Upgrading a Fosgate Tate II 101A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realize that this is a thread from some time ago, but I decided to change my unit to 230V and replace the transformer core to get finally rid of the humming sound.
Although Mandelatz mention that it is easy, I don't want to take a risk and want to use the wiring diagram too.
Is there a wiring diagram of this unit available? Who can provide me with a copy?
Thank you in advance.

Hi. Clemens

I am pretty sure that there were no Service manual produced for the Tate unit just a user manual, it was tied up with secret patins at the time.
Bill.

I am pretty sure that there were no Service manual produced for the Tate unit just a user manual, it was tied up with secret patins at the time.
Bill.

Hi Bill,
thank you for your reply.
There should be a wiring diagram (schematic) available based on following:

...And, additionally, for all people interested: Jim Fosgate himself was so kind to send me a (signed ;-) copy of the schematic. Please be aware, that the three Fosgate ICs are the secret of this device - the schematic does not explain their function.

Unfortunatly, the scan files are too big for uploading (even as highly compressed JPG). If someone is interested, please leave a message or PN.

Recently I tried to contact Mandelatz to obtain a copy but unfortunately I did not receive a reply.
Maybe someone else has a copy or got a copy from Mandelatz at that time.

Hi Bill,
thank you for your reply.
There should be a wiring diagram (schematic) available based on following:

Recently I tried to contact Mandelatz to obtain a copy but unfortunately I did not receive a reply.
Maybe someone else has a copy or got a copy from Mandelatz at that time.

Hi. Clemens
That sound interesting if that schematic is around I would like a copy to, because I have the same problem you have with my Tate unit noisy transformer I have found a Audio- teck how my do the work for me if any body knows of any one how has this schematic please jump in and help.
thanks Bill...

Bumping this old thread, does anyone have a schematic for any of the Fosgate units?

I had no idea this thread existed, I'm glad you bumped it.
About the only modding I did to my 101A was add some high quality film caps for power supply de-coupling. I never considered doing much more. Certainly the suggestions for replacing the 4066 switchers is good as well as replace all those coupling electro caps with films. I never tried to source a torroidal Xfmr to replace the stock but I agree that would be good too.

I did do some up-grading to my Fosgate Model 5. All the TL084 IC's were changed out to higher quality tho I would have to open the case to refresh my memory as to specifics. Power supply was improved a bit. This was Fosgate's first product with a lot of tiny surface mount stuff. I had to take it to an electronic prototype shop to have these changes made. In the end the Model 5 is just an under-whelming decoder none of the decoding modes impress me & I really hate remote control only with very little status indicators on the front panel. Maybe I should re-visit this unit. Not being SQ or Tate maybe I could suss out circuit function & tune up.

Anyways... it seems member @Mandelatz is the only one with a schematic of the 101A. He hasn't been seen since 2012. I suggest we both send a PM to him & try to get his attention.

2x .tif files
That is awesome thanks!! I never thought I'd ever see a schematic for the 101A. But here it is, even with mystery modules. I'd suggest make a post for this in the QQ Library section so it can exist apart from this thread.

I should probably do the same for the Sansui QSD-1000, another hard to find schematic.

I'd like to point back to an earlier thread starring Steve Kennedy. It has a lot S & IC info but also touches on the Tate DES that I think would be relevant to adjusting the 101A. Which, BTW, Steve says: don't do. Post#22.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...s-space-image-composer-tate-audio.2645/page-2
I messed with the internal trim pots on both my units(returned them to their original positions using photos of the red paint marks) and they still outperform the Involve with test tones, probably didn't need to do it though.

That is awesome thanks!! I never thought I'd ever see a schematic for the 101A. But here it is, even with mystery modules. I'd suggest make a post for this in the QQ Library section so it can exist apart from this thread.

I should probably do the same for the Sansui QSD-1000, another hard to find schematic.
The mystery module (Interface) is just shown as a block, but it's listed as Q8 the same way the IC's are designated. It has no pin numbers so must still be a discrete circuit?

Back