HiRez Poll King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (2009) [DVD-Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of King Crimson - IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING

• Total voters
Thanks Neil.
I asked you because of my experience with many DVDA titiles being out of print before kowing of their existence.
Now I can relax myself :smokin

I will always tell everyone here about any titles I am allowed to, as soon as I am allowed to do it.
No worries on that score.

We will be starting on the next 2 any week now.
Lots of interesting stuff coming along.....

A couple of weeks ago I bought the "Lizard" DVD-A and was thoroughly impressed with its surround mix and overall sound, in general, and upon a second listen decided it was darn near 'incredible'! So with that said... Yesterday, I finally received the "In The Court of the King Crimson" DVD-Audio and gave it a spin; but in comparison felt a little disappointed that it wasn't as aggressive of a surround mix. The ironic thing is that if this were a few years ago, I think the more restrained mix of ITCOTKC is exactly what I would've held up as an 'ideal' for many (though not all) surround mixes. Of course, my idea of 'ideal' changes from time to time. So I guess that means I'm going through an 'aggressive' surround mix idealization phase right now. I'm not sure what to rate this album just yet, so I'm withholding my vote for now. I'm not meaning to trash the mix, mind you; and considering what was available to work with on the original tapes based on previous comments, the mix is perhaps quite amazing in and of itself. It's just that I'm not yet sure how good to rate it. :)

(btw... I'd never heard ITCOTKC in any previous form, other than the 30-second sampler off of Amazon. But I like the music a lot more than I ever thought I would've prior to having given it a listen.)

Woohoo my first post in a poll. What an album to vote on though. I am a prog rock fanatic and can't stress enough how much I adore both the surround and new stereo mixes of this masterpiece. I have owned this on vinyl since mid 70's.Nothing wrong with the bottom end on this at all in my opinion. 10/10

Has anyone got any of the Japanese pressings? If so how do they compare to the American or European versions as far as quality and sound?

There should be no difference at all unless the Japanese used a better manufacturing process.
They are all off the same project master compilation....

I have only purchased Red and In the Court of King Crimson. I never followed the band back in the day, so this is my first exposure to KC. I have to say, that after purchasing Red I almost did not buy any more of the titles. I was not crazy about Red at all. And I'm referring to the music, not the technical aspects and surround quality of the recording. However, as a gesture to supporting the surround format I finally decided to spring for In the Court of King Crimson. I actually had it for a week or two before I ever bothered listening to it, thinking I would have about the same opinion of the music as I did after listening to Red. I have to say, I really enjoyed In the Court of King Crimson. I'm glad I gave the band another chance. I'm now wondering if any of the other titles are more in the musical style of ITCOKC? I know I've read some of the other titles may be an acquired taste. But I am happy that I bought this particular title. I'll give Red another listen at some point. Maybe it will grow on me.

So, basically you like the KC that sounds more 'symphonic' than 'metal' or 'avant garde', with lots of Mellotron. In that case I think you might like 'Islands' and 'In The Wake of Poseidon'.

Lizard may well also float your boat.
"Red" is the Power Trio line up, and that was all they ever did.
Larks Tongues In Aspic is also going to be more up your street I suspect.

Has anyone got any of the Japanese pressings? If so how do they compare to the American or European versions as far as quality and sound?

I've got the first three so far, and am waiting on the next 2 to arrive.
Couldn't say about sound quality, as mine are still sealed (and will remain that way).
I can confirm they are all of the same masters - I prepared 3 sets of masters, one for US, one for Europe & one for WHD Japan. All identical.
The packaging does say "HQCD", whatever that is, and ITCOTCK seems to have 2 sets of discs included.

So, basically you like the KC that sounds more 'symphonic' than 'metal' or 'avant garde', with lots of Mellotron. In that case I think you might like 'Islands' and 'In The Wake of Poseidon'.

Thanks to all of you for the recommendations on future KC purchases. Interesting that you mention the "symphonic" sound. There were some of the tunes that were reminiscent of Moody Blues (I'd have to go back and listen again to recall which exactly), so yes, you hit the nail on the head with that aspect of this album.

An incredibly influential album presented in stellar sound quality! But I gave it a 9 because after all these years, I still can't connect with "Moonchild" past the first three minutes.

J. D.

An incredibly influential album presented in stellar sound quality! But I gave it a 9 because after all these years, I still can't connect with "Moonchild" past the first three minutes.

J. D.

Thats going back a bit-like 1967? it was done? Those days this album was a true one of a kind. I can't get past that date of production. You have got to figure they wrote it in 66-67, so that would make it so far ahead of it self, I can't wrap my head around that. I was still in HS. Listening to the Kinks and AM radio

Thats going back a bit-like 1967? it was done? Those days this album was a true one of a kind. I can't get past that date of production. You have got to figure they wrote it in 66-67, so that would make it so far ahead of it self, I can't wrap my head around that. I was still in HS. Listening to the Kinks and AM radio
I wasn't even born yet, :D Born in '76. I do like the album though.

This is a classic done justice.
Although the booklet mentions that Moonchild is edited in the album running order of the new mix, This is only true for the (new) stereo versions. The 5.1 version is the full version. Thought I'd mention that in this thread,

In The Court of the Crimson King sounds great. Worth the price for Epitaph alone :smokin

Despite being a long term Prog fan the only King Crimson I had heard before SW started doing the anniversary remixes was Discipline (which I absolutely love) so I decided that as the re-releases were being done in 5.1 it would be a perfect opportunity to collect the lot.

A few listens of this (I've played it into double figures by now) and I could really appreciate it's iconic status. A truly spectacular album that sounds just wonderful with the SW treatment. Easy 10.

Its an album I've loved since I first heard it when a school-friend lent it to me, and I think the 5.1 mix really works, I keep playing it. Considering how old it is the sound quality is really good. I had to get the Box Set, which now means I've bought this album on cassette, vinyl, CD, re-mastered HDCD, boxed set, and a CD EP of lots of version of 21st Schizoid Man!

I'm mostly new here, so lots of threads I haven't seen. I have this disc, in the 5.1 format with Wilson turning the knobs. OMG! Are you kidding me? Something of this age, and what he did with this is short of amazing. I play this often, and likely will buy all the others....I now have 4 of the KC discs with SW at the helm. Amazing...

Back