HiRez Poll King Crimson - Lizard [DVD-Audio/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - LIZARD

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters
"Lizard" has always been my favorite Crimson album (I love all the horn improvising) and this 5.1 mix is a revelation. Easily, the best of the 3 releases, imo. Can't wait to check out the stereo mixes but based on the lossless 5.1 mix alone, this one gets a solid 10 from me. Now where's that bong....?

Is the hold up on the US Domestic release due to an effort to fix the the playback error?

There is no playback problem, that I'm aware of. Why don't you order from Burning Shed? $22.50 shipped. I've had mine for a month now.

Haven't voted yet; hard not to give it a 10 because it's such an improved delivery all around. I considered the album a mess when I was younger, still re-thinking it. Was fashioning a new screen for the bong, sorry for the hold up....

Haven't yet voted, either. Still the least favourite of KC albums, but it is a much more pleasureable listen now. :)

OK, I'll give it an 8.

I gave it a very detailed listen and was definitely blown away...to me this is the most "avant-garde" KC went.
The 5.1 mix really opens up since there is TOO much going on and the bubble is superb.
Only thing, the bass playing is pedestrian at best and I can't stand the singer, but apart from that it's a great LP to discover and to play again and again!

BTW, the screen gives it a different flavor, just get a poker and change the water...:smokin

Finally. After a wait of over 1,000 years, Amazon has seen fit to send me Lizard.

finally.jpg

Perhaps it just that this one has been SOOOOOO waited for, but by Jeebers, it sounds TERRIFIC. I would give it an 11, but this damn software only goes to 10.

I have to agree with some other posters, this one is THE 5.1 champ of the original 3 40th anniversary releases.

Last edited:
So, I'm the only who was curious/taken aback about the speed change to 'Big Top' , on the remixes versus the original mix?

?? What I'm saying is, the new versions (stereo and surround) have no speed difference in Big Top from the rest of the track, whereas on the original LP (and all CDs up to now) 'Big Top' had a very psychedelic speed-up of each repeat of its 2-bar musical theme, so that it went up and up in tempo and pitch each time around. Certainly it must have been intentional back in 1970 and was an appropriately odd way to end such an odd album.

Check out the old CD or LP and you'll immediately hear what I mean.

?? What I'm saying is, the new versions (stereo and surround) have no speed difference in Big Top from the rest of the track, whereas on the original LP (and all CDs up to now) 'Big Top' had a very psychedelic speed-up of each repeat of its 2-bar musical theme, so that it went up and up in tempo and pitch each time around. Certainly it must have been intentional back in 1970 and was an appropriately odd way to end such an odd album.

Check out the old CD or LP and you'll immediately hear what I mean.

Yeah - I know. Sorry I didn't explain properly.
The remixed versions had to have this completely recreated, as it was missing from the multis for some reason.
This is how it was done for the remix. Cannot remember the reason, but it was a good one.......

I'm still not quite understanding. What was completely recreated? The original effect was NOT recreated. It sounds like nothing was done for the remix. That's what I'm saying.

I'm guessing the effect was originally created during or after mixdown from mulitracks -- i.e., it was not tracked on the original multis.
Tape speeds were manipulated during mixdown, or the normal-speed mixdown was copied with speed manipulation, or it was done during cutting (in which case the effect
wouldn't be on *any* original master tapes, just production masters).

Those would all be laborious compared to today. I can't imagine it would be very hard to do this digitally -- it's pitch shifting without preserving tempo.

So there must have been a compelling reason not to, but what was it.....?

Back