HiRez Poll King Crimson - Lizard [DVD-Audio/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - LIZARD

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters
I received the European Version of "LIZARD" and I have finally been able to listen to the 5.1 DTS remix which by the way is fantastic!
There is definetly something wrong with the USA edition of this cd/dvd.
How can you tell which issue is which?
In tEurope the label that issues King Crimson recordings for the rest of the world is called Panegyric... in the USA it is called Inner Knot and for Japan it is WHD.
Look at the bottom of the back cover of the cardboard slipcase and you will see to right just before the Inner Knot logotype the Panegyric logotype if it is the European version. The USA Version does not have it.
However, since nothing is perfect, there are gaps between the songs in the European verion, but it is better to have gaps than to not being able to listen to it at all.
All I have mentioned here is in reference to the DTS 5.1 mix.
I have no idea about the MLP mix.
By the way I mentioned this problem to DGM Live and they kindly sent me another DVD-A since the first one could have been defective but it acted in the same manner.
Thanks!

I just wanted to chime in on this again, This 5.1 mix just seems to get better with every listen. Not sure if I gave this a 10 originally or not (It used to itallic your vote but does not seem to anymore) but would definitly do that now.

I wasn't planning on buying any of the KC stuff since I didn't think I'd like it, but after sampling some of the songs online figured I'd give the Lizard DVD-A a try. It's not half bad! Good mix.

Next up to buy will be "In The Court..." Those song samples sounded pretty good, too.

ok..I'm about to pull my head out of my ass about this album and finally ordered it..the curse of being a completist I guess..I still feel this is my least fave KC album... but then again, I never expected Islands to move me to tears as it has...

ok..so it arrived...listened to the stereo mix while at work..still felt lukewarm about it all...went home and put on the 5.1 ..and that was a lot of fun!

I can appreciate this one, but it just doesn't do it for me like other KC albums..maybe it will grow on me one day..

That's about right. Some don't like fact but Andrew Keeling's choices of which albums were important enough to completely dissect musically is spot on.

This mix, along with "In the Court of the Crimson King" and "Red", established Steven Wilson as THE go-to guy (currently) for 5.1 surround remixing.
What a joy it is to listen to this mix. VERY discrete and definitely MUCH better than the original stereo mix.
Not the strongest King Crimson album musically but the album is bookended in a very strong fashion by "Cirkus" and "Lizard", while "Lady of the Dancing Water" shows off KC's more delicate side beautifully.
The King Crimson 5.1 series are my favorite discs to listen to, and I can't wait to get the last remaining few. :)

I've always loved this bizarre & transitional KC album and was thrilled that it received this deluxe treatment. The 5.1 mix is phenomenal (one of SW's very best IMO) and the fidelity stunning. 10

Best of the First 3 - Snood lovesit - experimental jazzyrock stuff and the 5.1 is reaaaaaaaaaaaallly nice between a 9 and 10 - Will go 9.4 so a 9 - my fave so far as a KC noob :banana:

I may be a bit late to the party with my voting, but I've only recently been able to listen to the DVD-A version as opposed to the DTS 5.1. This disc is a solid 10 for me. Lizard has been my favorite KC album since I first bought it back in 1970. I fell in love with the original ITCOTCK album when I bought that back in '69, but felt a bit let down by Poseidon. Hearing 'Cirkus' for the first time totally grabbed me and the rest of the album just thrilled me. It was also the first time I heard the vocals of Jon Anderson since I had not yet been introduced to YES.

This 5.1 version is better than I could have hoped for. The saxes on 'Indoor Games' blow me away, especially the baritone sax on the left side. And who could not love a song about the Beatles? I tried to figure out the meaning of the lyrics to 'Happy Family', and finally found some explanation here http://www.songsouponsea.com/Promenade/CirkusE.html at Peter Sinfeld's 'songsouponsea' site (a really cool site dealing with Pete's lyrics for KC, ELP and others). I constantly hear musical parts that I never heard on the original album. And I was not offended by the lack of tempo and pitch change during 'Big Top', realizing how effects like that were easy to accomplish with analog tapes but a bit difficult in digital.

Can't say it enough...would give higher if I could, but it will always be a 10 for me. :51banana::bounce:cool:

Dear Jersey Ed, Many of us felt the same way....this was a masterpiece. I'm glad you finally got to hear it!
Dwight

Hi Dwight,
I've heard and loved it in DTS 5.1 since 2009 (as I have with all my KC, ELP, Yes, etc). But since we're only supposed to vote on the DVD-A or Blu-Ray, I can now do so since I now have a Blu-Ray player that plays the DVD-A versions.
Ed

Back