HiRez Poll King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (2009) [DVD-Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of King Crimson - IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING

• Total voters
This was THE album that really got me interested and aware of the amazing possibilities of music mixed in 5.1 surround.
Having bought a King Crimson greatest hits in early 2009, once I found out that Steven Wilson was putting together 5.1 mixes of the King Crimson catalogue, I was immediately interested in "Red" and this album.
This mix is the best way to listen to "Moonchild", a track I was never a huge fan of before hearing this mix, but thankfully the very discrete surround mix changed that.
All of the other tracks benefit from 5.1 and stereo remixes too, mostly because of Steven's ability to use the pre-bounce tapes, giving everything much greater clarity.
Whether you get the CD/DVD-A or the 6-disc set, either way, it's completely worth every penny! :)

I am really surprised at all the high positives on this! Yes, the surround is done quite well. But, there is -no- low end...nothing for the subwoofer to do, which takes away from the impact of the music. I played this for my late-teens kids, who are very open minded to Dad's music, and one asked "why did they make the guitar sound unpleasant?" Maybe it needs to grow on me a little more...

Last edited:
Without knowing your sound system or setup, it's impossible to speculate why you're not hearing any low frequencies, since Greg Lake's bass on "I Talk to the Wind" should be rich enough for anyone's hearing (isn't that just a wonderful track?)

Because so much depends on what you have and how it's all wired together, I usually give only this advice: if you have an A/V setup you might want to try the DTS option if your system is set for it, and see if you get more bass response. But it may simply be a matter of your adjusting the playback deck to the rest of your system, if that's possible.

ED :)

I've never listened to KC before so this was my first time hearing their music. I popped the DVD-A into my Acura TL and I was really impressed by the musicianship, song writing and sound quality. Their music style is all over the place, from heavy rock to jazz to Moody Blues mellow. Good stuff.

Let me first say that I am not a King Crimson fan. It's not that I dislike them, it's just that I have never spent any time whatsoever listening to the music. I read all about In the Court of King Crimson and decided I should give them a listen and do some research on them. Listened to the CD a few times meh. Decent album but long drawn out noise part gets annoying and I find 21st century schizoid man does not belong to the flow of this album. ok but there are some parts of it that I like. I decide to take a chance on the 5.1 before it sells out and is only available for $500 a shot on Amazon...
Ok, I listened to it today. Exceptional surround sound. Incredible sound and great use of discrete surround sound. No complaints there at all. Still not so sure of the album though. It's much better and easier to listen to now, I'm going to have to listen to it a lot more to decide whether I really like the album. Sometimes if you don't grow up with an album, it just does not have the same effect on you as those who grew up loving it.

Sometimes if you don't grow up with an album, it just does not have the same effect on you as those who grew up loving it.
That's true for sure. But there are other paths.

My first exposure to the Grateful Dead was Workingman's Dead. Hated it the first times I listened to it. Probably left it unplayed for years. I then listened to it again and it clicked. Clicked good. One of my favorite albums for the past 35 years.

Never got the mch disk. :(

On topic: I deeply love all the early KC albums (Poseidon not that much), plus the McDonald & Giles album.

Last edited:
Yes I will spend time with it this week and I am sure it will grow on me.

Snood is a total Newb to KC never heard anything but 1 or 2 tracks from...........

Loved the content and the 5.1 mix

Still getting used to and was expecting way more experimental stuff and a lil more guitar driven, but that is my fault.

Based on the Content and the mix it would be a 9 or 10 no brainer............but

Voted an 8 overall - but a year from now might wish gave it a 9 or 10.

Neeeeed more geeeeeeeeetar!!

or cowbell :rolleyes:

I've seen pictures of this disc, and others in the KC catalog, with either the Panegyric or Inner Knot logo on the back.
What's the difference, or are they one and the same?

I've seen pictures of this disc, and others in the KC catalog, with either the Panegyric or Inner Knot logo on the back.
What's the difference, or are they one and the same?

No difference, other than Panegyric is Europe and Inner Knot is North America.

What rt said above is spot-on.
The masters are identical, it is just the local distributors logo on the sleeves that is different.

Got this a few weeks ago, along with 2 others. Just finally listening. I like it. The mix is good, the music is good. This is not what I expected based upon comments from others about experimental stuff, etc. I actually got an early James Bond music feel from this. I am not voting yet as I will listen at least one more time, but so far very good experience. I saw Neil Wilkes credited with the 5.1 mastering, very nice, and thank you Neil. Keep em coming. I know I am late to the party with the King Crimson stuff, but just wanted to show my support to you.

Here it is, the album credited (and blamed!) for fueling the 70's prog movement. Bless them. I've loved this LP for ages. I bought the deluxe box set upon release and still can't get over its quality and quantity of riches. The whole KC reissue campaign (highlighted, of course, by the SW surround mixes) has been an unparalleled success to me. A ten!

I am really surprised at all the high positives on this! Yes, the surround is done quite well. But, there is -no- low end...nothing for the subwoofer to do, which takes away from the impact of the music. I played this for my late-teens kids, who are very open minded to Dad's music, and one asked "why did they make the guitar sound unpleasant?" Maybe it needs to grow on me a little more...

Wow - I am pretty surprised to hear your comments about lacking bass (unless you were joking). This disc just makes my sub go ballistic. Seriously. I cannot imagine more pronounced, tight bass. Funny, I did the same thing...drug my college boy in here to take a listen and he was astounded at the clarity and bass of this 5.1 mix.

Back