HiRez Poll King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (2009) [DVD-Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of King Crimson - IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING

• Total voters
one question, Burning Shed still shows as
"24/48 High Resolution Stereo mixes of full CD audio content (playable in all DVD players/DVD-Rom drives etc.) "
in their description of ITCOKC.

I think "DVD-Rom" means it should be *.WAV files included in the disk.
I tried to find out PCM files in Red DVD disk, but not exists any pc files except video files.
what does it mean "DVD-Rom drives" ?

Hajime

"DVD players" = standalone players
"DVD-Rom drives" = pc/mac software-based players.

Amazon has re-re-redelayed the shipping on this. Again.

It's like they have this magical ability to figure out what I REALLY want, and screw with it.

Color me decidedly unamused.

woo hoo, got mine today.:D

it is terrific, my other copy is the 1999 30th aniversary cd, not the 2004 remaster, and it simply blows that away

I listened to the 5.1 mix first and immediately noticed the vocals to be much cleaner than the previous mix, in fact the whole soundstage was smooth clean and clear, dynamics are good. The mix is nice, not too aggresive but very good for an 8 track 40 year old master. I next compared the 2004 release to the 1999 cd that I have, it is cleaner but nowhere near as good as the 2009 remix.

I cannot give sufficient praise to all involved, it is a wonderful showcase for King Crimson's first album well done all.

Sorry if this seems a little stilted and without much content, but I am still in shock my fingers can barely type !

Malcolm

:banana::banana:

it is terrific, my other copy is the 1999 30th aniversary cd, not the 2004 remaster, and it simply blows that away

I listened to the 5.1 mix first and immediately noticed the vocals to be much cleaner than the previous mix, in fact the whole soundstage was smooth clean and clear, dynamics are good. The mix is nice, not too aggresive but very good for an 8 track 40 year old master. I next compared the 2004 release to the 1999 cd that I have, it is cleaner but nowhere near as good as the 2009 remix.

I cannot give sufficient praise to all involved, it is a wonderful showcase for King Crimson's first album well done all.

Sorry if this seems a little stilted and without much content, but I am still in shock my fingers can barely type !

Malcolm

Wow! Malcom, you actually got it? Isn't it great? I assume you got the CD/DVD-A set. I was under the impression that it would not be out for another week or so. Neil?

Jon,
It is the CD/DVD-A set. I got my email confirmation from Burning Shed Thursday evening like most others here. I live in the UK so expected it to arrive Monday but got a very pleasant surprise when the mailman delivered it at 12:15 today.
Sadly I could not listen to it immediately but did later this afternoon and am very pleased with the result. I do not know the other KC albums, Court was always a big favourite, but I may just have to invest in them.

Malcolm

Oh, great ... you had to go tell everybody.

Seeing the release date isn't till Monday, they're probably now getting buried in lawsuits and NOBODY else will see their copy till after the release of Duke Nukem Forever ...

I hope you're happy <grumble mumble>

:D

Amazon has re-re-redelayed the shipping on this. Again.

It's like they have this magical ability to figure out what I REALLY want, and screw with it.

Color me decidedly unamused.

We all went thru that with the Genesis 70-75 box set.

Consider yourself lucky Rhino isn't involved with this release.

OK Folks. Now that this thing is out there, I can speak a bit about it. My big UPS is down for a battery, so I can't access my "big computer", where I had some screen shots of the wav files and other info, but I'll post some opinions here from my laptop.

First off, I have to admit that I'd never really heard this album before. It's hard to believe, I know. I've seen it a million times in record stores and dorm rooms, friends houses, and in magazines, etc. But for some reason, I just never connected with it. In some ways, it makes it even more fun to hear it now.

Hearing it first in surround, both in the car and at home, makes me feel that it's hard to believe that it could be presented in 2 channels. The 5.1 mix is nothing short of perfect. The center speaker is used for the lead vocals, and something that I really like to hear and is not done very often in 5.1 mixes is that the front left and front right are used with instruments and sounds panned hard into them. Instead of a "floating" guitar somewhere in the fronts, there's a guitar hard left in the front left speaker only. It really makes a WIDE surround sound field, which I like best. If you're going to use 5 channels, put discrete stuff in them when it fits.

The lead off tune kicks ass, filling the listening area with POWER. It makes you want to crank it up and you can't help but feel the beat in your body. Just like old times! :D The surround field becomes a real stunner during "Moonchild", a tune which dates itself to the late '60s/early '70s, but works well within the album. The dream sequence is pure surround perfection, all speakers getting their due.

The final anthem blasts from the rears with the rousing chorus as the title tune closes out the album in "makes you smile" fashion. This one is a keeper, a perfect 10, and once I get my big PC back to operation, I'll post more info that I wrote up prior to this post.

At any rate, if you've never heard KC before, this album is a great place to start. It's a tad bit Moody Blue's-ish, but a LOT more "heavy". I think anyone who's into surround will enjoy this album, so go get one and see what you think. Heck, there really isn't much more out there to spend your DVD-A Dollars on, is there?

My vote: 10

Thanks Jon. I ordered mine today. Hope it comes after I get my room back in order next weekend. TV died.

Listened to "Lizard" today (in stereo of course) for the first time. I really like this album a lot. Can't wait until the 5.1 version arrives. This will be 3 home runs I guess and will leave me wanting the others that aren't out as yet.

Hearing "I Talk To The Wind" and "Epitaph" just blew me away.
I knew 21st Century Schitzoid Man was going to be a howler
but Epitaph is one of my favorite Greg Lake vocals of all time.
Stunning recording all around!

-B

Jon (..and everyone else that has received their copies of this disc), Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this classic release! This is just what I was hoping to hear and can't wait for my copy to arrive. I always thought this KC album would be a good one in surround. Sure sounds like it was done RIGHT!
I'll chime in with more after I listen to it...
Tim

Malcolm

The reason for the incredibly detailed sound here is that for the very first time everything you hear on the record is first generation material.
On the original mix, a lot of things were bounced from 8 tracks down to 1 or 2 tracks, then the 8-track got filled up again & bounced again.
For these mixes the original submix tapes were used - and carefully resynced - so instead of 2nd or 3rd generation it is all pristine.
Additionally, this means that steve was able to get into the whole mix in a lot more detail than previously possible because there was no need to "mix as you record".

FWIW, as well as the CD/DVDA version & Box Set version, there is also a straight 2CD version.

Amazon's stock problems were, I suspect, caused by them seriously under-estimating demand. This is a guess though.

Can't wait to compare the 5.1 to my Vinyl copy.

Also very excited to hear the high hat or is it ride taps that move from ear to ear. That was/still one of my favorite isolation of percussive channels.

Can't wait to compare the 5.1 to my Vinyl copy.

Also very excited to hear the high hat or is it ride taps that move from ear to ear. That was/still one of my favorite isolation of percussive channels.

It's still there! (y)

Back