box set live performances, recorded before Red was recorded. Eventually they were recycled for 'Caesar's Palace Blues'

Thanks! Did you put that together or was it written about somewhere?

I did see the 4 man UK perform Caesar's Palace Blues before the "divorce"...

EDIT: So gratified to see so many folks enjoying this fine release.

The trio version (post "divorce") was my first concert EVER-
Thanksgiving weekend 1979 (DANG!! that was THIRTY YEARS ago???...oops another UK song, hehehe)
in San Juan PR...
That was also the 1st concert for all of my age bracket cause I think most of the PR youth was packed in that Coliseo Roberto Clemente... you didn't even have to light a joint , just breathe in the air!!!

Funny how different the quartet version of "Ceasar's Palace Blues" was (slower and stodgier)-compared to the trio version

Unfortunately, I lost all respect for JWetton in a solo concert here in Madrid in 2000 , when he stormed off the stage after only 20 minutes (because some bartender was gathering glasses!) and never returned...frickin' diva..he had played "Battlelines" and I WAS going to buy it...but alas, ..nevermore
I admire a TROUPER- even if the place is falling down YOU KEEP PLAYING!

Oh , the thread!
Was CRANKING "RED" and it really sounds better louder!!!

Red is my first exposure to KC (that I recall), and all I can say is thanks to all involved in making it so beautiful. I'm on my 6th listen and it only gets better each time. Group 3 (as my car calls the bonus instrumental tracks) is spectacular too.

Amazon says they have (FINALLY) shipped Red, so (HOPEFULLY) maybe I can weigh in on this one sometime this week (POSSIBLY).

My local store got it in for me yesterday (though Court was delayed until next week, production ramping up!).....love the French TV bits and the mix. I had not heard this KC album but I think it may become one of my favorites.
Quite the honor for Neil, Jon & Bob on the credits. I was able to tell my wife, I know those guys! Well, kinda....... ;) John S.

Quite the honor for Neil, Jon & Bob on the credits. I was able to tell my wife, I know those guys! Well, kinda....... ;) John S.

John,

I feel exactly the same way!
Having a connection, no matter how small, is an honor.

You folks manage to fill my listening room with joy.

Thank You.:smokin

I have listened to this one enough times to vote. It's a 10. Can't imagine the sound quality and surround mix being any better than it is.

This one really grew on me, often displacing PT's new discs in my player. The sound quality is very good for the age of the recording and the mix is fine (I've always preferred Elliot Scheiner's more adventurous mixing - even on PT material). It's likely that I never would have heard this music if it weren't for this release, so a huge thank you to all involved! A solid 9 from me.

Seems the U.S. version comes in a cardboard slipcase with artwork. Does the European edition have the plastic sleeve? Anyway, finally got mine today in the U.S. Can't wait to have a thorough listen!

Back