CD4-1000 - where are the other 48 units?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it TEN TIMES better than Lou Dorren's new demodulator will be? His price seems to think so. Yikes!

It might be interesting to ask Lou Dorrent how his "QQ" edition unit will compare to something like this unit.

I had a CD4-50 back in the Quad Era and it was quite good. But I've never heard a CD4-1000.

Cai was supposed to have one, but it hasn't turned up. Does anyone know if he sold it?

He never mentioned a CD4-1000 to me, but I do know that he told me he was using a JVC CD4-50 demodulator. Did that not show up? I don't think he would ever have sold that.

It was on his list of equipment but isn't in his music room as far as we can tell. He wasn't using it at any rate. The CD4-50 was in use and has been sold.

I did some searching through the QQ archives. I would guess that Cai did not have a CD4-1000, as I am sure that he would have posted about aquiring it and how he got it, etc.

You can see here in THIS THREAD that he was very happy to land his CD4-50. Kinda sad, it really makes me miss him and his posts here at QQ.................

He never mentioned a CD4-1000 to me, but I do know that he told me he was using a JVC CD4-50 demodulator. Did that not show up? I don't think he would ever have sold that.

That's what I recall as well. He talked about the CD4-50, but not a CD4-1000. I'm sure he would have mentioned the CD4-1000 if it was in his collection.

So color me quad-dummie and sit me in the corner...hey, 1000 is 1000, right?

The unit Cai owned that is missing is the Sansui QSD-1000. Sorry for the confusion. I've learned a great deal the past few months, but obviously not enough!

So color me quad-dummie and sit me in the corner...hey, 1000 is 1000, right?

The unit Cai owned that is missing is the Sansui QSD-1000. Sorry for the confusion. I've learned a great deal the past few months, but obviously not enough!

A Sansui QSD-1000 is missing...if he sent it away for some reason like mods, or repairs, then there might be an email trail in his computer..

A Sansui QSD-1000 is missing...if he sent it away for some reason like mods, or repairs, then there might be an email trail in his computer..

Great minds, as they say. I enjoyed a fascinating day immersed in Cai's email archives...

In the fall of 2003, Hajime offered to sell a new, yes never been plugged in, QSD-1000 he found in a guitar amp box in the basement of a studio. He was able to purchase it. He offered to sell it to Cai for $600. Cai had a QSD-1 he was very happy with, and asked Hajime his opinion about whether the QSD-1000 was better.

Hajime replied:

"I like the sound QSD-1 than QSD-1000.
That is my personal opinion.
QSD-1 sound has dynamic music passion. D1000 sounds more gently and silky. D1000 sounds very clean because electric distortion and noise level is lower than QSD-1 because D1000 circuit has FET phase shifting and has excellent electric parts.
But after all, I like QSD-1 sound than D1000.
Music passion is the most important for me.

I do not think it depends on three band or single band decoding.

But D1000 looks very very nice.
It's for audiophile gears like as Mark Levinson!
I call D1000 "QS black beauty"."

Cai decided not to buy the unit because he loved his QSD-1. Hajime sold it on eBay for $1500.

When I was getting ready to start selling equipment on eBay, several members offered information. Three of them mentioned Cai's QSD-1000, so I assumed he had one. I don't know where the information that he owned one originated. He could have purchased one recently but there is nothing mentioned in emails, so I doubt it.

The lost has not been found, because it does not exist! Mystery solved.

We now return to figuring out where the other CD4-1000s are...:D
Judie

3 CD-4 1000 are staying in Germany - one I have. Nevertheless I am waiting for Lou's mysterious new wonder demodulator. But well listening with well separation are the JVC 10 S and the Technics SH-400. The 400 shows by adjustment 28 to 30 dB separation. Other demodulators have often lower results. But the 35 dB separation by the modell of Lou would be the top.

Dietrich

I wanted one of these in the 70's.
A pro-fesh-null demodulator! The holy grail!

By all accounts, actual results were underwhelming.
Basically a 4DD5 with extra knobs.

Significant changes in hardware technology -- transistors, specifically -- make the likelihood of this 70's-era piece's performance even approaching that of Lou's new design zero.

I wanted one of these in the 70's.
A pro-fesh-null demodulator! The holy grail!

By all accounts, actual results were underwhelming.
Basically a 4DD5 with extra knobs.

Significant changes in hardware technology -- transistors, specifically -- make the likelihood of this 70's-era piece's performance even approaching that of Lou's new design zero.

Well, I had one of the CD4-50 units. And it was quite a bit better than the consumer grade CD-4 units of the day - including the 4DD5.

If the CD4-1000 was even better, it would have been worth checking out!

Back