Alan Parsons EMI quad sound effects record? (DSOTM-R)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johmbolayaSQ

I did a search here and elsewhere and couldn't find anything, so hopefully I'll be able to find an answer here.

Watching the Dark Side Of The Moon edition of Classic Albums, Alan Parsons talked about how he was commissioned by EMI to create a quadraphonic demonstration record. My question is, did that sound effects project ever get released in any form? I see a number of EMI sound effects album in the quad discography, and as I'm looking around I see an album called This Is EMI Quadraphonic Sound from 1972. It features a track called "At The Clockmakers", so would that be Parsons-related?

I did a search here and elsewhere and couldn't find anything, so hopefully I'll be able to find an answer here.

Watching the Dark Side Of The Moon edition of Classic Albums, Alan Parsons talked about how he was commissioned by EMI to create a quadraphonic demonstration record. My question is, did that sound effects project ever get released in any form? I see a number of EMI sound effects album in the quad discography, and as I'm looking around I see an album called This Is EMI Quadraphonic Sound from 1972. It features a track called "At The Clockmakers", so would that be Parsons-related?

Could be, he went into a clock shop to record the bit for Dark side, but he never said when he did this. I will ask!

Could be, he went into a clock shop to record the bit for Dark side, but he never said when he did this. I will ask!

Cool. This is a cart I found while doing a Google image search:
2gufo1t.jpg

I would think the LP would reveal a bit more information (i.e. producer and engineer information) than the cart, but as you can see, it shows a clock segment and an airport segment, along with a few other things in between the proper songs. I figured since this album came out in 1972, and DSOTM came out in what, March 1973, this might be the quad album Parsons had contributed to.

In John Harris's book DSOTM The Making of a Pink Floyd Masterpiece, he writes "a new element was spliced into the intro of Time, a volley of clocks recently recorded by Alan Parsons for an EMI record aimed at demonstrating the wonders of quadraphonic sound." Dark Side was partly recorded in the second half of 1972. So a great chance that it is the same recording.

I have this cart and the "clockwork" part is clearly from the same recording as Time.

Can we add it to the Alan Parsons personal discography?

Good catch John! I'd really like to hear the full recording of the clocks.

Hello,
what I noticed is that the LP tracklist in NOT the same for the cart. It seems that the LP omitted the sound effects between the music. Please, if someone of you own the LP, can confirm this? In order the listen to the sound effects we need to have the cart and not the LP? Thank you.

Hello,
what I noticed is that the LP tracklist in NOT the same for the cart. It seems that the LP omitted the sound effects between the music. Please, if someone of you own the LP, can confirm this? In order the listen to the sound effects we need to have the cart and not the LP? Thank you.

Better late than never....Here is the tracklist from the LP: No clocks :(
EMI (600 x 490).jpg

I owned the Manual & the Mountains, Ron Goodwin and John Keating SQ releases back in the '70s Quad era.
This looks like an excellent Quad album - even without the clocks! Get that Surround Master warmed up.... :)

Back