Tony Banks-A Curious Feeling DD\DTS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterzach

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Well after all the glowing reviews on King Crimson I don't have high expectations for how the surround of this title will sound compared to KC but it does have a surround mix done by Nick Davis under Tony's supervision so take it for what its worth. Well I am a huge Genesis fan so I did preorder this and got a email today from amazon.uk that it is shipping as of today.
Anyone else order this?

Here is link to order from amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Curious-Fee...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1256149585&sr=8-1

and more info here:

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/esoteric/artists/tonybanks.htm

First take, this is a joy to have after all these years! I've requested that a review thread be started so I'll save it.

Bought mine from Steve Hackett's store about $28 US all told: caminorecords.

I'd never heard this LP before, so I tripsed on down to amazon to check out the clips and I ordered it from cherryred.co.uk (?).
Just got an email from them it had shipped.
News at 11.... ;=)

This album's original mix was so muddy, which was really highlighted by the superb remix of one of the singles from it. Long, long over due. :)

OD

I was wondering if I should order this. I'll wait to hear what you all say about the mix. I've never hear the orginial record, so I'm hoping this will be a good surprise for me.

First blush, this is on par with the Genesis mixes. I felt the track to track quality (impact?) varied so I want to give it another spin before I vote.

But frankly you can't go wrong. Very personal album and I can't get the songs out of my head today!

Now if we could also get Smallcreeps Day; I bet if Michael Rutherford asked Nick Davis to do it we would have it. Asking someone else to mix is um, okay with me.

Press Release for "A Chord Too Far":

A Special Edition Four-Disc Boxset of Tony Banks’ Acclaimed Solo Career

Including Remixed and Unreleased Pieces

Founding member of Genesis, Tony Banks, is to release A Chord Too Far as a four-disc boxset, that brings together selected songs from his celebrated solo career. Released on Esoteric Recordings, a Cherry Red Records label, on 6 July.

With a tracklist personally selected by Tony, this special edition set consists of 49 songs and pieces, many of which have been remixed exclusively for this collection, and are from his seven solo and two orchestral albums – A Curious Feeling (1979), The Fugitive (1983), The Wicked Lady (1983) (film score), Soundtracks (1986) (a combination of original scores Tony wrote for films Starship and Quicksilver), Bankstatement (1989), Still (1991), Strictly Inc (1995), and his orchestral albums Seven: A Suite for Orchestra (2004) and SIX Pieces for Orchestra (2012) – culminating in this unique collection of his eclectic and diverse music. Also included are four unreleased pieces, three of which are keyboard demos of from his orchestral suites. The other is a piece originally written for the ‘Still’ album.

Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010 as a member of Genesis, Tony is one of the most respected songwriters and keyboardists in the world. His career spans almost 50 years and has seen him sell in excess of 130 million albums. His body of work is as innovative as it is eclectic. Genesis’ avant-garde style made them one of progressive rock’s founding fathers in the 1970s, creating an experimental style of rock music never before seen. They went on to produce music with a greater pop sensibility in the 1980s that saw them become one of the biggest selling bands of the decade, and play stadiums throughout the world.

His solo work has continued in the same vein. As well as his rock albums which has included collaborations with some of the world’s most respected musicians including singers Toyah Wilcox, Fish and Nick Kershaw, bassist Pino Pallodino, and drummers Steve Gadd and Vinnie Colaiuta, as well as long time Genesis collaborators Daryl Stuermer and Chester Thompson. He has done original scores for four films – The Shout (1978), The Wicked Lady (1983), Starship (1985) and Quicksilver (1986) and most recently his orchestral albums, Seven: A Suite for Orchestra and SIX Pieces for Orchestra, that were performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra and City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra respectively. Both were met with critical acclaim with classical music aficionados, Gramaphone Magazine, saying “A rock musician goes ‘classical’ – with pleasing and often effective results… for Banks has a genuine melodic gift… The recording is good, … acceptably spacious …”.

A Chord Too Far is a celebration of Tony’s work outside of Genesis, and the beginning of re-releases of remixed versions of his entire solo and orchestral catalog... A Curious Feeling and The Fugitive are set to be released at the end of October, with The Wicked Lady and Soundtracks at the end of January 2016. Further detail will be announced soon on his other albums.

A Chord Too Far is released on 6 July 2015 on Esoteric Recordings, a Cherry Red Records label.

So does this mean we might get a reissue of the out-of-print 5.1 surround mix of "A Curious Feeling"?
And does this mean we might also get other stereo and surround remixes of Tony Banks' catalogue? If so, I'm in! :)

Well I sent this email to Esoteric:

Hi there.
I just read the press release for the new Tony Banks collection "A Chord Too Far" here:
http://www.tonybanksmusic.com/newsdetail.php?ID=34

So I want to ask, will the reissue of "A Curious Feeling" later in the year contain the out-of-print 5.1 surround mix released a few years ago, and will the other reissues also contain 5.1 surround mixes?

Thanks for your time!

Hope Springs Eternal! :)

All hail the King of Wishful Sleuthing..!! :worthy

Hah! I like that title.
I sincerely hope that the surround mix will be reissued. I've heard it, and it is very good, but not good enough to pay the amount of money it goes for on eBay as of now… :confused: (Especially since it's DVD-V)
It would also be nice if they could reauthor this as a DVD-A, especially since they have done such great DVD-As for the Hawkwind and Anthony Phillips releases, but I'll still take a reissued DVD-V over nothing! :)

Back