HiRez Poll King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (2009) [DVD-Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of King Crimson - IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING

• Total voters
What is this significance of West Palm beach?

Think Woodstock - with gators ... <G>

http://www.palmbeachpopfestival.com/

They'd just been playing clubs in the US till then. Playing the same bill with EVERYBODY who was ANYBODY at the time apparently got them some notoriety.

<derail>
Interesting how some bands gain popularity. Genesis was almost unheard of in the states until they played in ... Toledo? A local disk jockey who caught them on their Selling England tour started airing them regularly on FM radio in ... Grand Rapids, MI? ... they caught on, and the rest, as they say, is history ...

* The Lamb Lies Down tour hit only twelve stops in the US. Rumoured to be a thank you for the exposure, one of them was the DJ's hometown of Allendale MI, population 4800. They did a full theatrical production of the album nonstop. Back in NYC was credited with cracking the dome resulting in it's demolition about a year later. Talk about bringing down the house, eh.

I was there. <neener neener neener> <G>
</derail>

OOps ... topic. Any similar stories about KC?

KC Red killed my neighbour's dog, when I listened to the DVD-A for the 1st time :(. Must be those high-freq components carried by the 48KHz sampling rate. Mostly harmless to humans, though - it only blew my mind...

I'm still waiting for the Court box, too -- would be next week's structural test of my house walls and psychological resiliense. But Lizard's already in the mail!

Well if Red killed your dog just wait till you hear the squealing weasels on Lark's Tongues. No animal will be safe.....

This one arrived today and I gave it the first spin in 5.1 MLP Lossless and gotta say I was very pleased. Not only does it sound incredible, but I (as a new KC listener) really enjoyed the music on the first turn. Again, my only complaint would be the packaging. I literally put dents/marks into the packaging to remove the inner digipac style case and again the booklet is loose. But you know what, who cares about packaging, at this price point I'm so very happy to try out any offerings especially when Steve and Neil are involved :)

I give this one a very solid 10!!!

Thanks again for the suggestion.

This one arrived today and I gave it the first spin in 5.1 MLP Lossless and gotta say I was very pleased. Not only does it sound incredible, but I (as a new KC listener) really enjoyed the music on the first turn. Again, my only complaint would be the packaging. I literally put dents/marks into the packaging to remove the inner digipac style case and again the booklet is loose.

Again, the easy way to remove the digipack the first time is to open the 'closed' end of the box. Then just push the digipack out. I found I only needed to do this once, after that the digipack fit in and out easily.

Btw, still wondering why the stereo remix as LPCM 48/24 appears to be a slightly different mastering than the MLP and CD versions of same...anyone?

Yeah, I did that after fumbling a bit...

Again, the easy way to remove the digipack the first time is to open the 'closed' end of the box. Then just push the digipack out. I found I only needed to do this once, after that the digipack fit in and out easily.

Exactly what I just did. Otherwise I'd still be down there trying to get it out!

What a great disc this is. The sound is excellent. As usual with an SW product, the EQ is perfect. Epitaph is sublime, and I thought that volume swell would never end! Mix is superb!

My only complaint, and this happens with a lot of 5.1 stuff, is that the title track seems to lose some of its majesty when spread around. I found the same with some of the early Genesis 5.1 stuff. But it's nobody's fault, just a byproduct of opening up the sound field.

Kudos to Neil and everyone responsible for this series of discs. I'm dying for Discipline!!!

Very nice all around, but it doesn't quite compare to Red, IMO. It's impossible to understand the original context of the music 40 years on, so not having heard it 40 years ago I'm probably missing a lot of what makes this extra special to many here. I like this disc, but Red is the one I reach for first, so an 8.

Gave it a 9.

For a 1969, it is very impressive.

The clarity is outstanding and hats off to SW for the great surround mix, there was a great opportunity to do something very discrete and he did.

It's definitely more appropriate for surround than Red. Of course the classic opener is completely overwhelming in this new presentation, but Epitaph for instance does get a new life.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for Thrak, I think it will be the most challenging to remix in surround but the result could be one of the most interesting surround mix ever, as it's very busy and the two drum kits intricacy could be a monster spread on several channels...

Once again, huge thanks to every one who were able to bring this whole project to reality, and managed to achieve such high standard results.

Gave it a 9.

For a 1969, it is very impressive.

The clarity is outstanding and hats off to SW for the great surround mix, there was a great opportunity to do something very discrete and he did.

It's definitely more appropriate for surround than Red. Of course the classic opener is completely overwhelming in this new presentation, but Epitaph for instance does get a new life.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for Thrak, I think it will be the most challenging to remix in surround but the result could be one of the most interesting surround mix ever, as it's very busy and the two drum kits intricacy could be a monster spread on several channels...

Once again, huge thanks to every one who were able to bring this whole project to reality, and managed to achieve such high standard results.

Accrding to Fripps Diary Jacko was mixing Thrak, that was as of November, so could be inetresting and almost certainly comming

Seems reasonable... So, now mine is stuck in the slip cover again. Oh well, I can still listen to Red.

Hurrah, I finally got my copy in the mail on Friday night and I have given it many listens over the past 3 days as I wanted to give the main album a good listen to as well as the extras before voting. This is a 10 for sure, everything about it is great. I had a friend over last night who is intimately familiar with the album and he was also very impressed with this surround release. His comment would be echoed by me as well that he has never heard it presented where you can distinctly make out all the instruments so clearly, what a fantastic mix and mastered so well.
Definitely one of the most pleasant music listening experiences in a long long time, if anything time seemed to go to quickly while listening to this title and I wished the album had more tracks on it as it was such an enjoyable listening experience.
So impressed with what was done here, great work Steve Wilson,Robert Fripp and of course our Neil Wilkes......

peter

As a first-time listener to KC, I score this a 10. Unlike most here, I prefer ITCOTCK to Red. And please, fans, don't be offended when I say I'm hearing Moody Blues and Traffic in much of this. I have no idea who's influence came first, so it's meant as a compliment.
The surround mix is superb, and the stereo version is pristine.
My thanks to all involved!

Hi All.
Just to introduce myself. My name, as my user name hints at is Andy Kinch. I live here in the UK and I'm a songwriter/ musician. I also own and play a Mellotron, a rare thing nowadays. So I have always had a particular fondness for this and the other early Crimson albums.
This is without doubt the best version of "Court" I have ever heard!
Congratulations to all concerned, because apart from two things, which I'll explain in a mo. Everything is simply better!
OK, point one, and it may be down to my blu ray player (Sony). The 5.1 gets a stop/start between each track. Particularly annoying between ITTTW and Epithaph, to say the least. Can anyone here think of a reason why this should happen?
And secondly, the fantastic musical climax on Epitaph has always ended with a Mellotron pitch bend on all previous versions, but is completely missing on the new mix! It would be facinating to know whether RF decided he didn't want it on this version. Or whether it was left off by mistake. Or whether it was actually played over the final mix live on the original session, so therefore wasn't available.
Anyway, I'm splitting hairs really, when such a great job has been done.
I've just received "Lizard through the post, and so far it sounds like another winner... Whew!:D

Burning Shed: "Unfortunately, we've been informed that the deluxe King Crimson In The Court Of The Crimson King box set has been further delayed due to manufacturing errors."

Dam... again... that KC stuff is pretty tricky to make! No wonder Fripp had to make 2 breaks of 10 years each.

OH for the love of.....will I ever get to hear this darn thing without being forced to pay for it twice?

I know this will never happen, but it would be nice if Burning Shed could send out the dvd-a now and the rest of the box when it is ready.

Back