HiRez Poll King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (2009) [DVD-Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of King Crimson - IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on the 2009 Mix and 5.1 Surround DVD-Audio of this album. If you feel so inclined, let us know when and where you got it from. Also, list what version you ordered/received, and your evaluation of the extras in the deluxe set if that's what you got.

Please do not vote in the poll until you've listened to the disc a few times.

THANKS

:phones

Attachments

• Slipcase Front800.jpg
    Slipcase Front800.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,449
  • Slipcase Rear800.jpg
    Slipcase Rear800.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,431
  • Discs800.jpg
    Discs800.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 1,447
Hmmm....it appears the release date for this has been delayed!?!?!?!?!?

Or is Amazon just screwing with me.

I've canceled the Amazon order and went with burning shed. Something is up. Red wouldn't even ship until the end of the month while burning shed is already shipping them.

Thanks! :eek:

Now I get what I really need
21st Century Schizoid Man

This almost possesses me
and impresses me

:)

Is there a technical reason why the 5.1 can't be at 96khz like the stereo? I'm sure this has been answered here before....

The new versions are a revelation, they really are.

I'll admit, Neil, there are definitely a lot of discs in my collection that I wouldn't have given a second listen to if it weren't for the beauty of surround (Flaming Lips, for example), but I'll be surprised if I change my mind on "Lizard".

I'll wait to hear "Lizard" at Dennis Mabry's house! ;)

Is there a technical reason why the 5.1 can't be at 96khz like the stereo? I'm sure this has been answered here before....

I assUme the original masters have limitations that would make the difference indiscernable.

Then again, even my dog can't tell the difference between 48 KHz (aka kHz, aka KHZ, aka khz, aka STFU!) and 96. My OPPO allows me to kick down to 48 with 96 encoded material, and I do find that the higher sampling rate does tend to add a bit of that elusive "pResence" (or is it pRescience?) factor. Then again, that could all be on the OPPO and it's conversion algos ... so forget I mentioned it.

What was I saying??

pS ... I imagine anyone who has problems with Red would be REALLY out of synch with Under Heavy Manners

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN EDITIED FOR YOUR READING ENJOYMENT.

Once the discs start showing up in people's mailboxes, I'll add the poll and delete this post.

You guys will be VERY happy when you hear this disc. Neil & Co. did a terrific job on the surround mix. It's crystal clear, very discrete, very non-gimmicky and totally PERFECT, IMHO. I hope you all will feel the same.

I assUme the original masters have limitations that would make the difference indiscernable.

Then again, even my dog can't tell the difference between 48 KHz (aka kHz, aka KHZ, aka khz, aka STFU!) and 96. My OPPO allows me to kick down to 48 with 96 encoded material, and I do find that the higher sampling rate does tend to add a bit of that elusive "pResence" (or is it pRescience?) factor. Then again, that could all be on the OPPO and it's conversion algos ... so forget I mentioned it.

What was I saying??

pS ... I imagine anyone who has problems with Red would be REALLY out of synch with Under Heavy Manners

I'm no expert, Neil will undoubtedly be the one to correctly answer this, but I strongly suspect it's related to disc space.
5.1 at 24/96, plus 2.0 at 24/96 along with video content maybe doesn't fit?

It's actually an interesting business decision in that one would think having a separate CD release available would have made for a larger potential market. Frankly, I don't know too many people who have a DVD player on a conventional sound system, and if you're planning to play it on the home theater, well then ... DVD audio is the only choice, right?

<edit>
Ah. I see there IS a two cd set available. Never mind ...
</edit>

Then again, not sure if dropping the CD version from the set would free up enough space either.Are the bonus cuts included in stereo def? Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Thanx to QQ for the reminder that the New! Improved !! KC is now available. I'd flat out spaced it. Just ordered mine today - and yes, I included Red on my list, dagnabit (dagnabyte?) - and I WILL post a review shortly.

I mean, after all, that's what this thread is for, right? Not to discuss some typo.

Or tYpo.

Or TYpo, for that matter ... ;)

If SW, Neil & company are taking orders, I can't wait for the re-release of Spooky Tooth. Maybe some Marillion even.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, Neil will undoubtedly be the one to correctly answer this, but I strongly suspect it's related to disc space.
5.1 at 24/96, plus 2.0 at 24/96 along with video content maybe doesn't fit?
With 4 different streams I'm guessing space was the limiting factor.
There are at least 2 sides to the 48 vs 96 debate.
For me, I don't care about CD on these and would've have preferred the videos on a separate disc and gone with 96k sampling but I'm sure cost was the factor.

Just to confuse the issue ... or maybe unconfuse it? I've seen a few QQ mentions of video content ... I may have been guilty of it myself.

From BurningShed.Com

40th Anniversary reissues of one of the most important albums in rock history, featuring a new stereo mix (courtesy of Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp), bonus tracks, comprehensive sleevenotes, and copious extras (the cd/dvda and box set editions also include a 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson).

I see no mention of DVD Video in the list. Probably an oversight, as I would think that's what bulks the box set out to five disks. I'd have to go back and re-read the thread to see if that's been covered, but wait ... half of it disappeared recently ... :rolleyes:

I went with the CD/DVD-A version. Can't wait to get mine in the mail and see what I bought ... <G>

Back